i just dont understand.....

Options
I have felt like i have eaten all day, and yet it says i was under my calorie count, but when i exercised it added more calories. Is it just a general rule to eat calories fitness pal tells u, and exercise?

Replies

• melindapipkin
    Options
    i try to eat around 1200 calories a day, but when i exercise it adds more calories too, but i dont use those calories up, if i did that would kind of defeat the purpose of exercising wouldnt it?
  • Marcia_11
    Marcia_11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It is VERY important to eat back your exercise calories. If a person was eating 1200 calories and with exercising you burnt 500 calories you would only be running on 700 calories to feed your body. But eating those 500 calories puts you back at 1200 for feeding your body. So in actuality you have eaten 1700 calories for the day. Hope this helps.
  • Cindigirl
    Options
    yes exactly, thats what i wasnt understanding. Thank u
  • gteachey
    gteachey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There's actually a posting somewhere on this...I don't have it at the moment. But yes, you want to eat those calories.

I'll find the article and be back in a sec....:wink:
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Eating exercise calories really depends on the person. Some people eat theirs, some don't, some eat some of them. It really all depends on how you feel that day. I say, if you're hungry, eat them, if not, don't, but what I do is try my best to get my net calories to my daily goal, which is 1200.
  • gteachey
    gteachey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    oops forget it...thanks Mar_11 you posted that as I was typing this out!
  • Stac3783
    Stac3783 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have come to find that if i don't eat some of my exercise calories, then my body thinks it's in starvation mode. I have upped my Calorie in take to between 1200-1400 calories a day and I've started dropping weight. it depends on the person, but you may NEED those calories, only if they're good calories, good carbs and Protein!
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    what mar said. LOL! :laugh:
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    I think it depends on how many calories you have for the day. Me, I have 1200 calories for the day and if I exercise I have to eat those back because my body isn't running on enough calories. But I think it depends on the person. Say you have 1400 and burn 200 calories for the day, you are at 1200 so it would be up to you to eat them or not? As long as you are not going under that 1200!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Eating exercise calories really depends on the person. Some people eat theirs, some don't, some eat some of them. It really all depends on how you feel that day. I say, if you're hungry, eat them, if not, don't,....

Ditto!! If you are hungry and you have room great, if not don't worry about it. You don't HAVE to do anything. The most difficult part of weight loss is figuring out what works for YOU. For me, I just keep my calories in the 1400-1600 range and I don't worry about my exercise calories. I was shocked to see I was just under 1100 calories today, so I had an extra half cup of brown rice w/dinner and a piece of dark chocolate. I am stuffed and there is no way I am going to cram another 500 calories down my throat just because that's what I burned off exercising.
  • maxolivia
    Options
    go MAR!
  • Lacigirl11
    Lacigirl11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So what is the point of burning calories if you just add them back on i am actually confused abiut this too cindigirl!! ugh..
  • Cindigirl
    Options
    thank u i would love that :)
  • Cindigirl
    Options
    Yes Laci, but i have got some great help.... and as long as im not hungry, im not going to eat over my 1200
  • melindapipkin
    Options
    i am in the same boat as you lacigirl, i dont understand the whole calorie thing either
  • Lacigirl11
    Lacigirl11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    im just gonna stick with what MFP gives me before i burn any calories!! thats the only thing i know to do!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should eat them, because your net intake shouldn't be below 1200. I was confused about it too, until I went to my goals page and saw a little descriptor there explaining "net calories consumed." Your daily calorie goal is NET calories: calories consumed minus calories expended with exercise. So eat them.