WHY is THAT even IN the exercise database?

Options
OhCora
OhCora Posts: 72 Member
I know that there are MANY ways to burn calories, but some of the things in the database really confuse me. I was looking to track my calorie burn after doing 50 minutes using a push mower to cut my grass. (The old fashioned, no motor way) THAT type of exercise, which I assure you was very much a work out for me, is not there. Fine. Add my own. But "mowing lawn, riding mower" IS listed. WTF? Sitting on your butt, driving around your lawn. pfft. And the calorie burn is just slightly less than walking for the same amount of time? Um, no, I don't think so!

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Because while crowd sourcing is great for some things, it also produces ridiculous stuff as well.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered why intercourse is not in the database, I would like to log that 30-45 mins as cardiovascular.
  • brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh cora:

This may not help with your question but I have also found when logging exercise through MFP that the calories that are registered through the program for a given amount of time are alot. I wear a Polar FT4 heart monitor when I work out and when I mow the lawn, was told that is the most accurate way of finding calories burned during an activity. I find that any given activity, the heart monitor calories burned are approx 400-500 calories less than what MFP lists with the same exercise
  • brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Jescamp:

Iam impressed with the time alottment lol :)
  • OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oh cora:

This may not help with your question but I have also found when logging exercise through MFP that the calories that are registered through the program for a given amount of time are alot. I wear a Polar FT4 heart monitor when I work out and when I mow the lawn, was told that is the most accurate way of finding calories burned during an activity. I find that any given activity, the heart monitor calories burned are approx 400-500 calories less than what MFP lists with the same exercise

That's the same HRM that I had, just before we moved. and I lost the little monitor part. :-( Yeah, I don't find MFP count very accurate either. I found that I burn more walking than it says, but burn less for other things. and as I get more fit, and lose more, my burn is lower. (zumba at 250+ pounds would rake in about 950 cal/hour, but at 200 it is about 680)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think a general rule of thumb for a lot of people is that if they did that activity in their pre-MFP days, it doesn't count as activity to be logged.

That said, an afternoon working in the allotment or lifting boxes when moving house may not be the first thing that comes to mind when people think of excerise, but it's exhausting and can make you ache the next day.

Stll, I sorted the recycling, cycled to work and got laid before I lost weight. Sadly I can't claim any of these activities as a work out.
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered why intercourse is not in the database, I would like to log that 30-45 mins as cardiovascular.

I just started three days ago and I'm disappointed it isn't listed. That's the majority of my pre-MFP exercise...