Cheap calorie burn counter heart monitor thingy?

Options
I just bought a sportline 560 duo one at walmart and I hate it when I was not using it it counted calories consumed! is that not also what they call calories burned?. It does not explain a damn thing in the manual other then what all the buttons do and hell half the time I can't even get it to go where I want it to!.

I'm looking to buy a different heart monitor/calorie burn counter for like under $80 if I can help it can any one suggest a easy to use one that really tells you what everything means and all that? Pls help!

Replies

• ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Calories consumed are calories eaten,calories burned are those you used through exercise.
  • MorganaLeFae
    Options
    Ok so basical this watch does f-all when it comes to calories burned. and I don't know how I ate 2500 calories yesterday when I all I ate was maybe 1000. so this watch does not do what it says it can do!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Your monitor won't tell you anything about calories CONSUMED. It will estimate calories burned during cardio exercise (not all day, not during rest). It's useful, if you need an estimate of what you burn during exercise, and moreso to monitor your exertion levels or do HIIT.

A Fitbit Zip is $59 and will estimate your calories burned all day and synch with MFP. It too has a learning curve, though. People get frustrated with it, often.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    every calorie counter seems to get a different number for me, but if you're looking for general burn, most people love the polar FT4 and FT7. or you could get the polar H6 or H7 - they don't come with the watch, but you can use them with a number of apps for your phone including map my fitness, which will then sync with MFP.

i recently got a fitbit, and it really isn't the perfect solution for me as its numbers tend to me pretty general, also.

you could use the HRM you have, and if you don't trust its calories burned numbers, you could use this
    http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

if you want to track your food, MFP is a great place to do it, and then you can add in your calories burned and voila!
  • MorganaLeFae
    Options
    I'm taking this sportline POS back to walmart and get my money back for that. and I'm buying a polar ft4 just saw the user manual for it and it explains stuff.. unlike the POS I bought yesterday!. Thanks itsbasschick for the imput!
  • LSinVA
    LSinVA Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 that I bought from Amazon for $60-ish. I love it. I would have no idea how many calories I'm burning without it. Setting it up with all your info takes about 10 min but worth it.
  • brirandle1
    brirandle1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree LSin Va:

I love my Polar FT4 heart monitor. I wear it any time I go to the club or mow my grass. It is easy to set up and was told by a trainer that it is more accurate than the heart monitors on the machines in the gym. I think I can say that it also saved my life when I noticed my heart rate would raise after just a little time on the elliptical. Went to hospital and turned out that I had several blood clots in my lungs. It truly makes me feel more confident and safe when I work out :)
  • MorganaLeFae
    Options
    It took me 20mins to setup that sportline pos. I just bought the Polar FT4 at amazon. I hope this thing works better then the pos sportline. I mean it should it cost more right.. and brirandle1 your lucky I know that stuff can kill if not caught in time!