Busy moms, can you relate?

Options

Replies

• szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:00 AM every day to workout at home. Currently finishing up Jillian's 30 Day Shred and then will be moving on to the Ripped in 30. I can usually be done and showered before my three kiddos wake up. It was a real big PAIN at first to get up that early, but now it is just a habit and even on days when I try to "sleep in" I am up by 5:15.

Everyone is different so the type of exercise and the time of day will vary. I think the important thing is just to plan a set time and then stick to it. Pretty soon it will become a habit and you won't even need to think about it!
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of 2 who works full time and I will say that it is HARD! You really have to make a committment....

The things that help keep me on track are:

-walk everyday at lunchtime and workout at the gym before I pick up my kids (this may go away, due to potential new job - then will change to AM workouts)
    -plan and cook stuff for meals on the weekends so that weekday mealtime is not as time consuming
    -be okay if I only get to lift weights in the gym 3 times a week - maybe the OP can go on the 3 days off?
    -on days when I do not get to the gym like I wanted to, I fit in my workout with my kids - they think it is fun to try and do videos with me (and comment about how I am not supposed to be on my knees to do pushups :smile: ) maybe the OP can take the kids for a walk?
    -don't feel guilty, because making time to exercise and be healthy is teaching your kids that it is important to exercise and be healthy
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think most mom's can relate. Life in general is busy...and it can ge a struggle to do anything. But I feel it's a choice moms make to not make the time. I'm a single mom to a 3 year old, it's busy of course. But I make the time and mother's guilt can suck, feeling bad for not spending any extra time with kids is horrid, but if you are happier when you get that workout in then its all worth it and not something to feel guilty about. I agree that if I see someone else doing it all and being a super mom I feel like it's a great example not someone trying to boast.
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Married mom of three.

Full time job.

Graduated graduate school last year, graduated law school this year.

Studying for the NY bar exam.

I prepare healthy meals and run. Every. Single. Day.

Stop making excuses. You want it? Do it.

I don't understand why people post stuff like this on these boards when someone is looking for support. Big kudos to you for having it figured out, and I mean that honestly. Not all of us are there just yet.

I suppose my tone reads as harsh. But that's what it comes down to: your own motivation. There are countless blogs, articles, etc on how to workout, eat better, spend more time with your kids, prepare nutritious meals, etc etc. But in the end, it comes down to "you." No one can make you change your behavior. If you're "too tired" to go for a walk and watch TV instead, that's a choice, and it has consequences. SO I guess my best advice on getting started in changing unhealthy habits is to fake it til you make it. Too tired? Do it anyway. You'll feel better tomorrow, and eventually it will become a habit.

I hope that was more helpful.

I wouldn't necessarily call it harsh. But it was dismissive, not helpful, and not what the OP was even asking for in her original post (tips and commiseration). I do appreciate that you modified your post, and I don't disagree with your overall message. I just think when someone seems to be struggling with juggling it all and is reaching out for help or at least some empathy, "tough love" isn't always the answer.

Again, congrats on your success.
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    while I do appreciate the general message you're trying to get across and the fact that you are actually correct. Yes your tone came across as harsh lol

and no I'm not "too tired" I'm TOO TIRED there's a difference snarky Mrs. snarkyson. On the other hand congrats to you for all your accomplishments and I mean that genuinely. You should be proud, and I'm sure you are :-)
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I just came in here because I thought the title said, "B-u-s-t-y" moms. My bad.
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    oh boy we have a funny man....:-P
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    Married mom of three.

Full time job.

Graduated graduate school last year, graduated law school this year.

Studying for the NY bar exam.

I prepare healthy meals and run. Every. Single. Day.

Stop making excuses. You want it? Do it.

I don't understand why people post stuff like this on these boards when someone is looking for support. Big kudos to you for having it figured out, and I mean that honestly. Not all of us are there just yet.

she gave support in her own way. personally, i like what she said. do it, and find a way to do it.

I also amended my post, if someone would notice that :) My point is, motivation is internal. I have 24 hours in a day. So do you. Do what you want with them, even if it's hard. Again, "fake it til you make it," then it will be habit, and you and your family will be happier and healthier. Best of luck.

Thank you :-)
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    while I do appreciate the general message you're trying to get across and the fact that you are actually correct. Yes your tone came across as harsh lol

and no I'm not "too tired" I'm TOO TIRED there's a difference snarky Mrs. snarkyson. On the other hand congrats to you for all your accomplishments and I mean that genuinely. You should be proud, and I'm sure you are :-)

I definitely know the difference between "too tired" and TOO TIRED. :)

Hang in there and know it's a struggle a lot of us have. I have found as my son has gotten older, I feel less guilty about not spending all my free time with him, so it's easier to prioritize working out. Hopefully, you will find the same thing.
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    ok so again THANK YOU THANK YOU to EVERYONE for ALL of the comments. I feel better knowing that i'm not in this boat alone. There are a lot of working mamas and we can get it done!! In fact last night when I got home I felt pretty good. I guess I was just having a bad couple days and was letting it mess with my head. Today hubby and I are going on our bike ride with the kiddos and I took a power walk this morning and i'm heading out for another one right now.

Thanks again to everyone I have some new ideas and motivations for working out and dinner plans and I intend to put them to use. :-)
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Is there a husband or life partner that can share the workload?
    My day is similar to yours, but I get a lot of help and support from my husband that has been critical to my success.
    As for being too tired and/or exhausted to exercise, if you want to do it, you'll do it.

My children are a bit older, but we have the same hectic schedule. It comes down to priorities. Getting at least a 30 minute workout is a priority and I've worked it into my schedule. My family knows that when I walk through the door after work, I strip out of my work clothes, put on my workout gear, shut my bedroom door, and workout for however long I can before I need to do my mom/wife stuff. I don't go to a gym and never would - that's just not my cup of tea. I workout in my bedroom to DVD's or I run, hike, bike, etc. My hubby is extremely supportive and that's a huge help. My kiddos are very supportive and they know I'm a happier mom if I get some me-time. We have taught them them that exercise should be a priority, so they don't question it when I tell them I can't do something with them or for them because it's my workout time.

Good luck to you. I hope you find what works for you!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Mom to one, work full time. My suggestion is to make easy meals, lower your expectations if necessary, and just find a way to do it.

1) Easy meals. We eat meat + cut up raw veggies and/or fruit + a starch at most meals. No sauces or casseroles that take time to sit and bake. No steaming of vegetables. Fruit is often berries that are still sitting in a small colander on top of a cereal bowl. No fancy presentation, in other words. Also, I don't usually eat the starch so I don't make it. My husband and daughter are the ones who want rice and potatoes so they make them. Also also, my husband is home before me so he gets dinner started most days. I do the shopping and think up the meals and then he gets it started. Is your spouse helping out? If not, why not?

2) Heavy cleaning is done on the weekend, basic stuff (i.e., washing the dishes) is done during the week. My house is not spotless and if anybody complains about it they are welcome to pick up a mop or leave.

3) I can't leave the house in the morning to go to the gym because my husband isn't home (works nights) and I can't leave our daughter home alone. This means I workout in the basement three days a week. The other three days, I work out either in the evening or, on Saturday mornings, I let my daughter sit in front of the TV and watch cartoons while I run (husband is asleep but in the house so she's not home alone.) Sometimes I don't leave the house to run before 9 p.m. Sometimes I have to do half of my workout in the morning and then find a few minutes to do the other half in the evening. Whatever. I just get it done.
  • jenmcdav
    jenmcdav Posts: 67
    Options
    I used to exercise in the mornings too and lately have switched to sleeping in a bit and cleaning some in the mornings. I need to get back to the pre-work exercise. if you want a texting buddy, I'd be up for it! I could use the motivation too. send me a friend invite if you want.

(oh-- work full time, mom of a 7 year old and 3 year old, cook and clean up, yada yada yada. we're in the same boat.)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am in order to get my workouts in.

It stinks, but I do it. And thank goodness because it keeps me sane.
    Then I work my 40 hour week, come home and do every single chore. I pack lunch for myself, my two children and fiance.

You either want to work out, or you don't.
    If you want to you will make time.

If you don't you'll make excuses. No way around it. No sugarcoating.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I go about my business, I'm doing fine
    Besides what would I say if I had you on the line?
    Same old story, not much to say
    Hearts are broken, everyday.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bunch of excuses and I can totally relate there. I don't want to work out. I have other things I'd rather be doing, other obligations, I'm tired, etc. But they're all excuses. You just have to find time and make yourself do it. Good luck.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Mommy of one beautiful boy. I am EXHAUSTED during the week. I wake up between 3:35am and 4:30 am (depending on my workout for the day) to work out while my boys are still in bed. That way it doesn't interfere with my time with them. My wonderful husband gets my son ready, and makes breakfast most days. If not I do.
    I have an hour commute one way with my little guy during the week. By the time we get home, hubby has dinner started if he's home, if not, I get it done. Dinner together, play a little, and get lunch and snacks ready for the next day. Our bedtime routine starts at 7:30pm. I'm in bed by 8:30pm, sometimes 9pm at the latest.
    I realize I am immensely blessed by the amount of support and help my husband gives. But regardless, I get my *kitten* up and make time for my workouts because it's important to me. On the weekends, I'll do yoga at home before the boys get up and sleep in till 7am. We also try to keep active and go on hikes and walks.
    Best of luck!
  • replesco
    replesco Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Mom of a 3 yr old and 2 month old. It is hard right now. I work 50 hours a week and am on-call 24/7 on top of that. I wake up at 5am to get ready for work and have been falling asleep around 10pm with at least 1 middle of the night feeding. I'm lucky I have a supportive husband that does equal work with both kids and watches them so I can get 1-2 trips to the gym in a week but I need to do more. It is on me, and I get that, but it is hard because the only thing I want to do with my free time is sleep.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said.

I can relate, I have two boys, 3 and 5. I work full time, and during the school year, my husband has a very long commute so I'm doing pick up and drop off.

I agree with the suggestions to try to make time whereever you can find it - I have been getting up early this summer to work out and that has been going well, but I'm not having to take the kids in the morning so I don't have to leave as early. I know it will be harder when school starts again and the days get shorter and colder! I also try to get out and walk on my lunch break at work - even 20 minutes makes a difference (I use a FitBit and that helps me get to my daily goal).

I also agree with the crockpot meals, doing meal plans, cooking food in bulk on the weekends, etc.

Someone mentioned lowering your expectations - this is definitely where I struggle. I feel like if I don't have a real home cooked meal on the table, and instead we just do sandwiches, then I have somehow failed. Or if the house isn't clean and we have people coming over, then they are going to think less of me. This is something my husband tells me all the time that I need to learn how to let go of my unrealistic standards for myself, and also be willing to accept help when it is offered, something else I struggle with.

There was a Working Mom's 2014 Forum on MFP started earlier this year, but I don't think anyone has been very active in it lately. Everyone is probably too busy being busy working mom's!!!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I also work 4 10 hour days and come home to 3 teenagers who need to eat and be carted off to hockey, basketball, cross country practice. The only way I can get a workout in is to do it at 5am. The alarm goes off at 4:30 and I use the bathroom, put in my contacts, brush my teeth, and out the door I go. M-W-F I go the gym near work and T-Th I run and shower at home. I don't have to worry about the kids in the morning during the summer since they are old enough to stay home and during the school year DH gets them on the bus before he leaves for work. He works out after work.

ETA - the key is prep. I food prep on Sunday and every night I have my breakfast, lunch and clothes all ready to go for the morning.