Female Weight Lifting- Toning

Options
I'm lifting light weights in an effort to tone (5-10 lbs depending on exercise), and I'm wondering, how often should I be doing that? I do a class twice a week where we lift light weights, I know I won't bulk up too much, and I really want muscle definition, but obviously I don't want to overdo it. The guideline saying that you need around 48 hours to recover, is that only for people who want to bulk up, or is that for any weight lifting?

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Here's an example of my weight training and I am lookin for definition (athletic look) Chest and back twice a week legs twice a week and shoulder, biceps and triceps twice a week. I do roughly 4 to 6 different things for each muscle group 3 sets of each 8 to 10 reps but I try to lift heavier weights. I was always taught that if you can't feel the burn what's the since of lifting weighs! It's nothing for me to do 15 reps using 15lbs for chest presses. I lift heavier 20lbs and can only do 6 to 8 reps if I am lucky. But you also got to look @ form to. Idk, I just think that less than 10lbs is useless. But that's me:smile:
  • SweetCharity
    Options
    I say lift 3 times a week and do cardio 3 times a week. Each muscle group needs 48 hours to recover. So if you do biceps one day, you should wait at least 2 days before you work that muscle group again. Muscle burns fat, so you definitely want more muscle on ya. And you're right, women don't bulk up without actual effort. It doesn't happen by accident. Our bodies aren't meant to get huge naturally, so women with huge muscles purposely made them that way :)
  • kellytaylor13104
    kellytaylor13104 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not a certified trainer, but I would say that recommendation is for true weight lifters. I've always used the rule of thumb not to work the same muscle groups two days in a row. From personal training sessions I've taken in the past I've used the following lifting combinations: day1: triceps/biceps day2: chest/back day3: legs/shoulders.

Good luck and congrats on all your met goals!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hi my daughter is a weightlifter check out her web site it is for women. She is training for the 2012 Olympics
    prettystrongblog.blogspot.com/
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    get the book "the new rules of lifting for women" and "the female body breakthrough". lifting is AWESOME and the only way to get a toned body..cardio alone wont do it. i am in week 4 of NROLW and week 6 of lifting in general...and i have lost 15 pounds, eat all day (the right things..protein and fats) and for the first time in too many years love what i look like. im strong and getting stronger..have endurance (do interval training), speed and definition. Oh...and HIP bones! that i can actually see, along with my ribs :D:D:D::D:DD:
    its well worth it to add weights to your program.