Why can't I do them both at the same time???

Options
Ok.. I have been on this weight loss battle for the last 14 years. In the summer of 2001 I lost 30lbs on weight watchers (I started at 180 or 185) and was getting a lot of compliments. I was only watching what I ate and not working out, so surprise.. I plateaued then I moved and got so frustrated I gave up. I also found out that my marriage was not as great as I thought it was. So that put me into a depression because I couln't get over what my husband did.

Now. I am at almost my highest ever. 220.5 or so (I started MFP at around 226). I now am really getting the exercising under control, almost everyday; but now I can't get the diet to be under control. I start my day off good, and then at night I am just so busy, I lose it.

I wan't to lose the weight and feel good and look good.. but why can't I do both diet and exercise well instead of just one?

Any ideas/ thoughts????

Replies

• skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    My understanding is that diet is more improtant than exercise. Focus on that first and foremost... then the days that you can focus on exercise, exercise- even if it's only 20 mins or whatever.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not the easiest thing in the world. You exercise, you feel like you should be able to treat yourself. But it just comes down to how badly you want it. I find that on the days I exercise, I don't really want to mess that up, so I eat better. When I don't exercise, I want to eat something more yummy than broccoli. :) You CAN do both diet & exercise at the same time. You just have to work at it. You didn't gain overnight and a lifestyle change doesn't happen overnight either. But you'll do it. :) Good luck!
  • albobier
    Options
    I think you're not alone! :) It is tough to balance both! But I find it easier to eat good after I work out. I like to eat breakfast, hit the treadmill, and then enjoy the rest of my day-- I find that I usually eat better after I've worked out b/c I don't want to "waste" the work out! :) But also remember that on your work out days you have to eat extra calories. You need to allow yourself more to fuel your body through the exercise.

It's also a lot of trial and error. You have to find the low-cal, good for you foods that you enjoy and can keep you on track! Because yeah, it's hard to eat good if you're eating something you don't like. And sometimes it's all about portion size. You can have about anything... just make sure you're having a healthy portion of it. Not the WHOLE pan of brownies... just a 2 in x 2 in square or so.

It takes time! Good luck!
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    With food, I find that it's much easier to pay attention to portion size rather than an "actual diet". I still eat what I want but I only do the portion size suggested. I also put my dinner/breakfast what ever on my daughters plate. This way my portion size is smaller. because I'm not trying to fill the big plate. If i go over my calories for the day, I try to quick get a little exercise in. Do a couple jumping jacks or push ups around the house. Or clean up really good. Cleaning is very good exercise if you can't actually get a work out in.
  • rtrautmann
    Options
    It's been pretty hard for me to get into a balance or routine.
    I'm only slowly starting to add the exercise now - and I've been "dieting" since last February. I'm taking it really slow. I had a huge problem dieting in the past because I tried to cut everything out at once and just sort of throw myself into the dieting/exercising realm without preparing myself - you can't just DO it. You can add one or two days at a time. It makes a difference overall!

Good luck!! (:
  • rsonthelake
    rsonthelake Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A thought - don't set either goal to high at first. 5 pounds a month, and 20 minutes a day. Increase the amount of exercise and you get used to it, etc. You can have both. Good Luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! You just need to set yourself up for success. Don't buy junk food, soda, candy, ice cream, etc. so that you make absolutely sure you're eating only healthy foods. Find some good, healthy recipes and learn how to cook them. Cook foods ahead of time so you can pop them in the microwave when you're busy.

It's tough at first, but hang in there. Stay positive and believe in yourself, and you'll be able to do it!
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    Congratulations on restarting your weight loss program.

Here's something that I do, it's a little anal but it works for me. Maybe it will work for you.

I log my food for the next day or so. I am not beholden to the numbers but if I log that I will only have a turkey sandwich and an apple for lunch then I somehow make that happen. I also have a better idea of how my day is going to look and I am able to spread the calories around so no single meal is heavily loaded with calories. This also gives me a chance to project "reward" treats at the end of the day.

If you seem to "lose it" at night then do your food diary beforehand. You will have a better chance of committing to the numbers if you have entered, written and accounted for them.

Looking forward to reading other people's ideas as well.
  • kilroyscarnival
    kilroyscarnival Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When you start exercising, your body will want more food, so if you've been dieting successfully by itself, you may need to eat more strategically. When do you exercise, morning or evening? Do you wake up hungry? When you get to the point where you wake up hungry (and have something protein rich in the morning) and get used to going to bed tired but not over-full, it'll get easier. Chances are you are getting too hungry by dinnertime because you aren't fueling your body enough during the day. Try a small, measured snack about 2 hours before you usually get hungry for dinner. Again, protein (cottage cheese, maybe, or some deli turkey) will make you feel fuller longer. It's also a good time to make sure you're hydrated. By dinner time, see if you aren't more in control.

Finally, make sure you're getting enough deep sleep (the exercise should be helping there) -- being tired always makes me want more food, especially carbs, even when I don't need them.
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    Planning ahead is key. Freeze leftovers so they can ve eaten when you've had a long day and just want something quick. Also I have bought the weight watchers smart ones for the nights I feel lazy so I won't be tempted to hit taco bell. And fiber rich foods really do help keep you fuller longer! You can do it, if I can anyone can! :happy:
  • BrownSquare
    Options
    I also eat the same foods just try to make them slightly smaller. I try to stick to the calories - usually it's give or take anywhere from 100-300 or so. I also was under the impression that the exercise is something to fit in when you can, 20 minutes or so like the above post said. There are days when I only do 10 minutes of yoga; I just try to do what I can with how hectic the days can get and not make myself crazy- be kind to myself. I hope this helps!!

:smile:
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your frusteration! a few years ago, i took on dancing 4 nights per week I thought I'd lose a bit of weight and instead gained 10 pounds! nutrition is much more significant to weight loss because we can easily eat more than we burn through exercise without even realising it.
    but, there are some great benefits from exercise beyond the burn, like stress relief, improved circulation, improved bone density, improved insulin sensitivity and on and on....
    after about 10 years of trial and error, and trial and success (I've maintained a 40 pound weight loss for 9 years now) I believe your highest priority should be your nutrition, but find some low to moderate activities you enjoy. you can add more intensity later.
    best of luck to you!!
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Here's something that I do, it's a little anal but it works for me. Maybe it will work for you.

I log my food for the next day or so. I am not beholden to the numbers but if I log that I will only have a turkey sandwich and an apple for lunch then I somehow make that happen. I also have a better idea of how my day is going to look and I am able to spread the calories around so no single meal is heavily loaded with calories. This also gives me a chance to project "reward" treats at the end of the day.

If you seem to "lose it" at night then do your food diary beforehand. You will have a better chance of committing to the numbers if you have entered, written and accounted for them.

that's a great idea!! I would love a planned treat!
  • kris41tin
    Options
    Here's something that might help...

I always make my breakfast, lunches and snacks for my workdays in bulk. 3 salads with a protien (I love costco chicken breasts or tuna) for lunch, yogurt with frozen berries and 1/2 cup high fiber cereal( breakfast), and maybe a boiled egg and a fruit for a snack). ( Keep your day around 800 calories, so you have 600+ left for a decent dinner.)I premake and bag them in the fridge on sunday for 3 days worth, then again if I work more days that week. Make sure you have healthy food planned for dinner and a treat at the end of the day...like a skinny cow or a healthy choice fudge bar . if you need a treat, don't go nuts. I have one every night, but just 1.
    Don't have a bunch of junk to choose from. Diet is more important than exercise in the beginning. When you lose a little weight, you will start to feel better and more motivated to work out. Be good to yourself and remember that you deserve to be healthy and happy. Love your body by feeding it with healthy food, celebrate your life and forgive your bad days. We all have them.

Best of luck to you.
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

This is also my strategy and it works nicely for me. I usually use the time that I am sitting infront of the tv relaxing at the end of the day (after working out) to sit and plan my meals for the next day. I will sometimes also leave my meals packaged or ingredients ready if I am cooking. Doing the prep work at night while I watch tv packs 2 activities into the same time slot so I don't feel like I don't have enough time in the day and then I do not have the excuse the next day/evening of being too tired to decide what to eat then and it keeps me from making poor nutritional choices while hungry and if there is something specially tempting that I just have to eat, it is planned into the next day's totals too and use it as a definite incentive to get my workout session for the day!
  • Camellian
    Options
    Exercise, especially intense exercise like cardio, increases your appetite. Which makes it harder to stay on your diet.

If calories in < calories out, you WILL lose weight. Exercise is NOT the only way to break a plateau -- try calorie cycling instead.

As a side-note, studies are finding exercise to be less beneficial to dieters than many people think. The more you exercise, the more efficient your body becomes at exercising, and the less calories you burn for the same amount of exercise. And, if at some point down the road you stop exercising (don't have time, etc.), you'll probably continue eating the same amount of calories as when you were exercising -- which is one of the main reasons dieters gain the weight back!

Which isn't to say "don't exercise" -- it is good for you -- but picking a form of exercise you enjoy and will stick with (even if it's only light exercise like going for walks) is much more important than picking a form of exercise that burns a lot of calories.
  • miucifer
    miucifer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My therapist asked me to do 150 minutes of walking a day, with 10 minutes as a minimum. If I walked 10 minutes at a time, it counted as part of the 150, and as exercise for the week. If I did 15, and 15 later that day, it was 30 total for the day. I found this to be the easiest thing to do! I would say, start with your diet. Its the ultimate part of weight loss. Do light exercise if you feel so inclined, but I would get your eating to a place where you're confident you are in control. Then you can worry about the exercise. The brisk walking for me really works. (I do it more for my mood than anything else. I'm not depressed anymore!)
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. I will take them and try some of them out..

Some I have tried at and failed, but will try again until I can find a balance that works for me.