127 pounds later and my stomach still is huge!

Options
I have lost 127 pounds and my stomach still looks like it did when I weighed 325 pounds...I cannot stand to look at myself in the mirror without clothes! I have to look away

Replies

• reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You're crazy! I can speak first hand... knowing you in real life that it DOES NOT.. you're just being your own worst critic! Be proud of what you've accomplished dear! <3
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    First, look how far you've come! That is an amazing weight loss and took dedication. You now need to do lots of strength training and core work to tighten things up, as well as look in to options for getting the excess skin removed. I believe it can be a covered procedure under certain circumstances.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You should see me in a bathing suit.....not pretty...
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    You're crazy! I can speak first hand... knowing you in real life that it DOES NOT.. you're just being your own worst critic! Be proud of what you've accomplished dear! <3
    Oh, and for sure this. It would be impossible for it to look the same after that amount of weight lost. It's smaller for sure, it's just hard for you to view it that way.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/swimwear.html

Suits to flatter any body type!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    That amount of weight loss will usually result in excess skin. Unfortunately the only option is either acceptance or surgery. The important thing is that the weight loss lowers the risk for health issues that are weight related.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aprilflower18232
    Options
    I know I'm going to need surgery eventually...but I think I still have more fat then skin still (I still weigh 198). The problem is affording the surgery....
  • Sozu
    Sozu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, so far you done an awesome job really! You been doing great progress I see on the photos as well.
    What's your length? and what's your weight goal?
    Maybe continue cut down in weight and that last fat will go away :) I suggest both cardio and strength training.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/swimwear.html

Suits to flatter any body type!

:love: OMG! Those are gorgeous! There IS a suit every one there.

OP--Tough love here---You've lost 39% of your weight already (yeah, I did the math). No way should you allow yourself to be consumed by mind lagging behind in what you see in the mirror. So what? Your belly has a way to go still. So what? It'll get there; it's always the last to go. Yes, you have the "apron". It will reduce some, there are surgical options for those who need it when you're ready. For now, it's your annoying badge of honor for an epic, and well-earned weight loss journey.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Join the club lol. But you know what, my theory is I would rather the excess skin then the fat.

I believe (from looking at your pictures) I am shorter than you and I lost over 150 lbs (also topping up at over 320), and my tummy (under my clothes) is VERY VERY droppy and so are my thighs I cant wear a skirt/ dress shorter then my my knees unless I want to show it off. BUT I dress otherwise, I wear tightish shirts, skirts and dresses and when I think of how much I hated how I looked before I lost my weight I realize that ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

I hope to one day have the surgery to remove the excess skin and tighten it all up but until then I learn to accept how I look each day. But I think how you feel (and how I felt, and somedays still feel) is part of the of becoming used to not being that big anymore and leaning to get used to the new fabulous you.

p.s. it does suck to not be able to wear a swim suit and feel comfortable, I joke that my 80+ year old grandmother looked hotter than me in a bathing suit lol
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you're wrong.

I've lost almost as much as you have and I felt the same way. I too was wrong. What's happening is that, because you once had an extraordinarily obese torso, your abdominal area just looks like a smaller version of it's biggest size. So the shape likely hasn't' changed that radially therefore it looks the "same size" to you.

Speaking from experience, the lowest I've been in my life was about 140 lbs from the highest I've ever been. My stomach didn't really start to change all that radically in shape until I was knocking on the door of pretty low body fat levels. Genetically I, like my brother, sister, and mother, carry a very disproportionate amount of fat in the lower stomach area. It just takes getting pretty lean to see that shape change.

But the size? Oh yeah, that's definitely changed for you. No such thing as losing over 120lbs and maintaining the exact same size stomach.
  • aprilflower18232
    Options
    I am 5'4 my goal is 140
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    It does take time for the image in our minds to catch up to reality. You've made big changes - celebrate them and keep going. Sometimes we hate the 'in-between' looks more than even the 'before', but keep going. Your body is still changing, and the health benefits are amazing.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to need surgery eventually...but I think I still have more fat then skin still (I still weigh 198). The problem is affording the surgery....

Try looking into it. There may be programs in your area to help with that.
    You may be able to donate excess skin to help burn victims. I cannot say for certain, but years ago a friend was able to do this after losing weight from her gastric bypass surgery.
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You've done such an amazing job, don't be so hard on yourself! I promise you, it's much smaller than it was, it's just hard for you to see it. It really does take time for the mind to catch up. Someday soon, you'll catch a glimpse of yourself and think, "Damn! I look good!" Really!

Also, I know it's hard when you've worked so hard and your body isn't what you dreamed of. It will take time, but the loose skin will tighten up a lot--you're still young. Just keep working at it, improved health is worth it.

:smile:
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile picture I see a huge difference. I find for me I am becoming more self conscious about how I look the more I lose. Sometimes I have to see some before pictures to remember exactly where I came from.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I know the frustration. I've lost over half my body weight, and my belly still wants to hang around. It's really disheartening sometimes. But your belly isn't anywhere near the size it was, you can see that plain as day in your avatar pic. Besides, you aren't even in the normal weight range yet, right? Don't freak until you get to your goal weight, then see what you have to work with. And if you end up needing surgery, go for it.

Oh, and those bathing suits someone linked to are gorgeous.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

You may need surgery eventually, but you are young so your skin will likely adjust eventually. I realize that doesn't help you now, but get a good lotion (I'd get one designed for pregnancy) and keep yourself well hydrated. It should correct itself some over time. How much is hard to determine.
  • redheadedgal
    redheadedgal Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    We can be our own worst enemy. I am pear shaped, so I will ALWAYS hate my hips and thighs. I do have a nice butt though. Maybe you should focus more on something about your body you do love. But yes, insurance will most of the time cover a panniculectomy (similar to a tummy tuck) but sadly nothing will cover a lower body lift.....except for out of pocket. You have done great and that is an accomplishment you can really be proud of. :flowerforyou:
  • JessMell16
    JessMell16 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Girl you look amazing. I know that you were expecting to see less rolls. But mostly that is just excess skin. I am exactly where you are. I'm down over 120 lbs. The excess skin is what I see when the clothes come off. What others see is a smaller body. What you need to do is look in the mirror. Pick out all of the things that you DO like and embrace them. Keep working. The last bit to lose is the hardest. Stay positive. You will get there. Everyone is right. Continue your diet and cardio. Add in strength training. Try planks and push ups.