Guidance needed

Options
BoxerBrawler
BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
So I am having a hard time hitting my carb percentage. I keep going over a little bit. Can anyone take a look and make any suggestions on how I can further eliminate some carbs from my plan? I eat a ton of veggies I know and I love my dairy (yogurt) and it works for me and my overall health. I know I have items on there like Josephs Lavash... but that is low carb (4 net carbs), and my air popped popcorn. I think overall my other macro's are appropriate although I do have a hard time hitting my protein everyday but I am getting close. Any ideas/suggestions would be great.

And no, I don't have any dietary or physical issues that restrict me from carbs. I just find that a low carb diet works with my nutrition plan and makes me feel really really good :)

Thanks

Replies

• AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    From what I see (only went back 2 weeks) you've only gone over once and that was because of hot fudge. I think you are on track, but be mindful of the pastas and breads. Keep up the good work.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Oh yeah... hot fudge! haha
    I do allow myself a treat now and then of course. Well maybe I am just to key on hitting the exact number. I am a scorpio it's just the way I am.

But I figure if I have it set at 20% and go over by five or ten that is still considered low, correct? I think anything under 50% is low...?

Thanks
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I looked back through your diary. Great job logging!

It appears that most of your carbs are veggies/fruits. My diary is open if that helps you. I try to keep to keep my sugar/carbs low as well.

One thing I noticed was sodium was on the higher side on some days. For me personally, when I keep my sodium down, I find that I feel better, less bloating, etc.

You are doing a great job with your protein. I do a lot of my protein in the morning. I do the different supplements. I add them to my coffee as creamer. I also LOVE quest bars. I eat that as a desert and it is 20g protein.

Hope that helps. Keep it going-you got this.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    And no, I don't have any dietary or physical issues that restrict me from carbs. I just find that a low carb diet works with my nutrition plan and makes me feel really really good :)

Thanks

what exactly are you considering to be a low-carb diet? i took a look at your diary, and you've got 125g of carbs allotted each day. most low-carb diets i've seen (and i'm a long time atkins girl, m'self) don't usually go above 50 or 60 grams per day while in weight loss mode... usually lower.

the point of going low-carb is so that your body stops burning sugar/glucose for energy and starts burning the stores of body fat instead. so if you can handle higher amounts of carbs and still lose weight, more power to you.

however, if you want to eliminate the carbs from your diet, there's a lot you can get rid of. fruits, cereals, breads, the peanut butter, the ice cream, and the popcorn could all go. you could swap those with increases in protein if you don't want to lose the calories (considering your workout routine, it looks like you're definitely burning them off!).
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips!

I thought I was doing low carb but had no clue really where to set my macro so thanks for the advice!
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips!

I thought I was doing low carb but had no clue really where to set my macro so thanks for the advice!

as a quick-and-dirty guideline, for the first two weeks your carbs should be under 20g or 5% per day. nothing starchy, no potatoes of any kind, nothing wheat, oat, corn, or rice-based, no sugars - including fruit. any and all meats (lean, fatty, or otherwise) are pretty much free. stick to leafy or cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, celery, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, spinach, all lettuces, radishes, leek, cucumber), flax or chia seeds. no nuts, yet. no milk, but heavy cream, cream cheese, sour cream, and any full-fat hard cheese (including fresh mozzarella) is fine. i noticed you mentioned that you love your greek yogurt, but it's a little high for this first phase. you can switch to using full fat sour cream with a little bit of stevia and a teaspoon or so of vanilla extract. i can't tell the difference between that and regular yogurt.

sometime during the first few days you might start feeling sluggish and like you're coming down with a cold. don't panic, it's called "induction flu" and everyone goes through it. considering how much you exercise (impressive, by the way!), it might hit you faster but you can power through it faster and get to fat burning. induction flu is nothing more than a slow-motion version of when marathon runners carb up, hit "the wall", and then get their second wind. the second wind is when you switch to complete fat burning. if you don't notice yourself going through this, congratulations :smile:. you'll probably notice your calories going up, but don't worry. you're already burning them like a demon with all of your exercise, and you may also find that you are more satiated, even at the same caloric level, because of the fat content.

after the first two weeks, you can start adding carbs back in, but SLOWLY. start with about a cup of strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, carrot, or nuts. or you can just increase your other veggies. go up by 5g of carbs per day each week until you get to the point where you stop losing weight. back off just a little to keep losing weight, increase to just above that level when you're ready to maintain.

the last things you'll add in are the grains, pure sugars like honey and agave, and high sugar fruits like bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, etc.

one of the biggest conceptual roadblocks a lot of people have is getting over the idea that full-fat products are bad, low-fat products are good. when manufacturers create low-fat or fat-free items, they're increasing the sugar content to make the foods palatable (seriously... check out the nutritional content on a bottle of fat-free ranch dressing and regular ranch dressing... it's sickening how much sugar we put in our bodies that we wouldn't ever realize otherwise).

considering that you don't have much to lose, i don't think it'll take you long to get to your goal. but no matter what, just remember that you will need to add carbs back into your diet SLOWLY... fruits and veggies first, grains and sugars last.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thanks a million for the information! It certainly helps :smile: