office party treats

Options
anewdesign
anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
hello all!

this week is my week to bring a treat in to the office on friday. so far, people have brough buttery baked goods and icing with cupcakes. i need a delicious treat thats not so high on the calorie or carb count.

ideas?

Replies

• fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Although not low cal, scotcheroos are always the favorite in my office.

I've been eyeing this fruit pizza recipe that would be more healthy http://pinchofyum.com/no-bake-mini-fruit-pizzas
  • Ilgamuth
    Ilgamuth Posts: 17
    Options
    Portion sized to eat with your hands or plate and fork type? How many people are we talking about?

Cut up fruit, like a selection of melon which isn't that expensive to get for a lot of people and is easy to portion, have never gone wrong for me. Or nicely spiced popcorn.

Or is this a more complicated thing?
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For individual servings, what about angel food cake cupcakes topped with cool whip and strawberries (or other berries)?

What about this strawberries and cream trifle? http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/strawberries--n--cream-trifle

This chocolate cake from skinnytaste may not be low in carbs, but the calorie count is pretty good: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/homemade-skinny-chocolate-cake.html
  • anewdesign
    Options
    there are 6 of us, and i like simple things.
    i was thinking like cucumber cups with goat cheese and something..
    or chips and salsa..
    roasted chickpeas?

i dunno. nothing too complex, but still yummy enough its like a treat
  • torchwoodpixie
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Heathers-Cilantro-Black-Bean-and-Corn-Salsa/

This is a simple, healthy, and delicious salsa recipe you could do. Bring in some healthier tortilla chips (or bake your own) and that could work.
  • Ilgamuth
    Options
    With 6 people you can get creative!

A nice salad, like tomato with feta and a little olive oil (with optional bread for those who wants it),carrots and hummus
    or if you want something sweet then strawberries with some kind of yoghurt dip. But for me I would stick to melon, and since there are so few people you can get more diverse kinds and you can also add some sort of dip for the people who wants it.
  • Ilgamuth
    Options
    Cucumber cups sounds amazing.
  • Ilgamuth
    Options
    This looks delicious
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessseinfeld/healthy-and-delicious-take-to-work-snacks-87eq

Sorry, I'll stop spamming you now. I should probably just go eat something.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    This is awesome... People at work request it all the time and is really really good with baked tortilla chips or I have used green and red pepper strips.. Hope you like it..

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/skinny-taco-dip.html

This is my daughter Karina's favorite dip, which she has nicknamed "the stuff". It's easy to prepare and everyone always wants the recipe when they try it. Serve it at your next party with your favorite baked tortilla chips and play around with the toppings – try jalapeños, scallions or avocados.

Skinny Taco Dip
    Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1/24th of dip • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 59.2 • Fat: 3.6 g • Protein: 2.2 g • Carb: 4.7 g • Fiber: 0.6 g

Ingredients:
    8 oz 1/3 less fat Philadelphia cream cheese
    8 oz reduced fat sour cream
    16 oz jar mild salsa
    1/2 packet taco seasoning
    2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded fine
    2 large tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
    1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
    2.25 oz sliced black olives

Directions:

In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, salsa and taco seasoning and mix well with an electric mixer. Spread on the bottom of a large shallow glass dish. Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese and black olives. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
  • HM1971
    HM1971 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Jello cake (poke cake). Use fat free jello and light cool whip.
  • anewdesign
    Options
    thanks for all your suggestions guys!
    grocery shopping is tomorrow - keep em coming!
  • Kelligirl8921
    Options
    Popcicles

Angel food cake with berries

Rice krispie treats are surprisingly low calorie.

Trader joe's has some guilt free options and even has recipes on their website.

Lately, to satiate my sweet tooth, I have been eating lemon drops.
  • tawnywest
    tawnywest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Nourishwithin.com has some great raw food desserts. I just made the raw brownie recipe for an office picnic. It is awesome and super nutritious made with dates, cacao powder and pulverized walnuts and mesquite powder. 1/12 of the recipe, like one square, is 264 calories but they are all nutritious, guilt -free calories.
  • Stlarenas
    Stlarenas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My go-tos for this type of thing are similar to a couple above:

Cowboy Caviar with Tortilla or Pita chips

(This is close - It tend to not measure when I cook :) )

1 can black beans drained and rinsed
    1 can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
    10 oz frozen corn
    1 red pepper diced
    1/2 med cucumber diced
    1 large avocado diced (I choose one that is firm - not too ripe)
    1 tomato diced (or grape tomatos work too)
    1 large jalepano minced finely
    1 small red pepper

Dressing:
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup apple cider or balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup sugar - I don't think I used quite this much
    Seasoning to taste - salt, pepper, fresh cilanto, cumin

OR

Strawberry Trifle

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/strawberry-trifle

I do lighten this one up a bit subbing non fat milk, lite sour cream, sugarless pudding, lite cool whip instead of whipped cream
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Can never go wrong with fruit ....particularly melons. Honey dew, watermelon, cantaloupe are all in season. So are blueberries, strawberries, kiwis, mangos, pineapples, grapes. Mix it all up into a nice big fruit salad.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Go to ambitiouskitchen.com -- there are loads of incredible dessert recipes. I highly recommend the peanut butter chickpea blondies and the black bean avocado brownies -- Don't ask me how, but you taste nothing of the primary ingredients, they're easy to make, and they're effing delicious.

Yes. I said effing.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    We do a similar thing at my work. Its an office of 8 ladies. Often its donuts, chocolate krispie squares, cookies, bags of crisps etc.

Then one magical day...one of the ladies brought in strawberries dipped in dark chocolate, sliced honeydew melon and cubes of assorted pineapple/watermelon/cheese on cocktail sticks and we all raved over it!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Is your office even open on Friday? (July 4th) If so, just get past the lower calories and make something you know you are good at making and everyone will enjoy. You don't want to experiment and it not be good and everyone doesn't like it.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I do roll-ups. Fat free burrito shells, 1/3 less fat cream cheese with whatever veggies you like as a spread. I always have onions, carrots,olives and celery. But I have also added cucumber, peppers, chives, dill, chopped up broccoli stems, whatever you like and as much as you like but cut them very small. (yes you can buy the veggie cream cheese, but I like adding my own fresh veggies) Spread the cream chese mix on the shells, put on a layer of deli meat (I've done ham and turkey but anything would probably be fine) roll them up and put 'em in the fridge for at least an hour or two then slice them in inch (or so) discs and serve with salsa or nothing. I've added other stuff to the cream cheese mix- some yogurt would work, a little ranch or blue cheese dressing, lite mayo, etc. Oh I add hot sauce to the cream cheese mix as well. It's nice to have a little spice :laugh:
  • allnamesgone
    allnamesgone Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This Friday? The 4th of July? For real?

I'd either do a red white and blue fruit bowl with strawberries, blueberries, and banana slices or get some big juicy strawberries, dip them 2/3 of the way in almond bark, then dust the bottom third with blue sprinkles and have red white and blue strawberries. But those cucumber cups sound like the bomb!