Advice for soreness?

Options
Just started JM's 30 day shred yesterday and after 2 days am feeling SORE all over. Do I just deal with it or are there any ways to alleviate?

Replies

• AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Eat more bannana.

Oh and foam roll.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    stretch, water and keep it up
  • mrsdmiller74
    mrsdmiller74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is just me, I had been sore for two days, like literallllllllly sore till I could not hardly move. I took a bc powder yesterday and I do not feel any pain at all. I feel like I have not even worked out.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Walking, stretching, foam rolling, massage, hot bath, drink water....

I mean none of it will work but you will feel better for trying. :laugh:

Just do the workout again as soon as you can safely and soreness wont be as bad the next time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you just started, so it's normal to feel sore. like others said, warm up before the work out, stretch and cool down after the work out.

also, 30 day shred is just a marketing name. it's not designed to be done for thirty days straight. do it 2-3 times a week.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ice baths after though workouts help... but they're not for the faint of heart!

Also, be sure to give your body a break if it's telling you it needs one. If you're sore to the point of not being able to move normally, swap out your high-intensity workout for a long walk and deep stretching instead. If your muscles are damaged, they need time to repair themselves if you want to stay injury-free!
  • BriVaughan
    Options
    A few ways that I alleviate soreness are:

1. Soak in a hot bath with Epsom Salt for about 20 minutes
    2. Stretch out your muscles for about 15 minutes
    (Even though it may hurt at first because your muscles are tight, if you keep stretching, you will loosen up, and you will not really feel the pain as much for the rest of the day)
    3. Use Icy Hot on the sore muscles

Also make sure to drink lots of water too. For me, even though it's awkward, I don't feel as sore when I drink water, but I'm not sure how it'll work for you. After a few days of working out, you won't really get sore anymore, you just have to get used to the exercise. Good luck! :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Also, be sure to give your body a break if it's telling you it needs one. If you're sore to the point of not being able to move normally, swap out your high-intensity workout for a long walk and deep stretching instead. If your muscles are damaged, they need time to repair themselves if you want to stay injury-free!

ice baths can be beneficial, but not immediately after a work out. it can prevent protein synthesis, which is what you need to happen to allow your muscles to recover
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Eat more bannana.

Always eat more banana. :love: :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just keep doing what you are doing- sore comes from not using the muscles.

So you can reduce the impact/pain by foam rolling- stretching- saying hydrated- but ultimately the long term solution is to keep doing what you are doing. It'll go away with repetitive workouts.
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    Definitely don't skimp on the post-workout stretches. I used to, because I'm an impatient little *kitten*, and I was always so sore the next day that I couldn't sit down or stand up without sounding like my grandma. "Ooooh my poor back/legs/knees!" Since I've started devoting 3-5 minutes to stretching at the end of my workouts, I'm not nearly as sore.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You're new to exercise...comes with the territory but it will get better. My advice would be to start slower...as Capt_Apollo noted, do the shred 3 or 4 days per week...work up to a greater level of fitness...just diving in and going to hard to soon is usually a recipe for burnout and ultimately dropping out.

Beyond that, make sure you're doing a proper warm-up and stretch and cool down afterwards. I'm a big proponent of foam rolling as well as nice hot baths with epsom salt.

As your fitness improves, things will get better...just start slow and progress at a reasonable pace.
  • Angelica0530
    Options
    Wow I did not expect to get so many responses so soon - thanks everyone! I am doing the pre and post stretches along with the video, but I'll probably do some extended post stretching on my own and I will definitely keep hydrated.

If I'm not supposed to do the shred 7 days a week, does anyone have a recommended schedule? and should I take it easy on the off days or do some other exercise?
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

ice baths can be beneficial, but not immediately after a work out. it can prevent protein synthesis, which is what you need to happen to allow your muscles to recover

Interesting... I've never heard this before. Can you point me in the direction of some literature to read up? (I'm not asking to be snarky, I'm genuinely curious.) Everything I've researched relates the benefits to circulation but I've never seen a reference to protein synthesis, positive or negative.

When I was training for my first marathon, I hated ice-baths but I know they made life after my long runs MUCH more bearable!