Any Yoga People?

Options
Are there any yoga people out there?

Over the years I've started and stopped practicing several times...never really getting what I wanted out of it but always returning to practice. Most of the time I'd over do it and then have to lose a few weeks and start over again. This time it's been different. I started off small...even it if was only 10 mins. I kept at it nearly every day for a little more than a month. Now, I love it! I can't wait to get up in the morning and practice some more.

I'd love to find someone else to talk to about my yoga experiences...

Replies

• sqigglet
    sqigglet Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, I do a yoga class twice a week and love it! There is even a relaxation part and breathing exercise part built in etc. I would love to be able to practice it in the morning like yourself but with young children i find it near impossible to imagine doing it. I think you get out of it what you put in don't you. I only started a couple months back and stick to the classes religiously. I find it so intresting and enjoy building sequences up and if i'm stressed in gerneral it seems to help put everything into focus and calms me. The breathing xercises I have actually used once during a very traumatic situation and really helped me and felt great that I had taken away something from the classes.
    I see some people doing yoga on the beach some mornings...now that looks like bliss. Do you know the movements or do you use dvds? I have looked into some dvds but just dont have the time alone at home to settle into that...maybe oneday ay?
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I have just started taking a yoga class and I am hooked! I really love it. It's been interesting to discover areas of my body that are totally inflexible and other spots that are more flexible than the other side.

I dream of going on a retreat someday. But first I want to focus on getting to class more than once per week!
  • nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Feel like a newbie as I've been practicing for a year. Still need to do more home practice, but i do love it, rather unexpected! Please feel free to add me, as would be lovely to discuss yoga practice and see you logging your practices to encourage me too!
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    started a few months ago-Missed the past 2 weeks because of work-so I practice at home and work. I also added Weights to my work outs and to my yoga posses
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    There's an entire group of yoga people to talk to on mfp:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group

I've practiced for 14 years and a teacher for 6 years. I'm working on a certification in the Iyengar method. I practice nearly everyday, with the goal of 12 hours a week.
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Love yoga as well. I am a on again off again praticer (if that is a word lol!) for 20 years. Just seeing this thread made me see that I need to start my practice again as I have been so stressed. I have never taken a class. I have videos, and books, and used to do the ones off the TV. None are still on that I know of.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Here's another that loves it. I have only been a pratcing this for about 6 weeks, but I love it. My friend that comes with me, isn't quite as enthusiastic tho.

I want to practice more than I do.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I just started and take a class once a week but use some of the moves throughout the rest of the week. I must admit( and I did to the instructor) that I was quite skeptical about it! Now I look forward to yoga days. It really is an excellent add to balance out my cardio days and lifting days.
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Meeee!

I love yoga. I prefer classes as I don't have the room or the time to work out at home, and I would not do it properly I think.

Ideally I do 2 x yoga classes a week and one express bodybalance. But at the moment due to instructor maternity leave I am doing 1 yoga class, 1 express bodybalance and 1-2 normal bodybalance per week. Still - it is all good and I feel great after each and every class :)
  • RogueinSF
    RogueinSF Posts: 20
    Options
    I am a power yoga person. Some people don't think it is "real" yoga, but it is what I like and nothing has made me stronger or feel more unified. I used to practice at a studio, but then I moved and haven't found one I like in SF. I started to doing it at home, but I don't tend to work as hard or sweat as much as I do in class (my old studio was heated as well).

I actually have a yoga question: what is with the yoga moaners/groaners? I have practiced for several years and not once did I feel the desire or need to moan and groan my way through class. This is actually why I started practicing from home. I think studios should have some form of etiquette for those who don't get the part where the other people in class are trying to concentrate and focus on their practice and don't necessarily want to be brought out of it by someones loud noise making. I was really bummed that the studio I was going to didn't have a better etiquette policy. Anyway, I am curious how other people deal with this? I have run into a couple of times, but the last two studio classes I went to had a particularly bad offender.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I really loved yoga and especially ones mixed with pilates, but there was always something about that low calorie burn that made me stray from it. 26 minutes and I only burned 60 calories? A 26 minute bike ride with 20 different cross walk stops still burned 137 calories...

I love yoga but I hate my pudge more than my love for yoga. Sadness...
  • itsgottago
    itsgottago Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So nice to meet you all.

I made myself a little yoga area (spare room) an I'm loving it. I haven't had a problem with any moaners or groaners. I can relate with the low calorie burn but I find that yoga is changing (hmmm I'm not sure that is the correct word) how I feel towards being overweight and food.

I feel that I'm more aware of my fat (not really a pleasant sensation) and I'm also more aware of my choices and the food I eat...so I think I may see a loss in small accumulative ways. I'll keep you posted!
  • sqigglet
    Options
    I am a power yoga person. Some people don't think it is "real" yoga, but it is what I like and nothing has made me stronger or feel more unified. I used to practice at a studio, but then I moved and haven't found one I like in SF. I started to doing it at home, but I don't tend to work as hard or sweat as much as I do in class (my old studio was heated as well).

I actually have a yoga question: what is with the yoga moaners/groaners? I have practiced for several years and not once did I feel the desire or need to moan and groan my way through class. This is actually why I started practicing from home. I think studios should have some form of etiquette for those who don't get the part where the other people in class are trying to concentrate and focus on their practice and don't necessarily want to be brought out of it by someones loud noise making. I was really bummed he studio I was going to didn't have a better etiquette policy. Anyway, I am curious how other people deal with this? I have run into a couple of times, but the last two studio classes I went to had a particularly bad offender.

Lol at moaners and groaners. I have several in my class. From when I look at them making the noises I just feel they are so at one or in the zone etc such in a relaxes state their body goes along with noises ahah. I actually think fairplay to half of them for being so relaxed or what not. I on the other hand when the teacher says close your eyes for this part etc I am always on guard one eye open ahah. I also have many in my class that pass wind at certain movement...honestly. The first few times I went i was
    shocked at all the above and when i looked around in shock no one else was shocked so kind of realised this was standard in the class ahah.
  • sqigglet
    Options
    So nice to meet you all.

I made myself a little yoga area (spare room) an I'm loving it. I haven't had a problem with any moaners or groaners. I can relate with the low calorie burn but I find that yoga is changing (hmmm I'm not sure that is the correct word) how I feel towards being overweight and food.

I feel that I'm more aware of my fat (not really a pleasant sensation) and I'm also more aware of my choices and the food I eat...so I think I may see a loss in small accumulative ways. I'll keep you posted!

Your yoga area sounds fab.
    Yes i feel it makes you more aware of your body especially in certain positions etc that is great that it is helping with your choices to fpod etc. I enjoy the escapism i think just having that hour away from manic day to day life where you can focus 100% ans feel calm etc i love it so far.
  • klyn05
    klyn05 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a yoga lover as well. Goal is to get much more advanced, but there are so many positives about it, and I have improved drastically since I started about a year ago. Love talking with those who also benefit from yoga! :flowerforyou:
    I'm into power yoga as well, though some don't agree it's the same.