Help! This isn't working!

Options
Hi. I have gained somehow 10 pounds this past year and am trying to get it off. No matter how I track or exercize I cannot lose a pound! I might lose one but then 3 come back. I am really strict and sticking to this but I am actually gaining weight on the 1200 calorie count. Every doctor has suspected thyroid problems since I have other symptoms but all say I'm in the normal range. I'm getting beyond frustrated as this should be working and I'm healthier than ever in my life! Anyone else having a problem like this? I'm desperate

Replies

• skinny0000
    skinny0000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How long have you tried?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    how do you measure your calories? 1200 calories is very low unless you're somewhere under 5' tall - are you?
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Unless you're using a food scale, chances are that your calorie estimates are off and you're eating more than you think you are.
  • MrsBryant923
    MrsBryant923 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can't really offer insight since I can't see your diary.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    How long have you been back to logging and exercising? Your ticker shows 4 lbs lost. Weight loss isn't linear. How often are you weighing yourself? I fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in a single day and 2-3 lbs in a day or so depending on activity (if I start a new exercise, start a new cycle in lifting where weights increase), maybe I haven't pooped lately, sodium from that chinese food is masking loss, etc.

Opening your diary could give us a better idea of where to go. Also, have you read this?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • shoebox8402
    Options
    The 4 pound loss is wrong not sure why it's saying that. I've been doing this for 6 weeks. I am 5"4. Age 29. Female. The 1200 calories was set after I entered my info. I do weigh my food and when I eat out for work use the restaraunts nutrition guide to make sure I'm accurate. It's like I'm extremely bloated now
  • shoebox8402
    Options
    I weight myself twice a day and yes do fluctuate but even ignoring the scale numbers my clothes don't fit. That's my main concern.
  • karl41uk
    karl41uk Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm new on here so I hope to make some friends and get some support and help you guys out too.
    I only weigh myself once a week and in the evening,don't weigh yourself every day as your body can
    Alter by 2-3 pounds or more due to fluid retention.I find if I go to the gym and workout I put weight on,
    Why is that?? Karl xx
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    1200 is low, especially for only needing to lose 10 lb... and be thankful it's not your thyroid! Trust me, it's no fun!

Try eating a bit more.
  • saltqueen99
    Options
    It took me 9 months to lose 11 pounds on 1200 calories and 3 weeks to gain 6 back. That was a year ago and I have lost 3 pounds in the past year. I work out almost every day, watch what I eat even when I am not counting, weigh, measure and log when I am and still not losing. I am over 60 and wonder if that is contributing. Some meds do the same thing. Don't give up. You are worth it.
  • saltqueen99
    Options
    It has to do with your muscle mass. But you should weigh less two days after you work out. And be sure to rest a bit the day after you work out. Walking is good every day, but you need to give your muscles a rest between workouts. If you work out every day, use different muscle groups. Good luck.
  • shoebox8402
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast and eat as little as possible at lunch so I can eat a meal at dinner. Could that be hurting me? I find if I eat breakfast or lunch i am just hungry all day. If I skip those meals I am not ravenous at dinner
  • shoebox8402
    Options
    1200 is low, especially for only needing to lose 10 lb... and be thankful it's not your thyroid! Trust me, it's no fun!

Try eating a bit more.

Do you have thyroid advice on numbers? Since this started my TSH has gone from 1.2 last May, 2.63 in sept, 3.78 in feb and 4.25 this may. Every doc says that's fine.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Try eating a bit more.

Do you have thyroid advice on numbers? Since this started my TSH has gone from 1.2 last May, 2.63 in sept, 3.78 in feb and 4.25 this may. Every doc says that's fine.
    My TSH was good, too. I kept being told I didn't have a thyroid problem. They didn't do a full thyroid panel.

By the time it was detected, it was so big it was strangling me, lol. I had a lot of trouble breathing. I gagged all the time when eating and especially when drinking. The thing was freaking huge and he actually told me to stop coming in about it.

Then I got a better doctor, who didn't have to be convinced, who sent me to a good endo, who sent me to a surgeon, who cut it out. Problem solved, I could now, after decades of struggling all the time, lose weight.

Go to an endocrinologist if you want to be sure. Doctors miss thyroid things sometimes.

Otherwise, keep trying new doctors, maybe it's something else! Eat healthy food and exercise more. Give it time. Scale fluctuations are normal and to be expected. It doesn't mean it isn't working. Stick with it for a couple months before you determine that you aren't losing even a pound. That's all I can say.

I hope it gets better for you. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast and eat as little as possible at lunch so I can eat a meal at dinner. Could that be hurting me? I find if I eat breakfast or lunch i am just hungry all day. If I skip those meals I am not ravenous at dinner

Skipping breakfast shouldn't hurt your weight loss as long as it's not causing you to overeat later in the day.

How long have you been at this? Are we talking about a stall of a few weeks or a few months?

Would you be willing to open your diary for us to take a look? It really can help to see what might be happening.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I'm wondering how late you're eating that "big" dinner. If you eat then go to bed too soon afterwards your body is going to have a hard time processing it. I frequently find that if I eat too close to bed time it has a negative impact on my numbers. The more dinner calories, the bigger the impact.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I'm wondering how late you're eating that "big" dinner. If you eat then go to bed too soon afterwards your body is going to have a hard time processing it. I frequently find that if I eat too close to bed time it has a negative impact on my numbers. The more dinner calories, the bigger the impact.

No it doesn't.

OP, if you make your diary public, people will be able to better help you.
  • shoebox8402
    Options

Try eating a bit more.

My TSH was good, too. I kept being told I didn't have a thyroid problem. They didn't do a full thyroid panel.

By the time it was detected, it was so big it was strangling me, lol. I had a lot of trouble breathing. I gagged all the time when eating and especially when drinking. The thing was freaking huge and he actually told me to stop coming in about it.

Then I got a better doctor, who didn't have to be convinced, who sent me to a good endo, who sent me to a surgeon, who cut it out. Problem solved, I could now, after decades of struggling all the time, lose weight.

Go to an endocrinologist if you want to be sure. Doctors miss thyroid things sometimes.

Otherwise, keep trying new doctors, maybe it's something else! Eat healthy food and exercise more. Give it time. Scale fluctuations are normal and to be expected. It doesn't mean it isn't working. Stick with it for a couple months before you determine that you aren't losing even a pound. That's all I can say.

I hope it gets better for you. :)

An endo won't see me without a referal. I'm so frustrated. I'm soooo tired, I've been losing my hair, brittle nails, cold feet and hands, extra heavy period, dry skin that's so itchy, painful joints. I actually had an ultrasound done on my thyroid in march after an ent said my neck looked "funny". I had been noticing it in photos too. Luckily there were no nodules or cancer but the right lobe was bigger than the left. Maybe I'm just off balance but I'm so tired working out everyday for the past 3 months and sticking to healthy 1200 calories. Basically starving and getting no help because doctors assume it's just my anxiety disorder or ibs. Sorry for the rant. I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired.
  • medimae
    medimae Posts: 6
    Options
    I know it is hard to be working so hard and not getting the payoff... but ask yourself how much you'd weigh today if you hadn't been putting in the work to lose it, In all likelihood, you'd have gained more... hang in there... its worth it... never quit.
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I think your caloric intake may be too low. You should be able to eat three reasonable meals a day. Skipping meals is always a bad idea. When you skip meals, you are starving your body and it will hang on to every source of energy because it doesn't know when you are going to feed it again.