Breastfeeding and calorie burning

Options
I am new here...today is my first day. I was over 300 calories today :(. But the calculator does not take into account me nursing my baby. He eats about 2-3 oz a sitting and he eats about five times a day. Is there anywhere I can document that...or that doesn't count?? I read that breastfeeding burns some good calories....I want credit for it! :).

Replies

• kpeacocke
    kpeacocke Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found this information for you, from breastfeeding dot com. I hope it helps.

Breastfeeding burns calories. Over 600 calories a day for breastfeeding women who don't supplement with formula. 600 calories! That's like getting two hours of aerobic exercise each day. A study published in the Journal of American Dietician Association shows breastfeeding melting off inches around your hips and buttocks. The reference is below.

Reference

Summary: Mothers who breastfed exclusively or partially had significantly larger reductions in hip circumference and were less above their prepregnancy weights at 1 month postpartum than mothers who fed formula exclusively.

Author: Kramer, F.,

Title: "Breastfeeding reduces maternal lower body fat."

Published in: J Am Diet Assoc 1993;93(4):429-33
  • pamelasaulters
    Options
    I used this site when I was breastfeeding and getting ready to go on a beach vacation! I allowed myself 400-500 extra calories, since I believe that's approximately what they say you should increase your daily food consumption by to provide for baby's needs. Good luck! If you're as sleep deprived as I was, it's a tough battle.
  • pamelasaulters
    Options
    By the way, I have a blog that you may be interested in -- especially if you're still getting up at night with your baby! Check it out if you'd like ... I even post healthy recipes every now and then :) www.alabourofluv.blogspot.com
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options
    You are supposed to have 500 calories extra per day when you are breastfeeding....That is what I learned in nursing school during my OB rotation last fall. I also just did a second specialty rotation on an OB floor and that is also what we told our patients who were breast feeding. So, I would doc the 500 cal/day as exercise!
  • ginadenise81
    Options
    Thanks guys....just wanted to make sure ibwas not making upnexcuses and cheating my Self.
  • momtoogscjsjds
    Options
    I'm BF'ing as well but haven't lost weight really... I've actually gained :( I'm hoping that it will start coming off though.