I dont know where to begin?!

Options
Hi everyone,

I am writing this feeling absolutely lost and at my witts end about how to get back to the old me. You see, I was so disciplined and healthy a few years ago. But lately, with all the drama in my life, I let myself go. And today I am almost about to hit 200 pounds. Which is something I dont want. So I thought I better do something before it tips to a point of no return. I need moral support. To be honest, I dont even know what I am writing on here. I just feel totally lost and kind of disgusted with what I have done with my body. Help! Please! Throw at me anything that will help me. I am starting my clean eating tomorrow.

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am writing this feeling absolutely lost and at my witts end about how to get back to the old me. You see, I was so disciplined and healthy a few years ago. But lately, with all the drama in my life, I let myself go. And today I am almost about to hit 200 pounds. Which is something I dont want. So I thought I better do something before it tips to a point of no return. I need moral support. To be honest, I dont even know what I am writing on here. I just feel totally lost and kind of disgusted with what I have done with my body. Help! Please! Throw at me anything that will help me. I am starting my clean eating tomorrow.

I hit 215. It's going to be all right. You've got this. Just take it slow and be consistent.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Last year was my breaking point.
    Now you have decided it's time.
    Go for it....you got this!
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    "Even the smallest actions are steps in the right direction"

That is my mantra at the moment. I started this latest(and last) journey to get healthy 31 days ago. I felt so disenchanted with myself, it seemed hopeless. Well, here I am one month later, 10 pounds lighter. Exercising everyday, which is a big accomplishment for me, I hate exercise but, I am learning to plow through it and enjoy the rush I feel afterwords. I also have some wonderful friends here on MFP as well as a very supportive husband. You didn't put it all on fast, don't expect any miracles about getting it off.

You came here, small step, now tomorrow add another and before you know it, you'll be 31 days in and feeling accomplished. Feel free to FR me, I will help you any way I can :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tracking daily in the diary is the most important thing for me.
    I also track for the next day.
    You do not have to change your entire way of eating in one shot. Eat less.
    Also, instead of thinking about what you are giving up, add foods to your diet that you enjoy.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    If you do one thing today read the sexy pants link... here it is again.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It will get you started. Next make some friends. Read forums. Learn something new here every day.

Dont be afraid to reach out...we are here.

Add me if you like.
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    The last sentence sounds like me, "I'm starting my clean eating tomorrow". I don't want to sound mean or rude, but why not start at your next meal? Even if you've eaten half a cake for breakfast and the other half for lunch doesn't mean you AND I can't eat a good clean meal for dinner :) I started on here last April and I successfully lost 65 pounds, I've now gained back almost 35 of those pounds and I know what you mean about feeling disgusted with yourself. It's incredibly hard to shut that inner voice up and do what needs to be done. For me, I feel digusted.....I plan to eat well, I screw up and eat a bag of cookies or whatever and I say "what's the point" or "I'll start over tomorrow". Too many of those days leads us to the scale tipping 200lbs and our clothes not fitting. It's vicious cycle and it's hard to just say STOP and no more. When I first started the amount of weight I wanted to lose and the time it was going to take to lose it was over whelming and I wanted to give up. Someone told me, "yea.....it's going to take time, but what else are you going to do? That time is going to pass anyway so start now". I hope this helps and I didn't sound rude. :flowerforyou:
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Log every bite of every meal every day! You'll be surprised at how simple it can really be.
  • Ratches
    Ratches Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    One day at a time...even one meal at a time , one 20 minute work out at a time - I know I had to et over my all of nothing concept

You can do this !

Good Luck

Rachelle
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    google PALEO.... I started that 30 days ago adn have lost 30 pounds and Im type 2 diabetic and have already halfed my insulin and will be lowering it soon again...its so easy to follow and you will see great results....plus there are a bunch of PALEO people on here that will give you help...

just a thought...you do what is right for you...

i think you said something about eating clean ...well this is it!!!!!!!!!!

organic veggies and fruits.... grass fed beef.... free range chicks..... organic eggs.... all very clean foods....
    you eat no processed foods...nothing out of a box, bag, can ....all those chemicals, pesticides and other crap they put in modern food is killing us all...

i would be more than happy to talk more with you about it....

it might be just the thing....
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am writing this feeling absolutely lost and at my witts end about how to get back to the old me.

Not happening. No matter what you do you can never go back. It is never the same. What is good about that, is you CAN get to a new you. You WILL have all the discipline and things you admire, but you can build on them and be even better.

It all starts with making the choice to eat at a caloric deficit each day, or with each meal.

Consistency is key!

You got this!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Hi Nice to meet you :) You did the right thing I feel my coming here. Start by tracking your food. Even if you haven't switched your eating yet so you can get into the habit of tracking it all and then you can see really what you are eating everyday. I stick as much as possible to MFP's plan for me regarding calories and macro's. :) One step at a time and you will get there. Just remember if you fall as long as you get back up andkeep moving you will accomplish what you came here to do. Just take it one day at a time :)
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request. I'd love to support you through this process. Start today! You can do it!! :smile:
  • varuviv
    varuviv Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have read through each one of your information/advise. Today I started. I will keep logging in my calories! I feel some what better already. The fact that I didn't eat to the brim.
  • varuviv
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request. I'd love to support you through this process. Start today! You can do it!! :smile:

Thank you so much! I have accepted your request, and am so glad to have support on this journey.
  • varuviv
    Options
    The last sentence sounds like me, "I'm starting my clean eating tomorrow". I don't want to sound mean or rude, but why not start at your next meal? Even if you've eaten half a cake for breakfast and the other half for lunch doesn't mean you AND I can't eat a good clean meal for dinner :) I started on here last April and I successfully lost 65 pounds, I've now gained back almost 35 of those pounds and I know what you mean about feeling disgusted with yourself. It's incredibly hard to shut that inner voice up and do what needs to be done. For me, I feel digusted.....I plan to eat well, I screw up and eat a bag of cookies or whatever and I say "what's the point" or "I'll start over tomorrow". Too many of those days leads us to the scale tipping 200lbs and our clothes not fitting. It's vicious cycle and it's hard to just say STOP and no more. When I first started the amount of weight I wanted to lose and the time it was going to take to lose it was over whelming and I wanted to give up. Someone told me, "yea.....it's going to take time, but what else are you going to do? That time is going to pass anyway so start now". I hope this helps and I didn't sound rude. :flowerforyou:

No worries. I said tomorrow because I wrote that at 11:30pm UK time :D Thanks for info (and totally not rude) :) Thank you for taking the time to write all that for me. Your support means a lot to me, it was a dark moment yesterday.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I always lay this one out...

Whether you think you can or think you can, you are RIGHT~ Henry Ford.

Remove "TRY" from your vocabulary.. DO!!! more today than you did yesterday.. DO more tomorrow than you did today...

YOU took the time to add the weight.. take the time to lose it... be patient with yourself... and forgive yourself for making the wrong choice once in a while.. if you can't ask me.. I will forgive EVERYONE!!! (well... ALMOST everyone)

and lastly... people need food to sustain life... people need oxygen and water to sustain life... they ARE NOT optional.. IN ORDER to sustain a happy healthy life EXERCISE IS not an option... IF youhave made time to watch T.V. YOU can make time to EXERCISE.

Feel free to add me as a friend:drinker:
  • varuviv
    Options
    I always lay this one out...

Whether you think you can or think you can, you are RIGHT~ Henry Ford.

Remove "TRY" from your vocabulary.. DO!!! more today than you did yesterday.. DO more tomorrow than you did today...

YOU took the time to add the weight.. take the time to lose it... be patient with yourself... and forgive yourself for making the wrong choice once in a while.. if you can't ask me.. I will forgive EVERYONE!!! (well... ALMOST everyone)

and lastly... people need food to sustain life... people need oxygen and water to sustain life... they ARE NOT optional.. IN ORDER to sustain a happy healthy life EXERCISE IS not an option... IF youhave made time to watch T.V. YOU can make time to EXERCISE.

Feel free to add me as a friend:drinker:

Thank you so much for your advise. I am feeling a lot better today I have to be honest it is because of this tool where I can count my calories and visualise the amount that i am consuming and also having other who have been where I was a few days ago and to see the success they have had. And I agree, exercise shouldn't be an option. I am aiming to walk for 1.5 hours today.
  • TenaciousTAZ
    TenaciousTAZ Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm a former disciplined person who lost 80 lbs in 8 months....took my 5 years to gain 50 of 80, with people drama, knee injury, ankle, and torn disc to boot. I got depressed and used booze to mask physical pain. (All excuses but it's what I did)
    I still have stupid ppl drama, pain, but I'm in much better spirits (and not booze spirits). My health is my motivation, and at 43, if I don't drop weight and get stronger, my back is not going to be working much longer.
    It's a struggle, and I've have 5 major weight loss/gains in my life. This last one was the longest I kept off, so I know I can get back. I've learned that I need to have more balance in my life. I'm an on or off person. After measuring everything I ate for 2 years straight, I got tired, but that's one of the burdens I bare, because even eating too much healthy food puts weight on. (I'm sure half of the 50 I gained back was overeating healthy food)
    I've dropped 3 lbs. in two weeks, so I'm back on my way. I cook all my meals, and don't go crazy on workouts as to avoid injury. My big indulgence yesterday was a handful of tortilla chips! (organic, blue corn, no gmo)
    Anyway, add me as a friend as I know what you are dealing with!
    Cheers!
  • edimac13
    edimac13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was a balanced even handed approach: I didn't give up any of my favorite foods, I just ate less. Also, when I over ate, I exercised to compensate. Its 18 months and I'm 31 lbs. lighter. For me, "slow and easy" wins the game. Lots of luck to you..
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This is so easy it's difficult, seriously. PLEASE don't google diet plans of any kind. Concentrate on altering what you do naturally. There is no reason to eliminate anything from your diet that you love, you just limit how much of it you consume daily. Make this simple stupid and I promise you'll stick to it AND see success without confusing yourself and getting frustrated with unnecessary rules.

1. Find a good calorie calculator to see that your personal daily cals needed are. Subtract 200-500 so you create a deficit.
    2. Eat food, stay under that cal number.

And done.

You can add in exercise to help with your cardio health or muscle retention but it's not entirely necessary (healthy YES, needed.. no) It would be good to get in the gym or workout outside 2-5 days a week though for your heart. Just start at 5 mins, then 10... etc. Do what works for you.

This IS NOT a quick fix. It will take months to accomplish (took me 6 months for 30 pounds) but it took you just as long or longer to gain it so you have to be patient. Once you've reached that goal? Then slowly increase cals back to your daily needed and monitor your weight.

You can still have cookies cakes and pies... just fit them into your cal goals. ALSO, BUY A SCALE!!! It will help keep you honest with how much you are eating, American dining has destroyed our portion instincts.