What is plateau?

Options
Can someone explain to me what is meant by Plateau?
I have always known Plateau to be a good thing, and now I hear everyone talk about it like it is something bad.
So what is plateau.:huh:

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Plateau is where you got a long time without losing weight, despite doing all the right things.

Some people call not losing for a couple of weeks a plateau, but really you're looking at a number of weeks before it is truly a plateau and not just normal weight loss fluctuations.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    On average, a plateau is not losing fat pounds or inches for about 4-6 weeks. In other cases, a plateau is nothing more than being at your calorie maintenance level.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have always known Plateau to be a good thing, and now I hear everyone talk about it like it is something bad.
    A plateau is another word for eating at maintenance. This means you are eating the same amount of calories you are burning. To get over a plateau you need to look at your eating and exercise habits to find out where you might be mis-estimating calories. Also, for each ten pounds you lose, you are supposed to recalculate the amount of calories you are allowed because as we get smaller we need less calories to function. If you use MFP, they can do it for you.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Completely different from the meaning I know.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    On average, a plateau is not losing fat pounds or inches for about 4-6 weeks. In other cases, a plateau is nothing more than being at your calorie maintenance level.

This.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    greek philosopher?
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    pla·teau
    state of little or no change following a period of activity or progress.
    "the peace process had reached a plateau"
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's when the ground stretches out flat. Have to have relief or mountains or something around to have a plateau, I think. It's been a long time since I thought about it. I think that was 5th grade, lol. But it's flat land.

People use the word for when their weight loss isn't happening. Miss not going down, the line isn't moving - it's become flat, like a plateau. Sometimes people say they've "plateaued", using it as a verb. :)
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    A plateau is another word for eating at maintenance. This means you are eating the same amount of calories you are burning. To get over a plateau you need to look at your eating and exercise habits to find out where you might be mis-estimating calories. Also, for each ten pounds you lose, you are supposed to recalculate the amount of calories you are allowed because as we get smaller we need less calories to function. If you use MFP, they can do it for you.

This!!