Cashews
    Pistachios
    Sunflower seeds
    Pumpkin seeds
    Almonds
    Pecans
    Peanut butter
    Almond butter

Also, if you don't already use a food scale to weigh your foods, buy one.

this. exactly this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do what you did to get fat, but don't go overboard this time?

Being a retail associate (not sure how many times per week) I would guess that your intake should be >1200. You can have the burgers and loaded potatoes too. You'd be surprised at what you can eat once you dismiss the notion of "dieting."

QFT
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    It's good that you are going to start weighing and measuring your food. The one thing you did mention was hamburger helper, that is actually high in calories - 2 cups will get you to 700+ calories. Anyway - I think you'll find that once you start to change your eating lifestyle you'll be able to get the proper amount of carlories in. Be sure to open yourself up to all types of foods, I think if you look and say I need to eat salad, veggies, fruits and those things are really not your favorite you'll tend to lose your desire to eat because the food doesn't appeal to you. Eat what you like as long as it fits into your macros.

I've lost over 40 lbs and have not cut out a single food that I ate before, I just don't eat a much it at one time.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Secondly, I was on bedrest for almost a year, then had surgery and haven't been able to get out of bed other than for physical therapy for 6 months. I wasn't really eating a lot then, either. But not being active at all (walking, running, working, etc.) caused me to gain quite a bit of weight. Since then, I've been unable to lose any.

You gained weight because you ate more calories than you burned. Which means you definitely ate more than your BMR, which I'm betting is more than 1200 calories.

Resume eating some of the foods you cut out (in moderation). You had no problem getting to 1200 before, I don't understand why its a problem now.

If all else fails, ice cream.
  • Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Having trouble meeting your net calorie goal due to lack of appetite is one of those good problems to have if you are trying to diet. I would listen to your body, and continue to log everything. Make sure you are being accurate (weigh, measure, etc.), and don't worry about your daily net as much as your weekly net. If you start the week of netting 1000 calories a day, you will probably feel hungry later in the week, and you can allow yourself to go over.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you eat healthy food and you're full, you're full. Swallowing empty calories that you'll have to work off just so that you can eat up to a number...it just sounds crazy to me.

Talk to your doctor. Make sure he/she is on board.

You are not the only one who doesn't force-feed yourself because you did math and the math said you need to have some candy today. One day, you'll probably go over the number.

You don't have to eat up or down to a number to lose weight.

Millions of people all over the planet stay healthy without eating up or down to a number. :)
  • catherinebossette
    Options
    Can someone help. I notice that the less I eat the more weight I loose. Yes, stupid questions but 800-900 calories a day is ridiculously low. I don't understand how some websites state a person needs at least 1500-1800 caloies but on this website I have to practically starve myself. Please, respond.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Millions of people all over the planet stay healthy without eating up or down to a number. :)
    Those people though do not have the problems that the majority of people on MFP have a realisation of their food intake. The majority of people are on MFP because they are unable to judge themselves the needed food intake. If I and many other people were able to do that we would not have come to a calorie counting website.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    could you open your diary?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Those people though do not have the problems that the majority of people on MFP have a realisation of their food intake. The majority of people are on MFP because they are unable to judge themselves the needed food intake. If I and many other people were able to do that we would not have come to a calorie counting website.

Yes and many of those millions of people don't over eat because they dont have a surplus of food available and they dont under exercise because they don't have cars, automated machines etc to move and exercise for them.

Rather irrelevant to obese people trying to lose weight in first world countries though.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options

OP says she wont open her diary.

Rather hard to offer any constructive advice then.

Really. no point asking for help if people are not going to be given information to help you OP.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hey there.

So, I'm trying to lose about 20lbs to get back to a healthy weight. However, MFP has set me at a 1200 calorie intake goal. Shouldn't be too hard. Most people would probably fly past 1200.

Except me. I thought I ate around 2000 a day. I was wrong. I'm barely managing to get 1000. I know this isn't healthy, but I just don't feel hungry. I've been working to balance out my meals, but right now they are pretty crap. Hamburger helper. Tacos. Canned veggies. Etc.

I just feel full and have only had a few amount of calories. I'm really not active. Generally just sit at my desk. At work, I'm on my feet as a retail associate, but it's not like running a marathon or lifting boxes.

Anyway, I was wondering what I should do. If I'm going to diet, I want to do it healthily!

If you don't have a medical condition, and are not taking appetite suppressants, I would just listen to your body. One thing to keep in mind however are your nutritional goals. If you aren't meeting those you may want to use those extra 200 calories to try to meet them even if you feel that you are forcing yourself to eat. I Know if I had an extra 200 calories I would make sure to eat a big bowl of salad to meet my fiber needs which I am chronically short of.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Yes and many of those millions of people don't over eat because they dont have a surplus of food available and they dont under exercise because they don't have cars, automated machines etc to move and exercise for them.

Rather irrelevant to obese people trying to lose weight in first world countries though.
    People in America can - and do! - lose weight without doing math and eating up or down to a number.

They also can - and do! - stay hydrated without doing math and drinking up or down to a number.

Those things are great for people who want to do them! I know they help many people! But they aren't necessary for weight loss. Not everyone has to do it that way.

Different people have different styles and ways they do things and they're all okay. IMO, anyway. :)
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options

OP says she wont open her diary.

Rather hard to offer any constructive advice then.

Really. no point asking for help if people are not going to be given information to help you OP.

Yep :)