What is good for toning arms?

Options
I am a female and I just lost over 50 pounds(10 lbs away from goal!), the rest of my body is well toned, its just my arms that have that little bit of flab. Any good suggestions? Maybe a certain weekly routine? I do have a gym membership so I have access to every piece of equipment. Thanks : )

Replies

• Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Luvs_Rage_Phish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

I've been focusing a lot on my arms right now in prep for my upcoming wedding. There are SO many great arm exercises out there but here are a few of my favorites:

Shoulder press
    bicep curls
    tricep push downs
    bench press

Those are pretty simple exercises but they all really target all the major areas. I recommend lifting heavy. If that means you need to do 5 sets of 5 reps or 4 sets of 8 reps - it's better to be lifting heavy and really challenge yourself. You'll see better results than lifting more at a lighter weight.
  • 87Djones
    87Djones Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would agree doing heavy weights or performing drop sets in burn out form.

Example Triceps push down
    60lbs-10 reps
    50lbs 12 reps
    40lbs 14 reps
    30lbs 16 reps
    20lbs 18 reps
    10lbs 20 reps
    something along those lines to shock to your muscle with no rest between the changes of weights
    Body weight dips/push ups to failure also help with toning.
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Have been doing these and your right, strength training/weight lifting is key. Too bad most people dont realize this.!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    For a full arm/shoulder/back/core workout, I am addicted to this machine.

MarpoVLT-2T.jpg
  • Luvs_Rage_Phish
    Luvs_Rage_Phish Posts: 87 Member
    Options

MarpoVLT-2T.jpg

LOVE this machine - wish my gym had it!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

MarpoVLT-2T.jpg

LOVE this machine - wish my gym had it!

You can easily mimic this movement by tossing the rope attachment over a pull up bar and doing pull ups on it. If you can't do pull ups yet you can use a band for assistance or do negatives (jump up to the top and slowly lower yourself)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

MarpoVLT-2T.jpg

is this real life?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

MarpoVLT-2T.jpg

is this real life?

i got this to train for truck pulls. also to "tone".

MarpoVector-2.jpg
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have never seen either of these machines. How does it work? Is there a resistance setting? Do your hands sting after awhile?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have never seen either of these machines. How does it work? Is there a resistance setting? Do your hands sting after awhile?

Except you don't really need the machines, to be honest. For example, Dav said it perfectly about the pull ups. The other, you could just focus on things like bent over rows, cable rows, etc.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    PUSH UPS
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    weighted chin ups
  • all4rescue
    all4rescue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For the tricep I love skull crushers, I seen something about it on one of the topics here so I googled it and I can feel it when I do them.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Pushups, assisted pullups, dumbbell rows, dips, inverted rows, overhead presses.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

i was just being sarcastic. ive never seen these machines either. :flowerforyou:

OP, what are your goals?

lowering body fat will reveal the underlying muscle. if you want to build beyond that, you'll need a good arm routine and lots of food.
    :drinker:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Look at the pictures on the weight machines and see the muscle highlited for that machine. I like the machines that use more than one muscle at a time. Work on triceps and biceps and shoulders, do dips on a bench. Do free weighs occasionally as well while focusing on your form. I think switching it up is great for you total body transformation. I have arm flab too and the more I build up muscle is the more its shrinking little by little. Push ups are good too. I swear by youtube and the fitness trainers on there. I cant say it enough that its free and you can get lots of good advice on there. Beware, you can get bad advice too so filter out the bad ones. Swimming is great for shaping arms too.