Does it matter

Options
OK, first off don't yell at me if this post is in the wrong place and/or if it's been asked a dozen times. I've been on this board for just over a week and have used the search engine to death. Time to ask a question! :bigsmile:

First question: Breakfast

I was eating one whole egg, 1/2 cup of eggwhites, low cal cheese, and a whole wheat English muffin. Tasty and filling.
I am currently eating Kashi Go Lean, light soymilk, and fresh blueberries. Also tasty and filling.

Does it matter which breakfast I eat? Both seem to give me good protein and fiber. The egg breakfast has more fat and the cereal breakfast has more sugar.

Next question: Lunch

I need fast and easy lunches. I have started eating frozen meals (WW, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice). Not very tasty but they are easy to microwave and the calories are right on the box. Should I worry about the sodium? I don't have high blood pressure.

During my week of thread reading (and I admit to doing little else) I have found a theme throughout MFP stating that it really doesn't matter what I eat as long as I have my calorie deficit. Oh I know about getting the right amount of macros, but as long as I do that how important is it to eat "clean" as opposed to eating whatever I want. I mean you people have whole thread dedicated to eating sweets for 30 days!! *So joining that group* :drinker:

I do appreciate all the advice I can get. I’m 48 years old and sick to death of being fat. I want to do this thing!!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Clean is subjective. Honestly, your health is determined by your overall diet. So, judge what you pick based on your dietary needs. Say, you need more protein and fat, red meat is pretty handy, nuts are decent (higher in fat than protein but still an option). As you said, it comes down to calories in vs out for weight loss. Health is getting your nutrients in. Once those needs are met, it's kind of up to you how you fill in the calorie goal gap. I have eaten ice cream almost every day throughout weight loss and beyond because well, it's tasty and I make it fit ;P Here's another read to help you out! Good luck, you can do it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find that when I have more fiber in meals it keeps me from getting hungry and snacking in between (like a Snickers bar). I get high numbers when I eat Kashi+apple from sugar, but I feel more satisfied with the fiber level. I also try to make sure that I have at least one fiber rich fruit or vegetable with every meal.
    I agree with SugaryLynx on just staying in calorie bounds.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am going with it doesn't matter. I like to change up my breakfasts - in the winter, I did lots of oatmeal, now I am on a toast kick and I try to get some eggs from time to time.
    For the fast lunches, have you thought about getting one of those compartmentalized lunch containers? One time when my niece was visiting, I made her a lunch every day and I tell you, they were tempting. A sandwich, some fruit, some veggies and a treat. I always found them tempting. She is coming to visit again next week - I foresee sandwiches in my future :smile: Maybe it is just the cutesy containers but for some reason, I find them super appealing. The frozen dinners work but like you said, they aren't the best. Good luck to you - keep up the good work.
  • wampahoofus
    wampahoofus Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been on a kick of trying to work in more protein into all my meals.

For lunch, I have been having greek yogurt and either a cup of dry high fiber cereal, half a cup of nuts/seeds or a couple pieces of fruit. - Usually high protein and/or fiber and low sodium

For dinner, I have a nice piece of grilled meat (beef, chicken or fish) and as many vegetables as I can eat. I have been really enjoying roasted vegetables. (Veggies are our friends as they can bulk up just about any meal for very few calories!) If I leave the starch behind, I usually have calories left for a small evening snack

I noticed when I eat something salty, I have a 1 or 2 day increase in my weight. Not a huge deal, but it motivates me to avoid really salty things.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Both breakfast sound great :) I was doing the same in the start for lunches however I found it healthier for me and it made me feel better when I prepared my own lunches. What I have been doing for the last 2 years is on weekends making my lunches for the week (usually a big stirfry or pot of soup etc) and I freeze it in my own containers and grab and go :) I know what is going in and I can control it :)
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I say no it doesn't matter...you can eat whatever you want as long as it fits. I'm not a huge fan of breakfast and usually just have a large Tim Hortons coffee with double cream and I'm good till lunchtime for lunch my favorite is crunchy peanut butter on whole wheat bread and sometimes I have that everyday when I work. I usually eat my biggest meal for dinner. Everyone is different...you just have to figure out what works for you best :-)
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    For most people what/how they eat directly impacts how they feel through the day. Sure, you could lose weight eating white bread, doughnuts and onion rings if your portions were small enough to keep you at a calorie deficit. However, most people won't be able to keep eating that way long term because it would keep you hungry.

A balanced diet where your meals contain fiber, protein/healthy fats will make you feel satiated and is good for your overall health. More likely to create habits that stick.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    does not matter WHAT you eat.

HOW MUCH you eat (calories) is what matters for weight loss PERIOD.

you can go on a 1200 cal diet of snickers bars and lose weight (but you'll f*uck up your teeth & health doing so) and you'll gain weight eating 5,000 cals worth of healthy food so it does not matter what you eat BUT yes...

you do need to watch sodium/salt intake to avoid false fat or water weight gain but that can be quickly and easily taken care of with exercise,sauna, normal carb intake and/or drinking more water (yes, more water flushes out excess water)
  • MKLee8
    MKLee8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cerakoala,
    I am certainly in agreement with you on ditching the processed meals for stuff you make at home. Yes, easier to control what's in it, and should be cheaper. I know people who make meals ahead of time, like you, for the week. In fact, my personal trainer pre-makes all her breakfasts, lunches, and dinners on Sunday, so all she has to do is pull something from the fridge and eat!

I also want to commend you on your weight loss! The picture is amazing; congratulations on reaching 200 lbs lost!

In my opinion, it does matter what you put into your body. Yes, you will still lose weight eating very small amounts of all-sugary food (you'll also probably deal with mood swings and severe energy jumps). You can also gain weight eating nothing but salads and chicken (hint: watch the dressing, this slips up many people). If all you want to do is lose weight, then go for a calorie deficit. But if you want to get healthy, feel better, and lose weight, I'd suggest eating a diet of 90-95% whole food. I use "whole food" to mean stuff that you could pull from the ground, pick off a tree/vine, or take from an animal and eat. All your fruits/veggies are whole, all you meats like beef & chicken & eggs & turkey & fish (including canned tuna) are whole, and all your rice, lentils, quinoa are whole grains. The cereal is processed. The frozen meals are probably processed. However, I eat a small amount of greek (think protein) yogurt everyday. That's certainly processed and has unnecessary added sugars in it. However, it's something convenient I can keep at work for a little extra protein boost in the morning. You kind of have to pick your battles in terms of convenience.

The basic theory I'm suggesting is the less stuff that comes in a box/packaging, and the more groceries that come in whole form will give you the best bang for your buck in terms of health for you body.

Good luck!
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch up the lunches with a sandwich and salad a couple of days a week, or dinner leftovers since you have access to a microwave. I also rotate breakfasts between cereal, oatmeal and poached eggs, all with fruit, milk and sometimes tea or coffee.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Cerakoala,
    I am certainly in agreement with you on ditching the processed meals for stuff you make at home. Yes, easier to control what's in it, and should be cheaper. I know people who make meals ahead of time, like you, for the week. In fact, my personal trainer pre-makes all her breakfasts, lunches, and dinners on Sunday, so all she has to do is pull something from the fridge and eat!

I also want to commend you on your weight loss! The picture is amazing; congratulations on reaching 200 lbs lost!

In my opinion, it does matter what you put into your body. Yes, you will still lose weight eating very small amounts of all-sugary food (you'll also probably deal with mood swings and severe energy jumps). You can also gain weight eating nothing but salads and chicken (hint: watch the dressing, this slips up many people). If all you want to do is lose weight, then go for a calorie deficit. But if you want to get healthy, feel better, and lose weight, I'd suggest eating a diet of 90-95% whole food. I use "whole food" to mean stuff that you could pull from the ground, pick off a tree/vine, or take from an animal and eat. All your fruits/veggies are whole, all you meats like beef & chicken & eggs & turkey & fish (including canned tuna) are whole, and all your rice, lentils, quinoa are whole grains. The cereal is processed. The frozen meals are probably processed. However, I eat a small amount of greek (think protein) yogurt everyday. That's certainly processed and has unnecessary added sugars in it. However, it's something convenient I can keep at work for a little extra protein boost in the morning. You kind of have to pick your battles in terms of convenience.

The basic theory I'm suggesting is the less stuff that comes in a box/packaging, and the more groceries that come in whole form will give you the best bang for your buck in terms of health for you body.

Good luck!

Thank you :) Yes you said it perfectly about the boxed stuff/packaged stuff. I think we live in a world it is easy to grab and go with that stuff and sometimes is okay. :) Everything in moderation lol even the boxed.packaged stuff :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficiency. In terms of good health, you need to meet your macros. Both breakfasts sound yummy and no it doesn't matter which one you eat. The choice is yours. As far as lunch is concerned, a variety of foods that you like is the key. In addition to Lean Cuisine, you could make your own salads like tuna or egg salad. Roast or bake a chicken on your day off to eat for lunch during the week. Leftover from dinner works. If you like pasta or soups, make a batch and store in single serving containers. This site has a recipe builder you could use to determine the calories and nutrients per serving size. Protein powder is great to meet your protein macros. Unless you have a medical reason to avoid sodium then don't worry about it. Since sodium retains water weight so drink plenty of water/fluid and it will flush/balance the sodium. Please read the sexypants link because it has great information. The main thing that helped me is planning ahead of time. I add my food to my diary before I buy grocery. This way I make sure I meet my macros and add in snacks without going over on calories. Just give yourself time and the more you do this the easier it will become for you. This is a lifestyle change so have patience with yourself.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, 49 next week. I'm in the it doesn't matter category.

I have what I want but fit it within my calories... that's not saying I eat crap all the time but if I want a beer I fit it in. I had a slice of pizza for dinner last Friday... it fit in my calories for the day.

For me, this is sustainable - omitting or eating a regime diet just to lose weight is a waste of time. I work out, count calories and the weight is coming off at an appropriate rate.

I am signed up to do a clean eating challenge 8/4 - 9/4 because it ends the day of my daughter's wedding so it's my final hoorah before all the pictures etc.

I generally have a protein shake in the morning (almond milk, a little yogurt, whey protein powder, frozen fruit).

I don't eat a regular lunch b/c I prefer to have several small snacks through out the day - greek yogurt being the biggest snack and having 13 grams of protein stays with me. I'm talking a baby bell cheese, half banana w/a little peanut butter, boiled egg. You get the picture.

I try to keep dinner healthy but normal... I just eat less of it now. No one needs to eat 3 hotdogs but... I used to.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should really ask your doctor about the sodium and whether you should incorporate junk food or try to avoid it.

It won't make a difference for weight loss, though.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Both breakfasts are fine.
    Salt is really only important to the people who are sensitive to it. You might not need to worry about it at all.

Regarding the calorie deficit vs calorie deficit and eating "clean."
    Some people are more satisfied / feel better when they are eating whole foods and therefore can stick to their calorie deficit easier than they would otherwise.
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions! I'm glad about the breakfast. I will probably switch it up. Right now the blueberries are so good I just have to eat them!! :happy:

I agree that the frozen food is not the best choice and I'm going to work on getting them out of my diet. I'm assuming deli meat falls into the processed food category and should be avoided? I like the make my own egg salad and maybe a nice chicken pasta salad with lots of veggies.

I just need to stop being so convenience orientated and put a little effort into it. Dang! :tongue:
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Both breakfasts sound good to me. I think you should just eat what makes you feel best. :smile:

As for food in general, yes, a calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. For overall health and well-being, I think it's best to aim for a nutritionally balanced diet. It's less important to worry about arbitrary terms like "clean" and much more important to give your body what it needs through the food you eat, which is exactly why there are threads like "30 Day Ice Cream Cleanse". If you're meeting your body's nutritional requirements, you can totally eat ice cream every day. It's all about balance and moderation.

Signed,
    An every-day-dessert-eater and hardcore pizza-lover :smile:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    The frozen meals are fine. I have a bunch in the freezer at work for when I don't have time to bring something, and it hasn't hurt me a bit. They don't taste the best, though. Whatever works.