HGC drops-general consensus

Options
I have a friend, no, not me, I like to eat. I assure you it's not me, who is continually posting on social media about this HGC drop diet that she's on. She was on it a couple years ago and lost 30 pounds then went back to her usual diet and gained it back. I told her once that I thought it was unhealthy based on what I thought I understood about the diet, which is prolonged periods of only a 500 calorie intake daily. She says it is not recommended that she exercise-that and 500 cals are red flag to me. Does anybody have any personal experience with this?

Replies

• JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor started selling the drops and selling the diet to his patients.....that was when I changed doctors. LOL!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The HGC diet is dangerous and stupid...
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding that HCG must be injected (I am in NO way advocating this--yuck, bad and dangerous) to be effective. These "drops" sound like a silly "snake oil" scam. It's the 500cal/day that'll make ya lose, and we know that's a very, very bad idea to do prolonged fasting-level diets.

Oh, and it's not even good enough for Dr. Oz's standards (seriously, that should tell you something, lol).
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

There ya go. Illegal! So bad even the FDA won't let you put it in your body.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

I was just about to paste that link.
  • Goliath1357
    Goliath1357 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My mother went to a doctor that put her on the shots and she lost over 80 pounds. Then the shots became more expensive so she decided to do the drops which didn't work as well. She gained 40 pounds back but wants to go on the shots again, saying that the diet is healthy because a doctor put her on it. Yes, you will lose weight on HCG but it is due to the shockingly low daily caloric intake. It is not healthy and it is not sustainable.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm only familiar with HCG shots. I personally think it's a placebo effect plus the money paid is strong motivation to follow the diet. Yes,the diet is 500 calories and very restrictive. Of course you lose weight fast. Plus, the ketosis from starving decreases appetite.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you eat 500 calories a day and touch your right ear with your left hand, you'll lose weight, too. It wasn't touching your ear.

I think most people who try to eat 500 calories a day will give up pretty quickly and start eating more.

People who do this hcg thing are foolish, but you can't really stop your friend.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor started selling the drops and selling the diet to his patients.....that was when I changed doctors. LOL!
    Right? Sounds like quackery.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    My mother went to a doctor that put her on the shots and she lost over 80 pounds. Then the shots became more expensive so she decided to do the drops which didn't work as well. She gained 40 pounds back but wants to go on the shots again, saying that the diet is healthy because a doctor put her on it. Yes, you will lose weight on HCG but it is due to the shockingly low daily caloric intake. It is not healthy and it is not sustainable.
    Yeah, this "friend" does some sub lingual drop, not a shot.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    Options
    If you eat 500 calories a day and touch your right ear with your left hand, you'll lose weight, too. It wasn't touching your ear.

I think most people who try to eat 500 calories a day will give up pretty quickly and start eating more.

People who do this hcg thing are foolish, but you can't really stop your friend.
    Yeah, you are right. She doesn't want to hear it, since it "worked" the first time.
  • jaleci
    jaleci Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I did this diet a few yrs ago, I injected the hcg. It worked great but it was extremely difficult and the worst diet ever! The weight came off and I lost almost 10kg in a month...but that was as long as I could not sustain the deprivation. It was very bad for me, my hair thinned and my nails became weak and split and that was only doing it a month!!!
    I advise not to do it....esp when as soon as I finished the weight came back on.