do you ever wonder why?

Options
Through the work week I am very motivated and on track, weekends can be tough. Recently I've found myself wondering why I think the way I do about food and take the actions I (hopefully *used to*) take.

How is it I can envision tasty foods (anything from mexican food to sweets to pizza... all the bad stuff) and my mind tell me that the only way to satisfy that thought is to gobble up as much as I can? I can't imagine I'm the only one who thinks this way, but I also know others do not.

Of course now I have self-control and will continue to work on that, but why do I want to do that in the first place? It's not hunger, clearly. I can be absolutely stuffed and the thought of chocolate or chips could pop into my head and the only way to make it go away is to eat chocolate or chips - and regret it immediately after.

I don't understand why. I've tried thinking about the moment and why I'm eating...but for the life of me, I have yet to discover an answer. Do you think this way? How do you overcome it?

Replies

• asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing. It's really frustrating. I don't know how to make it go away. I think maybe it never will but you can get better at fighting it by practicing self control. When I'm not watching what I eat, I tend to go way overboard on the sweets (which is what my cravings are always for). I can eat a whole pan of brownies in a day if I am not paying attention. Certainly, I am not hungry enough for that but I shovel it in anyway.

I have fought it by telling myself that if I still want it in a given time (an hour, after dinner, etc...) then I'll have some. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But really, the best way to avoid it is to not have the thing around in the first place. My DH has taken to hiding his desserts from me so it's like they're not even here. I don't have anything I can just unwrap and eat so I would have to make it...and that often is enough to take me realize I don't want it as much as I think I do.

I hope you're able to find something that works for you.
  • KateSD
    KateSD Posts: 5
    Options
    There is a book called The End of Overeating by David Kessler that I think everyone should read. It has definitely affected the way that I think about food/cravings and eating habits(mine as well as others). It is a pretty easy read and I definitely recommend it to anyone that can relate to the original post. In reality though the fact that you are wondering why and taking time to think about these things means you are on the right track!