TRIATHLON-ERS! How do I train? Help please!

Options
Hey! So as I am starting to get back in shape, I want to set a goal for myself to reach fitness wise (like a good half a year away!), and I decided I want to do a sprint triathlon. From what I've read its a normal triathlon distance cut in half, which I think I can do months from now.

My only question is: how do I train for one? Like, what is the best way to get started and how long do I run, bike and swim each week and how often and what distance and what not? Any other tips would be appreciated as well!!!

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sprint triathlon is 750 meter swim, 20km bike ride and a 5k run.

To compete you must be able to do all those. The best way to do that is to start putting the distance in. It also helps to combine the activities ie, bike or run to the pool.

You can google for training programs, as well as search for triathlon training groups in your area.

My first advice is to get a good pair of running shoes. Start running slowly so you don't injure yourself.
    And to keep putting the distance in.

*I am debating about participating in a sprint tri in Sept. I am currently training for 2 open water swim races (2.1km and 3.1km). I am training by swimming with a Masters group (google US Masters) twice a week, I try to go a third time on my own, either pool or open water. I am also trying to get more km on my bike by biking to work, pool, etc. I have also started running. My aim is to go at least 2-3 times a week. Since I am usually trail running I am keeping track of time not so much distance (runs so far have been 3-7km). I am not following a set program.

Add me if you would like to. I don't envy your training with the humidity in NC. On a side note, I will be in your area in August for a holiday.
  • melissaclaire93
    melissaclaire93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't envy your training with the humidity in NC. On a side note, I will be in your area in August for a holiday.

what's worse is I am actually in Florida for the summer. I started jogging a few weeks ago. I've found I have to get out running by 9/9:15 am or there is no way I can run. WAAAAYYYYYY too humid and hot!!
  • emkelsall
    emkelsall Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't envy your training with the humidity in NC. On a side note, I will be in your area in August for a holiday.

what's worse is I am actually in Florida for the summer. I started jogging a few weeks ago. I've found I have to get out running by 9/9:15 am or there is no way I can run. WAAAAYYYYYY too humid and hot!!

I live in central Florida and I have to be done with my run by 8 am or I feel like I am trying to run through oatmeal :noway:
  • realdeal274
    realdeal274 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread I just found, but thought I would pipe in anyway.

Two years ago, I got really sick (like could not go outside our exercise for about a year). Before that, I was a pretty decent age grouper triathlete/runner. I would do 4-5 triathlons and 4-5 running races each year. I am FINALLY, all healed up, and I am shooting for my first race in two years - a sprint triathlon.

I gained about 35 pounds of pure fat during my 2 year hiatus from exercise, so my main goals this first race are (1) have fun, (2) lose 20 pounds, and (3) finish sub 1:20. Here's how I am doing it over a 12-week program.

For the first 4 weeks - lay a base.

Run - I am just adding mileage with a little intensity on the bike. I run 3 times per week. Two of my runs are 45-60 minutes (runs started at 45 and gradually build to 60) with 5-6 pick-ups at the end (30-45 second speed boosts). I do a long run of 75 minutes to 90 minutes again with a slow build over the 4 weeks. I want to get my long run to about 10 miles during this period.

Bike - The bike looks a lot like the run except it started out a little longer and includes a few fast areas. 2 times per week I ride 60-75 minutes (again building over time). On each of these rides I do 2 x 3 mile "time trial" to see how fast I can go. This is really important pacing practice for me. I do a long ride of 2 hours to 2.5 hours each Saturday. The long ride usually is up the mountains close to my home.

Swim - Swim practice is really boring for me. I don't know how people can swim thousands of yards every day staring at a black line in a stinky pool. I am swimming 2-3 times per week, usually one swim is in the pool and one swim is in open water. Most triathletes prefer to swim in the pool to work on speed/form. But I just have a hard time with that. My open water swim started at 2 x .18 miles and has slowly built to 4 x 1/4 miles. In other words, I'll swim a quarter mile and then let my heart rate come down and catch my breath before swimming back. This is by far the most effective swim workout for me as I prep for triathlons. Each time I have to turn around in a pool my arms get a nice few second break as I glide into the wall, turn, and push out again. I don't think it makes a big difference, but my arms get really tired on even a Sprint triathlon and that is a limiter on my swimming.

Lifting - If I do all this cardio, my strength (particularly upper body) really suffers as my body tries to use muscle to fuel instead of fat. I lift 2-3 times per week total body to combat this. I do bench, squats, upright rows, straight legged dead lifts, military press, bicep curls, and ab work.

Note - I know this is a pretty truncated "Base phase," but it is more than adequate to get it done for my goals on this one. Next year when I am really racing again I will probably spend 12 weeks on this phase of racing.

Nutrition - I average about 1800-1900 calories a day, which puts me in the 1.5 pounds per week lose range.

I adjust pretty significantly for 6 weeks and then will hit a 2 week taper which is overkill for a sprint, but I feel I do better with 2 weeks than 1 that other people prescribe. If you just continued the base building for 10 weeks and then took it a little easier for the last 2 you will do very well. Hope this helps.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Check in your area for a triathlon group. They usually have training plans and group sessions for everything from how to train for each individual event to how to work the transitions.