Trying to find cheap but good recipes

Options
Rainydaygirl1
Rainydaygirl1 Posts: 117 Member
I was looking on another thread and everyone was posting such tasty fancy looking dishes and I'm bored of just meat rice veg on a plate. I am unemployed right now so I don't have much money for anything. Right now it's usually just baked chicken rice and brocolli or a salad.

I also have to find stuff my boyfriend will eat which is even harder. Otherwise I'm buying extra food only I can eat and cooking to separate dinners. He doesn't like seafood, most veg except plain iceberg salad or ceasar salad. He east carrots won't eat any kind of squash, brocolli or cauliflower, spinach, kale, swiss chard, avacado, doesn't like spice, any fruit except pineapple or bannanas, mushrooms, any soy or any milk but homo milk, no nuts or cream cheese, or peanut butter. So, very limited as to anything healthy and he is really finicky about textures. Please help!

Replies

• rmullins16
    rmullins16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    ever heard of "one pot wonder"? Its easy, delicious and won't cost much. It's my new favorite thing and the whole family loves it.
    First of all....the concept is you put everything in the pot at once and cook...then VOILA! Does your boyfriend like pasta?
    You need:
    whole wheat spaghetti noodles
    vegetable broth
    basil ( i buy fresh)
    garlic
    sweet onion
    cumin
    diced tomatoes (can)

Put everything in the pot except the basil if its fresh. cook 10 minutes stirring every 2 minutes then turn it off. no use for water or draining. the noodles soak up the broth. then add the basil and stir.
    We top it with pepper flakes and cheese

if you like pinterest you can find this recipe there:
    tomato basil one pot wonder
    ENJOY!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Since he has texture issues, it will take some extra work.
    Go to https://www.pinterest.com and use various search terms to find recipes.

Remember that frozen fruits and vegetables are more nutritious than fresh because they are flash frozen near the fields.
    You could buy frozen blueberries for yourself, let them defrost in the fridge over night, and have them the next morning.
    Beans and legumes are cheap and wonderful. Add onion or whatever you want and you have a great soup for yourself.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    A site I have used many times is www.budgetbytes.com.. Tons of affordable recipes..
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Also there is a MFP member that gives really good recipes once a week.
    DerekHowes

So far my fav recipe from him is the Chicken Pot Pie made right in the crock pot.
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Boneless Pork Loin is cheap, lean, high in protein, and tasty.

Butterfly a boneless loin and tenderize with a meat hammer.
    Slice up a roasted red pepper and lay about 1/4th of it on the flattened loin
    Roll it up, place is a tray and season with salt and pepper.
    Roast in oven at 350 for an hour
    Serve with rest of pepper, steamed asparagus, and some rice.

Awesome meal, low cal, high protein, and delicious.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump