helppp

I am 117 now and want to be around 110 by the end of August. If I consume 1700 calories and burn 500 calories or more in a day will I lose weight ?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    There's absolutely no way for us to know without either knowing your stats (height, weight, age) or knowing your approximate TDEE.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I'm going to say...Maybe
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    If your body uses 1700 calories per day for daily activities and normal body functions (breathing, heart beating, brain working, cell repair, etc...) and you eat 1700 calories a day, you will maintain your current weight. If you burn an additional 500 through exercise, you will lose weight. Just an FYI from someone who is around the same weight as you, it's pretty difficult to burn that much through exercise at your weight. I would have to workout pretty intensely for a couple of hours. Don't over estimate your calorie burns.

ETA: That is a pretty aggressive goal for someone who is already at a low weight. Maybe aim for 113-114 by the end of August.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    I'm going to say...Maybe
  • lmvx
    lmvx Posts: 8
    My bmr is 1267 though
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    My bmr is 1267 though

That's still not a lot of information to work from, but let's try and extrapolate it out. I hope that someone will correct me if I've made mistakes along the way.

If your BMR is 1267, then your sedentary TDEE (1267 x 1.2) is somewhere around 1520. If you workout enough to burn 500 calories every day, that brings your TDEE somewhere around 2020 calories a day. So eating 1700 calories a day would let you lose about 1/2 pound per week, or 4 pounds by the end of August.

I want to stress some things. This math assumes that you have an accurate estimate of your BMR and TDEE and that you're accurately accounting for your calories eaten and calories burned. Most people don't fit the math perfectly, so you may need to make adjustments along the way. 500 calories is hard to burn every day and if you're relying on MFP's estimates or gym machine readouts those may be overestimating the number of calories burned. Also, consider taking rest days for your body to repair itself and recuperate.

Additionally, unless you're 4' 9" or shorter, you are already in a healthy weight range. The last few pounds tend to come off more slowly and your time limit might be a bit aggressive at this point. If it's a certain body image you're trying to achieve you might consider whether or not a body recomposition-style program would help you reach your goals more than just weight loss at this point.