I've never lost weight, not even as a yo-yo dieter...

Options
...I can't stick to it that long!

I feel like such a failure when I see people mourning the re-gain of their lost weight.... I've never even got that far.

Let me start out by saying my name is Sarah. I live in Ohio with my family while I finish college (so close to being done!) I commute to school, so I don't have to deal with dorm room food, etc. However, my family doesn't necessarily eat healthfully, and I only make so much money at my part time job to buy my own groceries. I can certainly supplement what our kitchen already has, I just can't afford buying lots of meat or expensive fresh or organic produce. Frozen veggies is much cheaper! I'm also just months away from being officially engaged to the man of my dreams. We've been together 3 years now.

I have been overweight for so long and it really affects my self esteem and physical abilities. It's harder for me to go out and do sports and active dates/get togethers because I am so out of shape. I went hiking with my family just yesterday and after 175 steps on a mountain to reach the top of the falls, my heart was pounding so hard I was concerned I could hurt myself if I didn't rest. At 22 years old, I shouldn't have that kind of heart rate from stairs that had a landing every dozen or so steps for me to take a breather.

I guess the point of this long post, is to say I'm trying this for real and I have said that so many times before that I don't entirely believe myself. I had some progress by "not trying" to lose weight and not letting myself obsessively read about weight loss, etc. But I don't think I will really lose much that way. I was more at peace mentally, but not physically. I need help in sticking to my plan, but not obsessing and giving up before I even get started. My brain is very obsessive and all-or-nothing because I have OCD. It's just how my brain tends to work.

Any advice for me and my situation would be appreciated!

Sarah

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Read this link, its my go to for start up info.
    Do what it says and you will lose weight.

Cindy
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hey! I would suggest building an MFP Family to support you and going on the forums. There is plenty of information there and Cindy's post is a great start. Don't give up, it's never too late to get in shape. Add me as a friend if you like. :D
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to have a growth mindset. Think of weight loss as something to learn. I am trying that out now, after over a decade of beating myself up about it, and it feels good! The actions are basic enough, count calories carefully and exercise, so the majority of the battle is in the mind. I also have OCD symptoms though I don't know if my all-or-nothingness comes from that. In any case, I do have the speedy mindset and what it has meant is that I haven't gone slow and steady. I could have lost all the weight I'm still trying to lose in less than a year, but I wanted to be speedy - so it took about 10 years to lose half of it, between very low calorie diets and bingeing.

Best of luck to you! Don't compare yourself with other people, you're on your own journey. Slow and steady etc.

Also, congratulations on your upcoming engagement!
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    congratulations on your pending engagement! How exciting. this is a lifestyle change and a constant learning process. I would focus on eating correctly before worrying too much about exercise. Take it one step at a time. Track all your calories here and learn everything you can about healthy eating. If you have the option go see a nutrionist to help you find a safe calorie range and maybe get good info on proper serving sizes. Drink lots of water and make sure to get enough lean protein, healthy carbs and lots of fruits and veggies :) Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. When you feel comfortable work in bits of exercise that you are comfortable with, walking around the block or bike riding, whatever you are able to do and enjoy. best of luck and dont get discouraged. you didnt gain weight overnight you wont lose it overnight but you can do it :)
  • sarahfeelingood
    sarahfeelingood Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the replies!

I read the sexypants post. Very helpful!

I think I do have a speedy mindset, and I like the idea of "learning" it. Like it's something to get better and better at, like playing an instrument (big band geek here!). I also liked the idea of a MFP family to check in with. I have heard that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I always wondered about that. Where did that phrase come from? I guess it makes sense, since we would have to do a whole lot of exercising to match the calorie intake of the average American.

I always get frustrated counting calories though, because I just want to throw something together for dinner, say homemade enchiladas, or a pot of chili.... then realize I have NO IDEA how much is in a cup of chili or in a homemade enchilada... that kind of thing drives me nuts. But breakfasts and lunches are usually okay because they are more simple, like sandwiches, salads, etc.
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I always get frustrated counting calories though, because I just want to throw something together for dinner, say homemade enchiladas, or a pot of chili.... then realize I have NO IDEA how much is in a cup of chili or in a homemade enchilada... that kind of thing drives me nuts. But breakfasts and lunches are usually okay because they are more simple, like sandwiches, salads, etc.

Get into the habit of logging everything. Everything. Even the bingees. Even the individual ingredients (though it's tempting to just search for dishes) if you can. It's a really useful thing to learn.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the replies!

I read the sexypants post. Very helpful!

I think I do have a speedy mindset, and I like the idea of "learning" it. Like it's something to get better and better at, like playing an instrument (big band geek here!). I also liked the idea of a MFP family to check in with. I have heard that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I always wondered about that. Where did that phrase come from? I guess it makes sense, since we would have to do a whole lot of exercising to match the calorie intake of the average American.

Use the recipe builder on here, and buy a food scale. I will weigh what goes in to a recipe, then divide the servings up based on the weight of the recipe. Much more accurate, and weighing normal foods (like what goes into your salad, sandwich, ect) will help you have more accurate intake numbers.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options

Meal planning is your very best friend on this one. Log beforehand and it'll make it that much easier to stick with it.

As for the recipes? Well, the site's recipe calculator here is far from perfect, but it's a whole heck of a lot easier to type in everything you use to make enchiladas all at once rather than hunting down each and every single pepper and onion on the app.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have heard that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I always wondered about that. Where did that phrase come from? I guess it makes sense, since we would have to do a whole lot of exercising to match the calorie intake of the average American.

Diet is totally for weight loss - done right fat loss only, done wrong includes muscle mass loss, and probably a repeat attempt.

Exercise is for heart health and body improvements which are usually not weight loss - done right supports fat loss only, done wrong helps muscle mass loss.

The phrase probably came about because you can lose weight with no exercise, just eat less than previously.

But with exercise you burn more daily, then when you eat less than that now bigger burn, you could actually be eating the amount you used to prior - and losing weight.

Only thing exercise helps out with for diet is making your eating level higher than it would be without it - and that could make you much more likely to adhere to it.

Don't fall for the trap of exercise a whole lot more, and also eat a whole lot less - counter-productive and it'll backfire eventually sooner or later.

Guidelines in the topic you read will prevent that. It's top down approach. Eat less than you likely will burn. Not eat at bare minimum.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Get into the habit of logging everything. Everything. Even the bingees. Even the individual ingredients (though it's tempting to just search for dishes) if you can. It's a really useful thing to learn.
    ^this
    And I want second or third the motion that if it's a recipe you regularly use you can go to your profile, then recipes, and build the recipe the first time and then from there on out you can just add that to your log. Let's face it lots of people are creatures of habit. I know I am and once you have a few dozen meals in there it gets easier, and easier. It's tedious and time consuming at first, but you must do it if you are serious about truly losing. Really commit, and you will be successful.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have heard that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I always wondered about that. Where did that phrase come from? I guess it makes sense, since we would have to do a whole lot of exercising to match the calorie intake of the average American.

Diet is totally for weight loss - done right fat loss only, done wrong includes muscle mass loss, and probably a repeat attempt.

Exercise is for heart health and body improvements which are usually not weight loss - done right supports fat loss only, done wrong helps muscle mass loss.

Don't set yourself up for failure. Doing diet and exercise "correctly" should help you MINIMIZE lean body mass loss, but it won't stop it. Weight loss, no matter how you do it, is a combination of loss of water, fat, and muscle.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Don't set yourself up for failure. Doing diet and exercise "correctly" should help you MINIMIZE lean body mass loss, but it won't stop it. Weight loss, no matter how you do it, is a combination of loss of water, fat, and muscle.

Actually, studies with enough protein and resistance training have shown NO loss of muscle mass while in some good deficits.

Even if LBM drops because you need less water supporting less body, it is possible to maintain the muscle.

I noticed you used the terms interchangeably as many mistakenly do - they are not. LBM is everything not fat mass, including muscle mass.

Shoot, several good studies on lifters with show prep - so the group that is definitely not wanting to lose what they worked so hard to gain, merely to cut the fat.