MFP age limit?

Options
Is there an age limit to sign up for this site? I teach 8th graders. My county has the dubious honor of being the most overweight county in the state. (Out of 67 counties.) I haven't approached my administrators with this idea yet because I wanted to see what your response was.

Here's my idea. Start a weight loss support group for students, including 6th and 7th graders if possible. No way could I meet with them more than once a week since my county has taken away our planning time so they don't have to hire more teachers to save money. (To meet the class size amendment.) BUT, I could meet with students once a week after school to share weight loss successes, offer encouragement, bring in nutritional speakers, etc. They could weigh in and I'd be the only one to know their weight, or they could keep their own chart and let it be private. But I'd like to also give them this tool to keep track of calories and exercise.

Can you tell I"m stoked about this site? What are your thoughts? Is this even allowed? And how would you feel about young teens being on the site? Would you want to know their age? I mean, the site is supposed to be PG-13. So would they need to be 13 to join? And yes, I'd probably have to have parent permission for them to do this anyway.

Also, if this is not an appropriate place for them to use, do you know of another that will meet their needs?

Thanks,
Cana

Replies

• kristinmaravelias
    Options
    I can not speak for anyone else but I would have no problem with it. Actually I think its a great idea. Our country has a real problem with our youth being overweight so anything to encourage them to eat health and exercise would be beneficial. I hope you carry through with this and get parent and administrative support.
  • BritanyV
    Options
    While, I think it's a great idea (in theory) and I love MFP, I found this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/terms_of_use

This site is for 18 and older.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea to teach them about nutrition but I believe the limit is 18, but I'm not entirely sure. That being said kids of that age have different caloric requirements than adults as they are still growing and MFP is set up for the caloric intake of adults, growing kids need more if you are looking at people of the same height and weight.
  • candycana
    candycana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I had a feeling there was a limit. Both due to content, as well as different nutritional needs. Anyone know of a tool like this or similar for teens?

ETA: And thanks for the link. I was looking in the "before you post" threads. I didn't think of the terms of use. Thanks.
  • nicole050208
    Options
    I can tell you are stoked about this site, but I am a parent of a slightly over weight 6th grader and I don't feel like this would be good for her. We recently just got a wii fit plus game and now she is going crazy over her weight. This was not my goal. The problem that I see with this is they want results instantly and they think if they work really hard for one week they will drop their weight or look marvelous. But we as adults know better. I don't want to burst your bubble as I think that your idea of helping these kids out is a great thing and they need role models and its sounds like you would be a great one for them to have.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea, but of course - ultimately - it's up to the site owner.

For girls, I'd also look at Dove's site. Because of the "ideal" is now to be underweight and bony and middle-school kids are so sensitive to such things, you'd want a counterbalance to some effort to get that thin. Probably at least 1 would go beyond safety norms and Dove strongly supports natural beauty in girls and young women. A great marketing strategy, really - but its still an important message.

But there's so much HEALTHFUL information here to be had....
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    What about www.mypyramidtracker.gov ? I know they have something similar.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    www.Google.com/ig is a calorie counter for all ages, you don't the forums and such that a child really shouldn't use without a parent present..
  • candycana
    Options
    Nicole, that would be part of the goal. To teach them about nutrition and exercise. To teach them about losing in a healthy way. We talk about this all the time, that their generation has grown up in a world of instant gratification. Everything they need is at their fingertips. With all the technology at their disposal, they don't have to wait for anything. We talk all the time about how the one thing that is not, and cannot be instant...is learning. It takes time and practice (work). The same thing applies to weight loss as we all well know.

I'm going to touch base with our local health dept. and see if they have any ideas. Teens are all about technology. I'm hoping we can teach them about their health through that technology. We'll see what happens. So many kids are teased because of their weight. I'd love to give them something substantial that could help them overcome this issue without the need for quick fixes like anorexia and bulimia that they turn to. Having the support and understanding of other peers dealing with the same issues could be helpful, especially if they can share their successes.

Thanks for the input.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Also - I feel like MFP for teens would counteract the pressures of the thin ideal in the media and the idea that they could lose weight instantaneously. There is so much healthy information on this website and inspiring stories and messages as to what healthy really is and can look like. I struggled with my eating in HS and thought consuming 400 cals was a "good" day. MFP warns you when you are under 1200 cals and also shows you your progress and what to expect with each daily intake... I think it helps keep you in check with real expectations and doing things in a healthy way and wouldn't be a bad thing for teens.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I applaud your efforts. More certainly needs to be done to empower kids, however as the mother of a 15 year old, I discourage calorie counting and do not even own a scale. I don't want my daughter to become obsessed about numbers.

Instead, I have taught her how to read a nutrition label. How to determine from that label whether or not you are getting the most nutritional bang for your calorie intake. How to read the ingredients list to determine the primary ingredients of the food and recognize ingredients that are damaging to her health. I am teaching her how to cook nutritional, healthy meals for herself.

Most of her friends have no idea how to cook. Many of them are left to fend for themselves and either grab fast food or microwave some pre-packaged disaster.

You sound very enthusiastic and motivated to help the kids - my suggestion would be to empower them by teaching the basics of good nutrition, how to read labels and nutritional facts to make the best choices and if possible, how to cook for themselves - without the use of a microwave!

Good luck! I hope that you will check back and let us know how things are progressing! These kids are very lucky to have someone like you in their corner!
  • obifatkanobi
    Options
    I think it's a great idea, and no, age shouldn't matter we are all here for the same thing, to learn to eat and live a healthier lifestyle. With that said, what could be better than to start people out while still in their teens to learn to live healthy? I do believe that MFP is set for 18 and older, but I don't understand why that couldn't be addressed. I would contact the administration to this site and and confer with them.

As a parent, I think you have a great idea, and would be willing to join your side if it's a matter of us, the members deciding. By the comments I seen, I think you could even petition to change the age limit.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I don't think that would fly on this site just because I'm sure there's a liability issue somewhere with minors using a calorie-counting website, etc. I'm sure the owners are just covering themselves legally. I can just imagine teenagers going nuts with calorie counting, restricting themselves or overly obsessing about their weight, and then trying to blame the site---or worse, the parents freaking out for some stupid reason and blaming the site etc. Sad to say that's the kind of society we live in today, but the site owners have to protect themselves from stupid.
  • candycana
    Options
    Also - I feel like MFP for teens would counteract the pressures of the thin ideal in the media and the idea that they could lose weight instantaneously. There is so much healthy information on this website and inspiring stories and messages as to what healthy really is and can look like. I struggled with my eating in HS and thought consuming 400 cals was a "good" day. MFP warns you when you are under 1200 cals and also shows you your progress and what to expect with each daily intake... I think it helps keep you in check with real expectations and doing things in a healthy way and wouldn't be a bad thing for teens.

Exactly. Just got to figure out the best way to do this.
  • candycana
    Options
    I don't think that would fly on this site just because I'm sure there's a liability issue somewhere with minors using a calorie-counting website, etc. I'm sure the owners are just covering themselves legally. I can just imagine teenagers going nuts with calorie counting, restricting themselves or overly obsessing about their weight, and then trying to blame the site---or worse, the parents freaking out for some stupid reason and blaming the site etc. Sad to say that's the kind of society we live in today, but the site owners have to protect themselves from stupid.

I agree with you as well, which is why this is so tricky. I want them to think about what they are putting in their bodies. Is it healthy? But I also know so many teens 'eat like a bird' then don't understand why they aren't losing weight. With so many educational cuts, health is not something that is NOT addressed nearly as well as it should be in public schools. And, like I said, this is a serious problem in my county.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I think a website geared for school-age kids about what foods are healthy, appropriate portions, things to do to remain active, etc would work pretty well. I think the calorie-counting part of this site is the main issue why it's limited to just adults.
  • robinfrazer
    Options
    My first thought was "Why couldn't teens use this website?" But as I read the many responses I started to understand. Yes... there probably should be something separate just for their age group.

I think your idea is an amazing one Cana - and even though I am always overwhelmed and behind and don't seem to have the time I need to do what I have to do - I think this is a worthwhile endeavor, and if you think I could somehow help you, please let me know. Maybe I could supervise a walk at the track once a week - or just weigh kids in once a week... whatever I can do, I'd like to support you in this. I just don't have a lot of time (just like you). I didn't know our county was so notorious for overweight kids, but I guess I'm not surprised.
  • Rhonnie07
    Options
    I think it is an awesome idea to have them use this site to help in controlling their calorie intake and their exercise. It is a wonderful thing what you are trying to do to help out the kids. You don't find many who will go the extra mile and it is a breath of fresh air to know their are still people like you willing to help out the younger generation. To help them think more about who and what they are. I see no reason what so ever as why they can not participate on this site. It is great tool for weight loss no matter what your age. Good luck and I will be wishing my best for you and your kids. :~)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The site below was designed just for teens and pre-teens. It has what you're looking for, I think, but I've never used it (obviously - I'm 48!). It appears to have the same calorie counters and meal plans we have here. Check it out - this might work for your project. And kudos to you for doing this!

http://www.sparkteens.com/
  • candycana
    Options
    Robin, I'm still in the thinking stages. This is one of those problems kids just don't talk about. They don't know HOW to ask for help. All they know is that they don't look (or feel) the way they think they are supposed to and that they are ridiculed for it. I think a safe place just to be able to talk about it, to know they have support, would be something. And if they can weigh in, walk the track, whatever, that would be great too. But I can see lots of liability involved in this too, since I'm not certified in this area. BUT...when we get the classroom MacBooks, if there was a site they could go to I could lead them in that direction. Bring in speakers. Experts. Dietitians. And yeah, I'm also thinking of the time involved since they took away our planning time. So we'll see. Even if I could just find a place where they could go online, and a meeting day to weigh in and discuss successes and offer encouragement, that might help.

millierll, thanks for the suggestion. This site must be good, I've also gotten a couple of messages about it. I'll check it out and go from there.

Thanks, everybody.
    Cana