Optimal weighing frequency?

Options
Okay, so I know that weighing daily is problematic, but I'm having an issue with weighing weekly. In the last 3 weeks, my weight has gone down by 4 pounds, down by 5 more pounds, and up by 5 pounds. I guess the logical conclusion would be that the second (net 9 pound loss) weigh-in was erroneous, but I don't understand how it's fluctuating quite this much? Especially the upward fluctuation. I'm always under my goal, often by 500+ calories. How can I get an accurate picture of my weight?

Replies

• JessicaBlackman
    JessicaBlackman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Could be a range of factors- if you are female, perhaps you are bloating because time of month is coming up? Or perhaps, if you are down on your calorie goal by that much (500+ calories), perhaps your body has gone into starvation mode and is hoarding because it's stressed?

Otherwise, if you have been exercising, you may have put on muscle etc., although that's unlikely just in 3 weeks unless you've been doing it for a while.

I weigh in weekly and I think that's a pretty good indication. to get more accurate numbers (because the scale CAN lie) measure yourself as well, i.e. waist, hips, legs, and you will likely see a difference there, which is what really matters.

Or, your scales might be broken! ;)
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Could be a range of factors- if you are female, perhaps you are bloating because time of month is coming up? Or perhaps, if you are down on your calorie goal by that much (500+ calories), perhaps your body has gone into starvation mode and is hoarding because it's stressed?

Otherwise, if you have been exercising, you may have put on muscle etc., although that's unlikely just in 3 weeks unless you've been doing it for a while.

I weigh in weekly and I think that's a pretty good indication. to get more accurate numbers (because the scale CAN lie) measure yourself as well, i.e. waist, hips, legs, and you will likely see a difference there, which is what really matters.

Or, your scales might be broken! ;)

My period actually ended a week ago, so you'd think it would go down, but apparently not. I don't think it's starvation mode, because my daily calorie intake never drops below 1200 (even with exercise factored in). I've been a little more active, but just with walking, so it's probably not that... It's just frustrating when I've been so meticulous about logging every single little thing. :\ I will definitely start measuring myself to track it that way, though, thank you!
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    First thing is make sure you have an accurate scale. If you don't, get one.

Second, consistency. Weigh yourself in your underwear or naked, after you wake up and use the bathroom.

If your scale is accurate and you're weighing yourself consistently then the fluctuation is most likely due to water weight. If your weight shot up 5lbs in a week, it was from water weight due to eating more carbs or high sodium foods. The opposite if your weight goes down 5lbs in a week.
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    This is the one I have; http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032TNPOE/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

Do you think there's anything wrong with that one? I'm open to others.

I do weigh naked and after I wake up.

Hmm, okay! I could see that. It's just hard to gauge progress.