To all binge eaters only, what has worked?

Options

Replies

• PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my meals for the week, then buy pretty much only what I need, make a large batch, then freeze.
    This way I tend not to have enough food to actually binge.

Of course sometimes, I'm waiting three hours until 6am so I can hit the shops as soon as they open to buy binge food. This is harder. Normally when I binge, I push out all the thoughts that are telling me not to do it, how much I'll regret it etc. So to try and stop myself actually binging, I'll really focus on the rational thoughts swirling around my head.

Sometimes it works, other times I'll be at the front door, back to my room and undressed, dressed and back at the front door three times before finally giving in and going to buy food.

But every time I do resist I feel like I'll be a little stronger at resisting next time. I think it's just an ongoing battle with your mind. Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose, just don't stop fighting.
  • Ashleigh_H1
    Ashleigh_H1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Alternate day fasting is working for me at the moment.
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Really useful post thank you. I know that feeling, garb the car keys, put them back again, grab the car keys, put them back again, then "oh sod it" drive to the farm shop and buy quantity!

I think the preplanning is a great idea. i used to make a massive batch of soup for my child, lentils, cheese, veggies, and I used to binge on that too, but there wasn't enough to do any real damage. i even locked food away as I can't trust myself to have it in the house as binge brain appears at some point during the week!

I can cry about it, I love my family, I can work hard and do reasonably well academically (although I'm sure my frantic posts don't show it) but when in binge mood binge comes first - I feel so guilty about it!
    I pre plan my meals for the week, then buy pretty much only what I need, make a large batch, then freeze.
    This way I tend not to have enough food to actually binge.

Of course sometimes, I'm waiting three hours until 6am so I can hit the shops as soon as they open to buy binge food. This is harder. Normally when I binge, I push out all the thoughts that are telling me not to do it, how much I'll regret it etc. So to try and stop myself actually binging, I'll really focus on the rational thoughts swirling around my head.

Sometimes it works, other times I'll be at the front door, back to my room and undressed, dressed and back at the front door three times before finally giving in and going to buy food.

But every time I do resist I feel like I'll be a little stronger at resisting next time. I think it's just an ongoing battle with your mind. Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose, just don't stop fighting.
  • onmyown70
    Options
    That's brilliant and fascinating- again the fasting approach goes against what all doctors have advised me however, it seems that it's working for people. I remember when I was highly motivated to diet I didn't allow myself access to binge foods (I didn't have children) and I didn't binge and I probably was on a lower kcal diet and certainly having much less carbs (but probably because I was bingeing less too).

Well done for finding something that's working- if even temporary that's success. My bingeing has been every day recently. It used to be a few times a week, and prior to that maybe once a week. As I mentioned when I was highly motivated years ago I even went a few weeks without bingeing.

Alternate day fasting is working for me at the moment.
    [/quote]
  • ljmcf
    ljmcf Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a binger - the only thing that has worked for me is not buying the stuff in. If I buy a multibag of crisps, I'm not just eating one bag, that's for sure! But I KNOW that about me, so I just don't buy them at all.

If I slip up and do buy stuff and end up binging, I get over it and start afresh the next day. Don't beat yourself up for it, we're all going to have slip ups on this journey - just try to minimise them and learn what works for you! Good luck.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Therapy. I was inpatient at one eating disorder clinic for 2 weeks, then switched to an outpatient clinic and have been there for the past 3 months. Binge free for over 90 days!
  • onmyown70
    Options
    How have they helped Kate? I'm god you are doing better, and sorry to hear you were an inpatient.

I noticed even today I wake up craving food!
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Mindfulness practice (and DBT) with my therapist. I did it for another purpose, but what it's done for my binge eating has been amazing.
  • Eat2Lyv
    Eat2Lyv Posts: 4
    Options
    bump for later reading, what a great supportive group of responses for a change ;-)
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Absolutely amazing responses- thank you all.
  • onmyown70
    Options
    Well it all went wrong despite all your help and me understanding the realisation of it all. My little one is ill and we are housebound by 12 am (after having had breakfast and mid morning snack all low GI so can't blame blood glucose) I had the urge to binge. I had thought I had thrown out all my trigger foods but discovered more...

I got the weetabix and covered it in sugar and ate the pack!- I can't tell you why, and if I had any other sugary/carby foods I would have eaten them but Oi ate a whole box of cereal! I did it so I'm responsible but it upsets me that I didn't even see it coming.

Thanks for all your responses guys, I'm finding this very tough!
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a comfort eater than a binge eater. What's worked for me is trying to fit it into my calories for the week (if not that day). Sometimes you have to treat yourself and not feel guilty about it. So you do it, document it and move on. I try to avoid purchasing certain foods if I know I can't control the over-eating. Or purchase less of the item. My biggest problem is Mexican Tamales. Thankfully they aren't openly available here (only one restaurant sells them and most of the stores don't sell the good one's). So that's helped to curb that craving, but once in a while I indulge just to make myself happy.

And when I'm stressed, or feeling the need to over indulge I will find something low in calories to snack on or will avoid the kitchen till I can better control the emotions. Good luck to you!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    i binged yesterday and ate 5 brownies (every one of them was delicious) i just made sure i worked off all of those extra calories to still have a good day! But for professional help, I am not sure.

I don't consider that a binge. That's more like overindulgence. A binge is when you don't even taste the food, in some cases you don't even remember eating it -- you're overcome with feelings of anxiety and panic and you just stuff your face until you feel physically ill and your belly hurts and you can't move and you can't think until you go completely numb and then you just want to crawl into a hole and die.

This exactly.
  • YogaAddict18
    Options
    I used to suffer from anorexia, which later turned into binge eating. What helped me the most was eating when I was hungry and not restricting, I made sure I was full with a lot of lean proteins and veggies. I don't skip meals and I go to therapy. I think therapy is key to the mental aspect of recovery.

I also try not to shame myself if I do binge. Things happen, no one is perfect and all you can do is learn from your mistakes and try harder tomorrow.

Good luck!
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Try avoiding gluten. I am amazed at how cutting it out of my life has helped decrease cravings.

Good luck!!

Jeannemarie
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you know what helped me with my binge eating? allowing my diet to obsess me. i log my food, i spend time on MFP, i read more about nutrition, i read reviews about any equipment i might want, like heart rate monitors, fitbits and other activity trackers, weight benches, etc. i plan what foods i can buy that will fit in with my current lower calorie eating plan. i go for walks, keeping track of the time and logging it, i come up with workouts i can do despite some physical issues.

i made a conscious decision to replace my binge eating with fitness and diet stuff. when i find myself wanting to head off the the kitchen, instead i go to amazon and read all the reviews of any HRM that i have more questions about - or i check out the threads here. it's surprisingly engrossing. i find going to reviews or threads here is faster and easier than reading manuals or doing research, so those work best when trying to replace a habit - at least, for me.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the other responses, so sorry if this has already been mentioned. For me, getting enough sleep is key. I'm much less likely to binge when I'm well rested. This is very hard for me sometimes since I work two jobs but I've been really making an effort to try to get at least 7 hours of shut eye every night. Also, make sure that you eat enough protein and keep your sugar intake low. High protein foods stave off cravings. Eating sugar just triggers wanting more sugar.

I don't usually get to the point where I'll drive out to the store to get something to binge on, I just binge on what's handy in the house. For that reason, I don't keep any junk food at home anymore. If my husband gets junk food for himself, I ask him to keep it out of my sight or hide it somewhere. I also have to stay away from the break room at work, where there are cakes, cookies, etc. on a daily basis.

I don't believe that there's an emotional reason for all binges. I don't binge when I'm sad or stressed, I binge when I'm sleep deprived, hormonal, or haven't gotten enough protein that day. Good luck! I know it can be a frustrating problem.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Try avoiding gluten. I am amazed at how cutting it out of my life has helped decrease cravings.

Good luck!!

Jeannemarie

I have celiac disease and the only difference to my binge eating is that I now eat too much gluten-free foods. It can be chocolate, yogurt and fruit (like last night) or hummus and vegetables. It doesn't really matter what it is. I'll eat thousands and thousands of calories during a few hour binge session.

My binge eating was triggered many years ago (over 40) by not having a diagnosis of celiac. I would stop eating if I had to be out of my home - work, school, a social function - so I wouldn't suffer the horrendous after-effects of having a meal. The weekends were 'safe' times to eat as I would be able to stay home. In a weekend, I could eat 30 to 40 thousand calories (not exaggerating). I would be sicker than sick, but at least I got to eat something. I never put on too much weight as the food would go straight through me within a few hours. Not a pleasant way to live, believe me. The only diagnosis I was ever given was "IBS" and told that it was my "normal" and I'd have to learn to live with it. So I tried.

There isn't enough room on the entire Internet for me to explain in writing how 40 years of this affected me. Suffice it to say that it's a daily struggle and I never know when the next binge will hit. I will be eating and suddenly I realize I'm in the middle of one. It can last a day, or three. Then it's as if a switch flips and it's over.....until the next time.

OP, this doesn't in any way help you with your issue, and for that I apologize. I hope it IS helpful for you to see that you are far from alone. :flowerforyou:
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    How have they helped Kate? I'm god you are doing better, and sorry to hear you were an inpatient.

I noticed even today I wake up craving food!

They have helped teach me CBT techniques to combat cognitive errors (it's just this once, it will make me feel better, I am helpless over this, etc), DBT techniques for emotion/mood regulation, and helped me tackle self-esteem problems and my own history which was really the root of why I was doing the behaviour.
  • hipyogacat
    hipyogacat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Several things have helped me....

*I started eating small meals 6 times a day, each with approx. 15 g. protein and 1 serving fresh fruit or 2 servings fresh veggie. Eliminated grains and sweets. Every now and then I will eat a grain and it has triggered overeating (or the occasional binge) every.single.time. I swear I feel like a crack addict because I cannot have any processed carbs or grains without this happening.

* I started and completed couch-to-5k. I had never been a runner even though I had tried on multiple occasions. Completing the C25k program has given me a tremendous sense of pride and I find myself thinking about what I need to eat to improve my running rather than thinking about what I want to eat to make my tastebuds and brain happy.

*I remind myself at the beginning of each and every day that if I put one of the triggers into my mouth, it will end well. It is about 1000x easier for me to eat no candy than it is for me to eat only one piece of candy.

*If DH brings a trigger into the house, I ask him to hide it and not tell me where it is. I want him to be able to enjoy things in moderation but I don't want access.

*I weigh myself once a year at my annual doctor's visit. Beyond that, I go off of clothing size/fit to determine how I'm doing. I know that others have a friendlier relationship with the scale but it has been my experience over the last 20 years of my adult life that I cannot handle it. No matter what it says, it results in my eating too much so I don't weigh in.

*Finally, I practice self-forgiveness. It is easy for me to get wrapped up in a cycle of shame that leads to further binging. I have to forgive myself so I can start fresh and move on.

The result of all of these efforts has been a loss of about 10 lbs. over the last 3 years. Granted, this is not stellar BUT I also haven't gained more than a lb. or two at any given time in this time frame either. I'm 37 now and this is the first time since I was about 12 that I can say that. To me, this is a huge victory and I'll take it.