Disappointed

Options
Hi all,

I have been logging in for 17 days now, and have been sticking to my calories, and have started exercising this week.

I'm content and happy with the ideology of losing 1lb per week but to put on 1/2 lb this week has totally deflated me!

Any tips on where I am going wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Lynda

Replies

• mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Heres a tip: Get rid of your scales. They throw ill-informed people off. Last night I weighed myself and I was 204lbs, this morning I was 196lbs. Besides, the 1/2lb is probably water weight.

A better measurement of your progress is to take pictures and to measure yourself with a tape measure.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Any tips on where I am going wrong?

you're being too impatient!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's nothing special about 7 days. Much better to look at your total losses to date. Weight fluctuates up and down all the time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    plus with only 19lbs to lose, 1lb per week is the MAXIMUM you should be aiming for.

i agree with measuring or taking pictures to guage your progress.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Agreed - weight gain was most likely water weigh. If I have soda or salty foods I know my scale is going to read higher.

Are you measuring (body measurements & food)? If not take your body measurements & go by that. I am obsessed with weighing daily (bad habit I know), I log weigh weekly and take measurements every other week. My scale number is slowly going down but my inches have gone down. When you do get on the scale make sure it's same time of day - for me it is as soon as I get out of bed (after using bathroom) with the same clothes on.

Now for food - if you don't have one yet buy a food scale that measures GR & OZ. Weigh & measure your food. For me the shocker came when I spooned out what I would normally eat as a "serving of cereal" and then I actually measured out a serving (in grams) that was listed on the box & found out what I was "eyeballing" was really about 1 1/2 times the amount I should have been eating.

Just a few tips & suggestions - best of luck!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Patience. You're going to need it. Look for the downward trend - over time. I love this blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437
  • TwirleySlims
    TwirleySlims Posts: 112
    Options
    Losing weight is a long term goal, think how long it took you to put it on & then think that this is a long term lifestyle change, fast diets always fail as you put it back on when you start eating normal again. Go for a long term healthy diet & you will see results! Don't be disheartened! :D
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    This is actually pretty common when you start exercising. It is temporary water retention, so just be patient and keep on plugging away.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you've lost 3 pounds. You said you've been at it for 17 days. That means you have averaged over a pound a week, which means you are actually exceeding your goal. Look at over all progress. Great job!
  • YamaMaya1
    YamaMaya1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Relax, it's HALF a pound! That's 8 ounces, you probably pee that out every morning. You've only just started and you're probably not going to see big results for a long time. The key to long term success is patience and practice.
  • lulu2086
    lulu2086 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You guys are beautiful - thank you so much for your encouragement, advice and kind words :heart:

I'm going to buy a tape measure after work today and invest in some proper food scales. I've been measuring everything out but they are a bit old.

:bigsmile:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Yesterday you posted to say you've lost 4lb in 2 weeks, that's amazing progress. Don't be so hard on yourself. Weight loss isn't linear. Just keep accurately tracking your food and eating at a small deficit and you'll do fine :flowerforyou: