Questions On P90x

Options
O.K so let's say I decide to spend $120 on the P90x Video set what other expenses will I incurr if I want to get the results I expect.You see if I buy the videos I would follow the program to the letter.This means I would also have to purchase what? Weights,pull up bar,supplements.shakeology.special meals etc...Anyone know what the bottom line expense is once you add all of the above including the videos?I realize lots of folks can afford whatever it takes but others can't so someone please spell it all out for us.Thanks!

Replies

• Andymasters
    Andymasters Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are in the final three weeks of p90x. I have lost almost 30lbs by combining that exercise routine with a protein heavy, lower calorie diet. It really is great! I bought a pull up bar for $25 and a few sets of resistance bands for $10-25 each. Unless you are looking for heavy weights and need dumbells in the 50+ lb range, there isn't an exorbitant amount you need to spend to see results. Toss in a yoga may ($10) and a yoga block ($10) and you are done.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Many people have some weights sitting around at home. You can get weights or use the weights that you already have. I recommend Bodylastic resistance bands. My husband uses those for his arm workouts and some back workouts. We have a pull up bar, but we mostly use the bands. Beachbody sells bands on their web-site as well. If you want to check some out in person, then Sports Authority carries them.

It's not necessary to buy Shakeology or the P90X Results and Recovery formula.

The program recommends that you increase your protein intake to 40-50%. In order to reach that level you may be taking in a lot of lean meat, eggs, and maybe a quality protein shake.

You may want a yoga mat ($8-$25) for the Yoga DVD.

Bottomline, to start with you may spend just under $180. But again, that depends on what you already have at home.
  • bradyluver
    Options
    I have looked into getting the set of videos as well.. I have found it alot cheaper online... People selling them on ebay and such. of course be careful. But it might help lower the cost a bit
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Keep in mind... for a BARE minimum you can get by with a couple sets of Fitness Bands.

It's really worth it! I've been doing it too. (I'm NOT a Beachbody Coach like a lot of the P90X people here... I just LOVE it and have seen the difference).
  • collettemrk
    Options
    My wife and I are in the final three weeks of p90x. I have lost almost 30lbs by combining that exercise routine with a protein heavy, lower calorie diet. It really is great! I bought a pull up bar for $25 and a few sets of resistance bands for $10-25 each. Unless you are looking for heavy weights and need dumbells in the 50+ lb range, there isn't an exorbitant amount you need to spend to see results. Toss in a yoga may ($10) and a yoga block ($10) and you are done.

What about recovery drinks & shakeology.? Aren't they a part of the program?
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Agreed - so many Beachbody coaches will beg you to get shakeology, but honestly, if your eating is clean, here's what you need.

P90X $120 (honestly, buy it from Beachbody not ebay - people get dvd's that don't work/no diet info/no return policy etc)
    Pull-Up bar (build it yourself $5, ebay $15)
    A couple dumbbells (10, 20, 30 should be plenty unless you're quite strong - check craigs list for cheap weights - people always sell that stuff used)
    Yoga Mat $5-10

The rest is on food. Here's the catch, eating healthy is as cheap or cheaper than eating junk, BUT - it often takes a while to sort of get it. Frozen skinless/boneless grill chicken will be your best friend. Pick up a Foreman grill to save time! :)

Best of luck,
    Steve
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Recovery drink - it actually is very good. But - a squirt of honey post workout has been shown to be very helpful in recovery. That's what I use now every day.
  • steve1126
    Options
    As far as the other expenses go, you can get pricing for Shakeology on their website. I would get the chin up bar at ****'s Sporting Goods or a Target store, they're much less expensive and require no brackets or drilling holes in your doorway.
    I wouldn't go all crazy on the supplements especially at first....see if you're really into the program before you do that. Foods? Well, that's kind of a wash because you will just be buying some different stuff than you do now. Some of the groceries you're buying now will be replaced by the suggestions in the food and recipe guide. (Which is top notch, BTW). The weights....you should start by getting 1 or 2 sets of the plastic/rubber dumbells at any sporting goods store. At first, most guys don't use more than 20-25 lb. dumbells for most of the workouts. As your strength increases you could always go get heavier sets. P90X is a great all around fitness program and it's well worth the time and $$$.
    I hope this helps.
    P.S. - The workouts are long...they average about an hour each, except for the yoga, which goes about 1 1/2 hours.
  • edorice
    Options

What about recovery drinks & shakeology.? Aren't they a part of the program?

A quality protein shake that you can buy at Walmart or Vitamin Shoppe offers the recovery nutrients needed after a great workout. Many people on my friends list are using Body Fortress protein from Walmart. That is $19 for a 2 pound jug. I have tried this and I also like the proteins by BSN.

Again, Shakeology is not needed.

Also, P90X has a payment plan if you order it directly from the website. You will get all material needed, the calendar, workout guide, and the diet recommendations. I don't recommend Ebay.
  • abtropix
    abtropix Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My husband bought the whole thing about 6-7 months ago and just made it to the mailbox. I was doing Sim in 6 (another Beachbody DVD program, very good BTW) and always thought P90X would be too much for me. My husband got the whole thing and I don't even know how much he spent, but we have the pullup bar, mat, and the raises for pushups, the DVDs, the nutritional guide, the instruction booklet, etc. It stayed in a drawer for months until just a few wks ago that I decided I would do it. To be honest with you, I haven't started and feel a little threatened. I've been reading all about it and all the info on the kit and it's A LOT!!! I want to do it as recommended and follow all the steps, but it sure seems like too much: fitness test (seems long!), watch a starting DVD, starting stats: fat percentage, weight, measurements, before pic, etc., kind of program you want to follow, etc... PLUS all the nutrition stuff! I started reading all the material and it's too much. I fell asleep reading! I know I need to up my protein intake A LOT and then schedule a daily workout and I don't know if I can/want, since I like biking every now and then and play tennis.... But who knows, I'm about to start P90X probably next week....Let me know if you get it; you'd be quite an inspiration!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    We did it and loved it (I had to stop for medical reasons)...but all in all, it cost about 200 bucks.

We bought stuff at walmart and didn't get the shakology...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Just for clarification, Shakeology is not even part of the P90X program at all. P90X was released quite a few years before Shakeology even existed. A lot of people enjoy Shakeology as a meal replacement, but it is by no means necessary for any program that Beachbody sells. It is simply another product they offer.
  • rjulian20
    Options
    My husband bought the whole thing about 6-7 months ago and just made it to the mailbox. I was doing Sim in 6 (another Beachbody DVD program, very good BTW) and always thought P90X would be too much for me. My husband got the whole thing and I don't even know how much he spent, but we have the pullup bar, mat, and the raises for pushups, the DVDs, the nutritional guide, the instruction booklet, etc. It stayed in a drawer for months until just a few wks ago that I decided I would do it. To be honest with you, I haven't started and feel a little threatened. I've been reading all about it and all the info on the kit and it's A LOT!!! I want to do it as recommended and follow all the steps, but it sure seems like too much: fitness test (seems long!), watch a starting DVD, starting stats: fat percentage, weight, measurements, before pic, etc., kind of program you want to follow, etc... PLUS all the nutrition stuff! I started reading all the material and it's too much. I fell asleep reading! I know I need to up my protein intake A LOT and then schedule a daily workout and I don't know if I can/want, since I like biking every now and then and play tennis.... But who knows, I'm about to start P90X probably next week....Let me know if you get it; you'd be quite an inspiration!

i feel the exact same way!!!! i borrowed the dvds from a friend 6 months ago & last night i opened it up and picked out the x stretch.....it was AMAZING!!!! i know the other workouts are designed to kick you butt and i'm not recommending doing them out of order....but sliding in to them by using this one first helped motivate me!!! good luck
  • edorice
    Options

i feel the exact same way!!!! i borrowed the dvds from a friend 6 months ago & last night i opened it up and picked out the x stretch.....it was AMAZING!!!! i know the other workouts are designed to kick you butt and i'm not recommending doing them out of order....but sliding in to them by using this one first helped motivate me!!! good luck

Can't wait to see what DVD you guys use in the next six months. :tongue:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a door frame pull up bar because my house walls are plaster, I opted for a free standing. It was about $70, plus free shipping on amazon. I personally hated working out with the resistance bands (maybe I had the wrong type) and opted for weights which was a little more expensive.

I did sign up for the beachbody membership to get access to the menu and meal plan, it's been very worth the extra expense of the monthly fee. I don't plan on maintaining the monthly cost after the 90 day tho.
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    great info!!! I really want to try it but I am so scared!!!!