Too much protein?

Hi, all.

New to MFP, but loving it AND loving my results so far! I've actually lost a total of 13 pounds, but didn't start this until a week or more into my diet.

Typically, I stay slightly under ALL my daily goals, except for protein. I'm usually anywhere from 10-25 grams over everyday.

My question is, will going over on my protein (by the amounts I noted above) kill my weight loss or make me start to gain weight?

I know too much sugar and carbs will, but I don't know about protein. This stuff is complicated sometimes -- I hear varying stories from different people.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Doesn't matter as long as you're still in a caloric deficit.

Same with carbs.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Nothing but going over your calories for maintenance will cause weight gain (if you're using my fitness pals calorie amount, it's already built in a deficit for you for weight loss without exercise).

If you're using the protein number on MFP, it's actually hilariously low for active individuals. About 1g per pound of lean body mass is typically recommended, so treat it as a minimum.

Sugar will not make you gain weight. I'm almost double over my sugar allotment every day and lost weight fine. Focus on calories in vs out for weight loss.

For health, balance your macro / micro targets. Here's a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Try to take the most of your calories from protein sources and few from carbs and healthy fats to maintain you calories.

Benefits of protein -

* You will gain lean muscle.
    * The more muscle you have the more calories you can burn while in rest as well.
    * Muscles take less space than fat so you will look thin and toned.
    * You feel full throughout the day as protein takes much time to digest.

Go for weight training 2-3 times a week to build lean muscle.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Nothing but going over your calories for maintenance will cause weight gain (if you're using my fitness pals calorie amount, it's already built in a deficit for you for weight loss without exercise).

If you're using the protein number on MFP, it's actually hilariously low for active individuals. About 1g per pound of lean body mass is typically recommended, so treat it as a minimum.

Sugar will not make you gain weight. I'm almost double over my sugar allotment every day and lost weight fine. Focus on calories in vs out for weight loss.

For health, balance your macro / micro targets. Here's a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^QFT!
  • mccaltl
    mccaltl Posts: 4
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice!!!!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Try to take the most of your calories from protein sources and few from carbs and healthy fats to maintain you calories.

Benefits of protein -

* The more muscle you have the more calories you can burn while in rest as well.

Gaining muscle typically requires a calorie surplus (there's a small window for newbie gains under ideal conditions but this is minute and ends quickly)

women are at a disadvantage for muscle growth even IN a calorie surplus (gaining weight) like we can gain half of what men can.

The idea behind weightlifting in a deficit is to retain your current lean body mass, which will leave you looking leaner at goal weight and you can build quite a bit of strength without adding new mass.

I do agree protein tends to help keep me satiated though :D
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56

Benefits of protein -

Gaining muscle typically requires a calorie surplus (there's a small window for newbie gains under ideal conditions but this is minute and ends quickly)

women are at a disadvantage for muscle growth even IN a calorie surplus (gaining weight) like we can gain half of what men can.

The idea behind weightlifting in a deficit is to retain your current lean body mass, which will leave you looking leaner at goal weight and you can build quite a bit of strength without adding new mass.

I do agree protein tends to help keep me satiated though :D

http://www.shape.com/blogs/fit-list-jay-cardiello/train-man-look-lady

http://www.shape.com/blogs/fit-list-jay-cardiello/best-way-gain-lean-muscle

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1055/Five_Facts_Women_Must_Know_To_Lose_Fat,_Build_Muscle,_and_Improve_Performance.aspx