Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Replace this line with your question

---
    *Generated by [Keto Calculator](http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com) 7.4*

23/M/5'11" | CW 184 | % BF | Lightly active

* 1360 kcal Goal, a 47% deficit. (NaN min, 2543 max)
    * 40g Carbohydrates
    * 165g Protein (g min, g max)
    * 60g Fat (NaNg min, 191g max)

----

40g of carbs!? Why would anyone do that!?

A better question is why would anyone take a 47% deficit?
    A little off wouldn't you say?
  • Trytotryharder
    Options

---

* 40g Carbohydrates

----

Because i'm on a low carb diet at the moment
  • Trytotryharder
    Options
    I'm 5ft 11, 23yr old male trying to lose some fat.

At the moment im eating about 1500 calories, my average breakdown is about - 20% carb, 35% fat, 45% protein.

I'm doing about 1h of strength exercises, 4/5 times a week, heavy lifts etc.

I have bee losing fat but I'm looking to speed it up a bit more.

I'm thinking of starting to run, however I know that when my muscles are growing that its burning up calories. With that happening and running at the same time im worried I'll go over the 1200 calorie mark which I have done before and it significantly stunts my fat loss.

Has anyone else had experience losing fat with running and strength training? Any guidance on how many calories I should be eating if i'm going to be burning up about 300 calories running?

Keep up weight lifting.
    Do Full body routines, with compound exercises (like StrongLifts 5x5)
    You can add in cardio, doesn't have to be running....lot of studies say that steady state cardio is just as effective.
    I do stairmaster for like 20 - 30 min, and elliptical for about 20 min....while in a fasted state. I found that helped me a ton in burning through stubborn fat areas.
    Caloric deficit is a must.

I would recalculate my macros if I were you.
    Since you are in a caloric deficit.....
    Do protein at 0.8 - 1.0 gr / pound of body weight
    Do fat at 0.4 gr / pound of body weight (minimum)
    And carbs can be the remainder of your calories....so get a decent amount of carbs on workout days, they benefit your muscle development

Also as others noted, you need to know your TDEE
    Try http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Thanks a lot mate, my TDEE is calculated around 2446
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

---

* 40g Carbohydrates

----

I saw that too...

Weight loss...you're doing it wrong!
  • Trytotryharder
    Options
    I'm a 5'2" 124 lb female and I consume around 1300 calories a day and still lose- since you're male, taller, and I assume heavier than I am (mostly just because of the height thing at least), you definitely need MORE calories! I know based on my activity level (lightly active), I could lose fat and gain muscle at 1500, so I would assume something is going on here.

Are you SURE that you're only consuming 1500 calories? Since a decent portion of your diet comes from fats (which are calorie dense), then even a small error in measuring could mean you're adding 100 calories a day that you don't know about. You mentioned you eat 3 eggs a day- how do you prep them? Do you cook them in butter? scramble them with milk? Are you adding EVERYTHING that you cook with? Even if I cook my veggies in 1 tsp of olive oil (which is a pretty small amount), I'm adding 40 extra calories.

A few suggestions:

1. Calculate your TDEE and stick with a small deficit
    2. Measure accurately
    3. Incorporate a small amount of cardio- like 20-30 minutes, 3 times per week. But- don't go nuts with it and adjust your calorie intake accordingly.

Yeah your right actually, I cook my chicken with (low saturated) oil so im probably taking in a few more calories than i think. Also i drink a bit of orange juice which must top it up a bit more
  • Trytotryharder
    Options

---

* 40g Carbohydrates

----

I saw that too...

Instead of telling me that im doing it wrong, could you advise me what it should be?
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

---

* 40g Carbohydrates

----

I saw that too...

Instead of telling me that im doing it wrong, could you advise me what it should be?

I advised you in my post
    Go read that
  • MityMax96
    Options

At the moment im eating about 1500 calories, my average breakdown is about - 20% carb, 35% fat, 45% protein.

I'm thinking of starting to run, however I know that when my muscles are growing that its burning up calories. With that happening and running at the same time im worried I'll go over the 1200 calorie mark which I have done before and it significantly stunts my fat loss.

Has anyone else had experience losing fat with running and strength training? Any guidance on how many calories I should be eating if i'm going to be burning up about 300 calories running?

Keep up weight lifting.
    You can add in cardio, doesn't have to be running....lot of studies say that steady state cardio is just as effective.
    I do stairmaster for like 20 - 30 min, and elliptical for about 20 min....while in a fasted state. I found that helped me a ton in burning through stubborn fat areas.

And carbs can be the remainder of your calories....so get a decent amount of carbs on workout days, they benefit your muscle development

Thanks a lot mate, my TDEE is calculated around 2446

So then you should be consuming about 1950 calories a day for weight loss
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    high carb or low carb your calorie deficit should be reasonable, a 45% deficit is far too large. you will stall very quickly and reach a point where you can't reduce your calories any lower or increase output any higher.
  • Trytotryharder
    Options
    Thanks, from your calculations then im only 10g off per day with the amount of fat that I eat

And do you think i should scrap the low carb? thats whats holding me back from eating more calories
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options

Keep up weight lifting.

Great Information Seth!!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Thanks, from your calculations then im only 10g off per day with the amount of fat that I eat

And do you think i should scrap the low carb? thats whats holding me back from eating more calories

Calories for you should be around 1950 per day
    As long as you hit your fat and protein minimums, carbs can be the rest of your calories.

Don't over think it mate.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Great Information Seth!!
    :wink: :wink: :smile:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am confused. Are you using weights alone to lose fat? Weights alone in a calorie deficit does not really do much. I have the same problem too. M problem is though that I am trying to cut fat and build muscle which is a diet that almost takes perfection to do.

Have you done research on what is the best way to cut fat?

Also weight training does not burn that much. Slow steady cardio burns more I think. I don't know I stop doing slow steady cardio from like September.
  • Trytotryharder
    Options

Calories for you should be around 1950 per day
    As long as you hit your fat and protein minimums, carbs can be the rest of your calories.

Don't over think it mate.

Thanks a lot mate, some really good advice
  • Trytotryharder
    Options
    Yeah i am, and its been working. I know weight lifting does not burn that much fat thats why ive kept my calorie intake to about 1,500.
    I am confused. Are you using weights alone to lose fat? Weights alone in a calorie deficit does not really do much. I have the same problem too. M problem is though that I am trying to cut fat and build muscle which is a diet that almost takes perfection to do.

Also weight training does not burn that much. Slow steady cardio burns more I think. I don't know I stop doing slow steady cardio from like September.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

completely disagree.

You should be using your diet and not your training to lose fat. You should not be looking at weight training from a 'how many calories does it burn' standpoint. Resistance training allows you to retain/build muscle and change a physique the way only cardio cannot. (note - I still do cardio for other reasons).

There are plenty of people who get very very lean never doing any cardio and only weight training.
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    Well i'm not losing much weight because im gaining muscle but ive lost quite a bit of fat.

:huh:
    You've lost a lot of fat, gained muscle and stayed the same weight? All while eating 1500 cal?

Somthing is off here. As a newby lifter you *may* have gained a small amount of muscle, but not likely to be noticable. Muscle is generally only gained by eating at a calorie surplus (i.e. eating above maintenance). If you really are eating just 1500 then you should be losing weight - it seems a very low intake for a tallish young guy.

I agree! It is mathematically impossible to "gain" anything while being on a deficit. Also if you are honestly tracking your calories (weighing, measuring, etc) and truly eat only 1500 calories a day, you should be losing weight. I am a 46yo female eating 1500 cals per day, working out for 30 mins 6 days a week and still lose 1-2lbs per week.

Checkout http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/ The author's articles are great for beginners and anyone "brainwashed" by all the myths of weight-training, losing fat, or feeling the need to "kill yourself" in the gym.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yeah i am, and its been working. I know weight lifting does not burn that much fat thats why ive kept my calorie intake to about 1,500.

Thats good. Here another thing though. Do you know for sure that you are only burning fat in this deficit. When clothes get looser we do not know if it is fat loss and/or muscle loss. Muscle loss I hate. Body recomp diet was pretty easy to master. Now I just need to figure out how to lose fat and still gain even a little bit of muscle so the scale still drops. Although my friends scale was off by 1% body fat. Even adding that it would mean I have lost 13 pounds of fat gain 3 pounds of muscle to equal a scale weight 10 pound loss. I do not know for sure. I am getting in the bod pod again sometime this month.

If it works I will tell you how it is done because I think it is working.