Help choosing Devices to count steps and cals (

Options
Ok so I know we can sync certain things like fitbit to count steps and cals burned.
Anyone recommend one over the other? Not wanting to spend a huge fortune.

I tried one a while back that went around my upper arm - day and night. Wanted me to sleep in it. It wasn't comfortable and felt like bulky and I didn't like it. I can't remember the name of it but I think it was grey. It could have been fitbit but really can't remember.

Was thinking that one that I saw on here that you wear around your wrist may have been nike?
Thoughts?

Replies

• MegTuck17
    MegTuck17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got the fitbit zip and I love it! It's small and you can wear it on the pocket of your pants or hooked to your bra
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Flex is worn on your non-dominant wrist. I've had mine about a month and it doesn't bug me at all. I wear it 24/7 and have had no issues. Generally I charge it overnight while I'm sleeping, every 4 or 5 days. I find it to be very motivational to keep me moving.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I tried one a while back that went around my upper arm - day and night. Wanted me to sleep in it. It wasn't comfortable and felt like bulky and I didn't like it. I can't remember the name of it but I think it was grey. It could have been fitbit but really can't remember.

That was probably a BodyMedia FIT... which is the most accurate one on the market. I love mine and I don't care about the armband. *shrug*
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Fitbit Flex. It's small, comfortable to wear, and the stats and graphs it generates really helps me challenge myself. I've only had mine since Saturday, but I've met my goals every day (except Tuesday, I had a death in the family) since then. It's been really helpful in getting me off the couch, I was already going to the gym, but I'm doing more now.

The only time I don't wear it is in the shower (or doing water aerobics/swimming). It's water resistant, but I don't want to have to dry off the band every day.

Check ebay or Craigslist, I bought mine on Ebay and saved $30.
  • JennsJourney30
    JennsJourney30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll look Into the fitbit flex.

The body media one doesn't sound like the one I have. I think I'd recognize the name but maybe not it's been a while. I have larger upper arms and the band really bothered me. I had to put it tight to stay up otherwise it would fall down and with my scrub too it kept peeking out and it was awkward but like I said not sure which one it was.

I am thinking the wrist one I would like since I'm used to watches and stuff like that. So non-dominate hand. Does the flex sync here too?
  • randomtai
    Options

The body media one doesn't sound like the one I have. I think I'd recognize the name but maybe not it's been a while. I hard larger upper arms and the band really bothered me. I had to put it right to stay up otherwise it would fall down and with my scrub too it kept peeking out and it was awkward but like I said not sure which one it was.

I am thinking the wrist one I would like since I'm used to watches and stuff like that. So non-dominate hand. Does the flex sync here too?

You probably needed the large band. What you describe sounds like a BodyMedia...

010711_rg_BodyMediaFIT_01.jpg
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't have one but am in the market for a Fitbit and have been doing a ton of research - it's my thing, I'm a geek. The one down side I can see for the Flex is that people mention that if you are a person who talks with your hands (which I am) or someone who takes walks pushing a stroller (which I do) then it can miscalculate your steps. It goes by the movement of your arm and I think that can easily cause error. That is a big drawback to me. So I would definitely read some reviews and comparisons and see which one you think is best for you! Good luck!
  • bsouchon
    bsouchon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. It is the most accurate. It doesn't sync to myfitnesspal, but it is a heart monitor. You wear a band around your chest and then wear a watch. It tracks your calories only. My nutritionist said this was the best thing to purchase. The fitbit is not as accurate. Love my watch!!!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The Flex does sync here, and vice versa. I track my foods and exercise here, and it syncs them over to the Fitbit.

As for the arm movement thing, it does add a few steps to my count, but I figure a few false alarms compared to how much it's helped me move is just a small thing.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options

The body media one doesn't sound like the one I have. I think I'd recognize the name but maybe not it's been a while. I hard larger upper arms and the band really bothered me. I had to put it right to stay up otherwise it would fall down and with my scrub too it kept peeking out and it was awkward but like I said not sure which one it was.

You probably needed the large band. What you describe sounds like a BodyMedia...

010711_rg_BodyMediaFIT_01.jpg

Hmm maybe. It's been a while but it could be that.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    I don't have one but am in the market for a Fitbit and have been doing a ton of research - it's my thing, I'm a geek. The one down side I can see for the Flex is that people mention that if you are a person who talks with your hands (which I am) or someone who takes walks pushing a stroller (which I do) then it can miscalculate your steps. It goes by the movement of your arm and I think that can easily cause error. That is a big drawback to me. So I would definitely read some reviews and comparisons and see which one you think is best for you! Good luck!

True I was thinking that. I don't push a stroller but I do walk my dog but I can try to remember to use the other hand. I do a lot of data entry and xray at work so my hands are moving machines and typing. Wondering if that would mess it up? The moving the machines up and down and back and forth and taking cassettes in and out?
  • Nelly6170
    Nelly6170 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, too. I do love it but I notice a significant difference in calories burned on it vs. calories burned that Runkeeper/MFP gives for the same activity and amount of time. My HRM almost always gives me 200 more calories burned than those apps do
    I'm assuming my HRM is more accurate, but I'm worried it is giving me too much credit. Thoughts?
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    I got the fitbit zip and I love it! It's small and you can wear it on the pocket of your pants or hooked to your bra

Wouldn't have pockets at work with scrubs but maybe bra? Wonder if this is more accurate than flex?
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're going to use it for. If it's just for motivational purposes, then a zip sticks in your bra and syncs to MFP. The calorie count is *fairly* accurate, but by no means perfect. It obviously doesn't work if you're doing anything other than walking or running. The more expensive ones have a sleep monitoring function, but really? I don't see the point of that, it's for curiosity. The one I have does it (Fitbit ONE) and it was neat for about a week, I don't do it anymore.

But for what I needed it for-read: to get out and move more-it's just what I needed. I also didn't want something huge with straps and bells and watches etc. I don't want anyone to know it's there.

And I've made $10 with Pact so far! (http://www.gym-pact.com/)
  • randomtai
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. It is the most accurate. It doesn't sync to myfitnesspal, but it is a heart monitor. You wear a band around your chest and then wear a watch. It tracks your calories only. My nutritionist said this was the best thing to purchase. The fitbit is not as accurate. Love my watch!!!

A HRM is not an activity tracker. A HRM only measures steady state cardio.
  • randomtai
    Options
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    It depends what you're going to use it for. If it's just for motivational purposes, then a zip sticks in your bra and syncs to MFP. The calorie count is *fairly* accurate, but by no means perfect. It obviously doesn't work if you're doing anything other than walking or running. The more expensive ones have a sleep monitoring function, but really? I don't see the point of that, it's for curiosity. The one I have does it (Fitbit ONE) and it was neat for about a week, I don't do it anymore.

But for what I needed it for-read: to get out and move more-it's just what I needed. I also didn't want something huge with straps and bells and watches etc. I don't want anyone to know it's there.

And I've made $10 with Pact so far! (http://www.gym-pact.com/)

Thanks. I think what I want is to see how many calories I'm burning. I track my food here so it doesn't have to do that although I wouldnt mind it. But I'm really wanting to see what I'm burning without workout. EDIT: And of course with workout.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options

Thanks I'll read this today
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Flex user here as well. As another poster stated, sure you might get some false readings with it on wrist, but it helps to keep me motivated to keep moving. It is easy to set up to sync here, just don't eat back all the cals that it tells you that you are burning while walking and you are good. I tend to try to at least leave myself in a 500 cal deficit while wearing it and logging here. It is also a good way to know how much you are actually moving in a day.
  • Churchbell06
    Options
    I have the Garmin VivoFit and i LOVE it. It is soooooo comfortable. I have only taken it off twice for a day, and I have had it since not long after it came out, in April. I wear it all the time. I don't pay attention to the sleep stuff really (it shows how much you move, but really what can I do with that info I don't even know). It did just start to sync with MFP, which is fab. The Garmin mobile app doesn't seem to like to play well with my calories, however I can go to the MFP and it will accurately adjust based on what Garmin tells me. The battery is supposed to last a year (no constant rechargin). You can change the bands on it (something th particular fitbit i was looking at didn't offer). Also you can get a heart rate monitor to go with it, which i plan on doing. . . In a few months or when I reach a certain physical fitness point, I am going to upgrade to the Garmin that combines the Vivofit with the Forerunner so I can track my runs. I really lked that this one has a display. Yes, I can and do sync to my phone constantly, but it's nice to not have to need to sync to see what time it is, or how many steps I am close to my goal. Check out dcrainmaker website also. I really like his articles/reviews. Hope this helps!