anyone else trying to lose weight with hypothyroidism...

Options
I have been consistently counting calories and walking two miles every morning since the beginning of May and the scale is still not moving ???? my body is changing, and my muscles are toning up but I am getting so frustrated. I have 70 pounds to lose and nothing is coming off. I count every calorie, and eat between 1500-1700 a day. I am on 88mcg of levothyroxin and my thyroid was under control in April, I am having it checked again on Monday. Is anyone else having the same issues? What worked for you?

Replies

• CurvyBlossom
    CurvyBlossom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed about 3 months ago. I've never been an active person and it's a new thing I started about the same time I got my diagnosis. I'm on 100mcg of levoyhyroxin. And within the past 3 months I've gone down about 8 pounds. But I do notice muscle and more strength. I'm going to give it a little bit more time and see what plays out then I might talk to my doctor about what else could be done if I do stop losing weight. I have about 80 pounds to lose.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am on 125mcg of Levothyroxin and eat approx 1400-1500 cals per day but then eat back just about all my exercise calories which varies from day to day. I am losing weight, very, very slowly but if I have a lot of days where I eat too much then it goes back on very quickly! It is possible, just tends to be slower than for people without hypothyroidism, keep persevering and you will get there, honest! :flowerforyou:
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i'm on 100 mcg, and i have found that i can lose as long as i have the correct doseage. That means a TSH between about 1-2 (maybe slightly over 2). I try to aim for 1510 calories NET, though last time I did better averaging about 1450 net.
  • voni2086
    voni2086 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been hypothyroid for 6 years. I have always been underweight (around 6 1/2 stone) until I had this. I have around 30 lbs to lose & have been going to the gym since end January and had lost 10 lbs but somehow have put 8 lbs back on so have only managed to drop 2 lbs in 5 months. I can't even say that I am toning up or anything as I just look exactly the same & no difference in my clothes either:(
    I went back to my doctor a few weeks ago and had a blood test because I am constantly tired, gaining weight & struggle to concentrate in work, these came back "normal".
    Fitness wise I seen a change in the beginning but now I'm back to being out of breath just walking up the stairs (I thought my fitness level should have increased with going to the gym??)
    I am currently on 50mcg of levothyroxine. Don't know what else I can do as I only have around 1200 - 1300 calories a day so can't cut back on what I'm eating.
  • christyserenity
    christyserenity Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you see an endocrinologist? If you do not I would recommend it. I see my family Dr who monitors my levels, but with losing weight they would know more, I just got referred to one because of weight issues...I am on 200mcg and have been since I was 18. I had to cut down my sodium, because I retain fluids without wanting too, I have lost 4 lbs (30 days) and that was just with lowering sodium and sugars.
  • Gingersfit
    Gingersfit Posts: 31
    Options
    Voni, you might want to see a doctor to evaluate you for depression. Many of the symptoms you are describing are common between hypothyroidism and depression. I am also hypothyroid and have been for about 20 years. Around the same time I was diagnosed with depression which can actually be a side effect of hypothyroidism. If you are still very tired and struggling to concentrate but your thyroid labs are good, it might be you need an antidepressant for a while.

Something to think about...
  • libbylulily
    libbylulily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Voni, Ginger is right about the depression. I'm on medication for depression as well as hypothyroidism.

Also, check what your TSH level is. It might fall into the "normal" range but may not be normal for you.

My doctor told me that my thyroid was "normal" when the TSH level was over 4. Luckily, he listened to me and prescribed levothyroxine. I'm a bit better having a TSH level of just above 2 (although I think it would be better a little lower!).

If your TSH level is a bit high, even though it's not out of the "normal" range, Levothyrine or similar might help you.
  • Nelly6170
    Nelly6170 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with the importance of seeing an endocrinologist. Mine has been monitoring me for 11 years now and has had to do some tweaking and extra blood testing to check my numbers as the weight (35 pounds total despite what my ticker says!) has come off. Also, are you taking your meds on an empty stomach? Including no supplements/vitamins/etc for an hour or two?
    Hang in there ---- keep moving and eating within your calorie range to create a deficit and the weight will come off. It will! It is hard work and it is a daily challenge, but it happens. I have found that when I don't lose at all for a length of time, when I do finally lose, it is significant. And it feels "right" And it stays off! You can do it!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you check the "Groups" section above, you will find several groups for people with this issue.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have been consistently counting calories and walking two miles every morning since the beginning of May and the scale is still not moving ???? my body is changing, and my muscles are toning up but I am getting so frustrated. I have 70 pounds to lose and nothing is coming off. I count every calorie, and eat between 1500-1700 a day. I am on 88mcg of levothyroxin and my thyroid was under control in April, I am having it checked again on Monday. Is anyone else having the same issues? What worked for you?

All the symptoms expressed I have, but it is trial and error. I am on 275 mcg of Snythroid, have to exercise really hard to lose weight, but it comes off gradually, once I stop it returns faster than the wind.

Right now I have decided to try zig zagging my calories and keep my carbs at about 175 grams per day.
    This is the plan I have decided I am following:

7 day calorie cycle (zig-zag) - Exercising 4 Days per Week

Maintain Fat Loss Extreme Fat Loss
    Monday 2039 1631 1384
    Tuesday 1631 1384 1384
    Wednesday 2446 1957 1661
    Thursday 2039 1631 1384
    Friday 1835 1468 1384
    Saturday 2242 1794 1523
    Sunday 2039 1631 1384

I have decided to work with Fat Loss, along with keeping my carbs between 150 and 175 grams on the days when I eat more.
    My exercise consists of walking, 30 Day Shred, Kettle Bell Drills and Step Aerobics and weights

Depending on my calorie intake for the day, my breakfast might be::

Horizon Organic 2% Reduced Fat Lactose Free: 1/2 Cup
    Banana, Medium, 7" - 7 7/8" Long - 1/4 - 1/2
    Hemp Hearts: 20 Grams
    Flax Plus Multibran Flakes: 55 Grams
    Smart Bran with Psyllium & OatBran: 17 Grams
    Almond (Butter - Raw) Organic: 20 Grams

Place in blender except the cereal, quick blend and pour over cereal. If I eat this at 10:00 a.m., I am still full up to 1-2 p.m.

Breakfast is 74.3 grams of carbs, lunch is 81.3 and dinner: 17.5 = today's total = 173.5 out of 175.0

Check out this site: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm.

I am wearing a dress that this time last year could not even go pass my butt.

With hypothyroidism, we have to keep trying different things.

Not having a thyroid means that I have to exercise at least 4 ways per week and watch my food intake. I have stopped eating white flour, bread, soy, tofu, fresh water fish. It is doable to lose weight, but the road ahead for us is hard and extremely harder to keep it off.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Exercise is key for me to lose. It can be done but is a slow process. You are not alone in your struggle.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am on 200mcg of synthroid plus I have to take 50,000IU of Vitamin D once a week, prenatal vitamins daily (no I am not pregnant LOL) and I have to go for blood work every 6 weeks.. I have Hashi's/Hypothyroidism and have for 13 years. I gained over 50lbs while I was ignored :)

Now that it is under control, it is much easier to lose. I find lifting weights helps me battle the joint pains, fatigue and depression. I tried cardio so many times and it just exhausts me so I don't do it.
  • voni2086
    Options
    Gingersfit, thanks for your comment but I know it's not depression as I have had depression in the past when I was dealing with a really difficult issue & receiving counselling which finished earlier this year. When I was depressed I didn't want to do anything, this time I want to do loads but just don't have the energy & I am still currently taking antidepressants. I feel totally different now as to how I was last year, I'm a lot happier & sleeping better than I have done in years but still need to go for an afternoon nap at weekends as I just can't stay awake. Would be totally happier if I could just lose some of this weight.
  • voni2086
    Options
    libbylulily, I had blood tests done recently and my TSH was 0.51 mU/L.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Gingersfit, thanks for your comment but I know it's not depression as I have had depression in the past when I was dealing with a really difficult issue & receiving counselling which finished earlier this year. When I was depressed I didn't want to do anything, this time I want to do loads but just don't have the energy & I am still currently taking antidepressants. I feel totally different now as to how I was last year, I'm a lot happier & sleeping better than I have done in years but still need to go for an afternoon nap at weekends as I just can't stay awake. Would be totally happier if I could just lose some of this weight.

Test VitaminD... that is what was making me feel like crap... after testing my level was 10... yup.. 10...
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am... and i am currently not on medication... yet.. my doctors are stupid... My TSH is 4.953.... when my numbers are up, i dont lose anything... when they swing lower into the 2's and 3's i lose a little.. its been an uphill battle..
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    Hello,

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for a few years now, and I am on 88 mcg like you. I think the best thing that you can do is to keep getting your T3 and T4 checked, and to let your doctor know if you see any increase in symptoms. I was steady on a lower dose for about a year and all of a sudden my hair started to thin. I got my levels checked and sure enough, we needed to increase my dose. It will be interesting to see what your doctor says.

Everything else that you described, though, sounds like a typical plateau. I've seen a lot of people on these forums who once they started weight training saw a great increase in inches lost but their weight stays the same. I wouldn't be so quick to say this is because of your hypo.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    yes. I had my thyroid removed in 2005. I'm on synthroid. I used TONS of excuses why I could not lose weight, having hypothyroidism was one of them (you can read others at the link below). but what it really boils down to is we have to eat 'right' and push ourselves beyond what we are currently pushing ourselves. sorry to be blunt but 2 miles a day is not enough. You need to push yourself further. your body is use to that right now. you need strength training as well. cardio alone will not do it. if you can't go to the gym, there are plenty of resources on YouTube or the internet for strength training workouts you can use to guide you. I have to use a gym as it works well for me.

Once I got past all the excuses and determined that I was going to lose weight despite myself, a funny thing happened... I began to lose weight! I ate healthy and I pushed myself hard at the gym. mixed cardio and strength. all this with NO thyroid! oh... and I'm anemic too which totally drains any form of strength out of a person! makes me tired, worn out, and feel like sleeping all the time. btw, did I tell you that I have sleep apnea? (again, tired, drained, worn out, yada yada yada) didn't discover that until a bit later (don't think it's in my story either). However, even though I was and still am tired a LOT (use a CPAP & sometimes take my RX iron meds), I still trudge to the gym because I still have weight to lose and I do NOT want to go back to the place I was before. I have come too far.

It's up to you sweetie. you've got to get rid of the 'crutch' and the excuses & push harder.:flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1305329-excuses-excuses?hl=excuses...+excuses&page=1#posts-20191832
  • melind78
    melind78 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I had my thyroid removed since 2003 and have been on synthroid. I had gained a least 30lbs or so since. I would always use the excuse I have no thyroid that is why I can't lose weight......I told myself "the no thyroid excuse" is getting old and it was time to make a change. So I started working out 5x a week cardio/weight training and joined MyFitness pal to track my food intake. It was slow at first......and my thyroid seemed to get a little wacked at times until I started monitoring my levels myself....I have blood work checked every 3-4 months to make sure I stay in my normal range and that seemed to really help instead of waiting every 8 months for endo to check it out.

Again what worked for me was cardio, weight training and regular blood work to check my thyroid levels. Also I avoided soy products for the first 4 -5 hrs of taking my pill. I found out that soy can interfere with the absorption of thyroid medication particularly synthroid.

Good Luck, you will get there.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Are you avoiding goitrogens? I just started, in the hopes that it will help.