Free weight squats vs. Weight machine leg press

Options
I've seen the results some people have done with squats, and I'm really impressed! I'm getting closer to my GW (9.6 lbs away! :drinker: ), and I really want to start focusing more on weights than cardio, and I'd love to get into squats but I'm not sure my knees are up to it since my 5 years of knee problems. I know you have to have good form in order to do it, but I was wondering if you could get similar results with a leg press weight machine with high weights. I REALLY don't want to injure my knees again. I feel like that might help get similar results with less risk of injury...? Advice?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Leg presses are good, but are designed to isolate the muscles in your legs (since you don't have to balance the load on your shoulders on the way down). You can typically lift quite a bit more with the leg press than with squats. I'm not sure if it's any easier on your knees, but I suspect form would be harder to screw up on the leg press. Hopefully, someone a little more knowledgeable can weigh in, but I would think that, if you try squats and find that it's giving you problems, leg presses would be an acceptable alternative. You'll lose some of the full body work, though.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You are less likely to have problems with your knees if you do full squats than you would think. Back issues I think are more common due to lack of mobility and/or improper technique. I would start off by seeing if you can easily get into an Asian squat position (look it up online). If you can do that then I would start squatting with the bar. If you can't then you probably have some mobility issues that I would work on.

Leg press is an inferior exercise. I don't think it allows you to get a good range of motion, plus it just doesn't work as much of your body.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd say the leg press is more likely to cause further damage to your knees.

Squatting to or below parallel, starting at body weight, should help build up the muscles that support the joint. Using free weights is a more natural movement.

As an aside, I had knee trouble for about 8 years before picking up a barbell - I have no knee pain now :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Free weights every time. Start very light and work on your form. Ask for help, videotape yourself and review against online videos, work on your mobility to make sure you can get to a proper depth (hip crease below knees)

Then slowly (5-10lbs/week) add weight. It will get heavier much faster than you think.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Free weights and leg presses are two different things.

Squats going to work your body better. My advice would be to hire a lifting coach for a session or two in order to drill in deep proper squat form. A good squat will strengthen everything, including your knees.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Anybody that mentions squats hurting your knees etc is just regurgitating s**te that they have no clue about, probably also using it as their excuse not to do the second best weight lifting movement that there is (after deadlifts, my opinion).

Do both though, squats because they're amazing for you and work so many areas. Leg press so you can isolate more and lift considerably more which inevitably leads to bigger legs and a better *kitten*!
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Either can be beneficial or harmful depending on form, medical limitations and goals. Leg presses are not inherently inferior depending on your goals and med lims. They can help isolate different parts of the legs and can be used for drop sets and other type of overload training that could be limited by the secondary and support muscle groups. Also, the type of knee problems that you have will have a determining factor as to which exercise would cause more issues. Patella and patellar tendon issues might dictate a move away from squats. MCL, ACL, PCL shouldn't as long as they have been rehabbed properly. Cartilage or arthritic issues might make heavy training of any sort problematic. Also, there is no reason that you couldn't inorporate both into your different workout routines. Seek out some good knowledgeable help and get your form and base strength up before moving up in weight loads.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Knee problems tend to arise when the knees get out past the toes. This makes a squat/leg press a knee movement.
    When you keep your knees behind the toes (and the farther back the better) it turns it more into a hip/glute movement, thus less issue with the knees.

A leg press can actually be worse for your knees because it's harder to judge knee/toe alignment. In addition, it's much easier on a press to go below parallel, creating an acute angle, which is also bad for your knees.

So, as mentioned, start with body weight squats and learn good form. Then gradually add weight, focusing more on form and technique than anything.

I have destroyed both my knees from years of skateboarding and heavy squats have fixed most of the problems I've had.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone! I'll try to get back into squats again, hopefully soon after my last round of rehabbing my knee. I had actually injured my knee before with squats, but I have kind of an odd deformed-bone sort of thing going on that was what was causing it, according to my PT.

I think I'll try to get a trainer once I switch gyms since the trainer in my current gym gives me the creeps. Kinda rapey vibe going on, not cool at all! Luckily the new gym opens in a few weeks! Maybe I'll start small at home until then
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    Knee problems tend to arise when the knees get out past the toes. This makes a squat/leg press a knee movement.
    When you keep your knees behind the toes (and the farther back the better) it turns it more into a hip/glute movement, thus less issue with the knees.

A leg press can actually be worse for your knees because it's harder to judge knee/toe alignment. In addition, it's much easier on a press to go below parallel, creating an acute angle, which is also bad for your knees.

So, as mentioned, start with body weight squats and learn good form. Then gradually add weight, focusing more on form and technique than anything.

I have destroyed both my knees from years of skateboarding and heavy squats have fixed most of the problems I've had.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Just start with the bar alone at first and see how you feel but I'd go with free weights
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone! I'll try to get back into squats again, hopefully soon after my last round of rehabbing my knee. I had actually injured my knee before with squats, but I have kind of an odd deformed-bone sort of thing going on that was what was causing it, according to my PT.

I think I'll try to get a trainer once I switch gyms since the trainer in my current gym gives me the creeps. Kinda rapey vibe going on, not cool at all! Luckily the new gym opens in a few weeks! Maybe I'll start small at home until then
    If you're in PT now, why not ask the therapist to help you out with form/recommendations for weighted squats? I would trust their advice on form above any trainer at a gym or random advice on the forums.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

If you're in PT now, why not ask the therapist to help you out with form/recommendations for weighted squats? I would trust their advice on form above any trainer at a gym or random advice on the forums.

I had been going, but my insurance said I had used too many PT visits and that I'd have to pay out of pocket for any more this year... which, yeah that's not happening. I don't have that kind of money. :sad:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

False.

Restricting knee movement past the toes increase hip and lower back torque (hip torque increased over 10x when knee movement is restricted, while knee torque was only slightly reduced through restriction).
    http://www.luciano.si/images/blog015_raziskava.pdf

OP: There is squat progression that can help you get there. I have done tons of damage to my knees over 18 years of sports and military. Squats, lunges, deadlifts and Peterson step ups have improved the condition of my knees. Start with things like goblet squats and suit case squats, which will help your body learn the movement pattern before getting under a bar.
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    My knee issues are cartilage related (I'm sure my extra weight on 46yo joints have something to do with it too), I can actually feel the grinding even when I just bend my knee back and forth sitting in a chair. Even the stairs to my apartment are difficult. I have started taking Glucosamine and it helps. The "best" exercises are the ones you enjoy and will continue to do consistently. I hate squats, regardless of my knee issues. I prefer the leg press and feel more comfortable doing them, so for me, they are the best. Find what works for you, everyone is different. :flowerforyou: