Gaining

SarahC1987
SarahC1987 Posts: 8
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
i have been watching what eat b only eating 1200 cals a day, and going to the gym three or more days a week. But no I am gaining weight . I don't know what to do. Can someone help me?

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    That is the result of your muscle retaining water from working out and new routine. Just keep it up and it will go away.
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Take measurements, too, if you want to see other changes!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Definitely take measurements, they can sometimes be a better indication of what's going on in your body than your weight. Make sure you're drinking enough water and eating your exercise calories if you're not already. If you are eating them, you might need to increase your daily calorie goal. Remember, you have to eat to lose weight. And also make sure you're eating fresh whole foods, not processed foods, and watch your sodium intake.
  • How long have you been eating 1200 calories for? If it has been for an extended period of time, it could be that your metabolism has slowed down. The only way to kick start a loss is to eat more (yes, I'm serious!). Up your calories to 1400 for the next 2 weeks, and see if you have a loss then. I lost 45kg by gradually increasing my calorie goals. It is not good to stick to 1200 for any more than 2 weeks at a time. By the time you are ready to maintain your weight, you should be on at least 1800 calories a day.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    i have been watching what eat b only eating 1200 cals a day, and going to the gym three or more days a week. But no I am gaining weight . I don't know what to do. Can someone help me?
    I know this may sound strange, but it does depend on how much you have changed your diet, when you started, and if the amount of fibre etc you take in has decreased by you reducing your calories.

At the start of a calorie reduction your "internals" (to be polite) will have been used to a certain volume going through it, and when that (and fibre) decreases things slow done.

Your internals can hold quite a volume (weight) of stuff that it is working through (all part of the joys of being a biological system). When your body catches up with the fact that food amount is less (especially if you increase your fibre) you will find that weight does drop (I don't think I need to paint more of a picture!!!).
  • THanks for the insite :)
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    I know this may sound strange, but it does depend on how much you have changed your diet, when you started, and if the amount of fibre etc you take in has decreased by you reducing your calories.

At the start of a calorie reduction your "internals" (to be polite) will have been used to a certain volume going through it, and when that (and fibre) decreases things slow done.

Your internals can hold quite a volume (weight) of stuff that it is working through (all part of the joys of being a biological system). When your body catches up with the fact that food amount is less (especially if you increase your fibre) you will find that weight does drop (I don't think I need to paint more of a picture!!!).

Although I totally cracked up at this, it is probably the most helpful thing I've heard in a while!
  • Thanks. Before I started I use to eat only two times a day about and some unhealthy snacks. Now I eat four times a day with pretty healthy food and I don't eat sugar anymore like I use to. So you're saying I might need to eat even more ?
  • Ok I will try that.
  • Ok I'll drink more water and stick with it. :)
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164

Although I totally cracked up at this, it is probably the most helpful thing I've heard in a while!

Glad to help and bring a smile. Too many people forget it "has to come out somewhere", and reducing food input reduces throughput, and that can stall apparent weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.