Breakfast or not ??

Options
I've never ever been a breakfast person, my mum says even as a kid she had to struggle to get me to eat in the morning and sadly that theme has continued into middle age.
My first 'meal' is round about 1 p.m. and is generally 3 crispbreads with laughing cow cheese and a fresh tomato followed by some fruit. I go to the gym in the mornings where I do 50 mins cardio work (treadmill) followed by 2 rounds of weights for upper and lower body, I walk to the gym and back(around 40 mins)
Should I force myself to eat breakfast or just soldier on as I am. I've lost 15lbs in 5 weeks with around 40 more to go and I feel pretty great really.
Thanx all

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    no reason to fix something that isnt broken

i havent ate breakfast regularly in the past 8 months, and just yesterday i started doing 20:4 IF so im not eating at all until 4 p.m.

the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" idea has been debunked
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Should I force myself to eat breakfast or just soldier on as I am. I've lost 15lbs in 5 weeks with around 40 more to go and I feel pretty great really.

If the last sentence above doesn't answer your question, I don't know what I could say that would. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Maybe this will help: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_146645.html

excerpt:

"THURSDAY, June 5, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- New research refutes the common belief that skipping breakfast could contribute to obesity.

Instead, researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) found that passing on the first meal of the day doesn't help or hinder efforts to lose weight.

"The field of obesity and weight loss is full of commonly held beliefs that have not been subjected to rigorous testing; we have now found that one such belief does not seem to hold up when tested," senior investigator David Allison, director of the UAB Nutrition Obesity Research Center, said in a university news release. "This should be a wake-up call for all of us to always ask for evidence about the recommendations we hear so widely offered."
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    What you have been doing is obviously working, so stick with that! Personally I get super hungry if I don't eat breakfast, so I make sure I do everyday, however, my husband could skip it and be fine most days. We are all different, and if you are getting the results you want then keep on going!
  • CurvyDiva190
    Options
    Breakfast is always important for reasons other than weight loss. And is recommended highly by trainers, healthcare professionals and yes...moms. But if what you doing is working for you I say continue opting out of breakfast. To each its own is what I say.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast unless I'm hungry for it. Most of the time my first meal in noon or later, sometimes as late as 5pm. I find that if I force myself to eat breakfast then I mindlessly graze all day long without really being hungry and by the end of the day I am sick from eating too much.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't. Do what works for you! :)
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    When you stop feeling great and start getting lethargic, then its time to think about breakfast IMO
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    and here we go again. I don't eat breakfast, as long as you get your calories and macros in, you are fine
  • LotusAsh
    LotusAsh Posts: 294 Member
    Options

i havent ate breakfast regularly in the past 8 months, and just yesterday i started doing 20:4 IF so im not eating at all until 4 p.m.

the whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" idea has been debunked

^agreed
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Well said!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Breakfast gives some people increased mood and concentration in the mornings and decreased hunger levels throughout the day. Others find that it causes them increased hunger throughout the day and/or makes them feel sluggish and distracted in the mornings. Meal timing won't affect your weight loss. It may affect your energy levels or hunger later in the day (positively or negatively). If you have no medical need to eat breakfast in the mornings then it really is a matter of personal preference.
  • vab_spencer
    vab_spencer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I guess whatever works for you. I think total calories and nutrician are the important thing. I recently spent a week eating only breakfast and dinner. I found that very satisfying.