Ground Turkey

Options
hjy319
hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
I have 2 lbs of ground Turkey, and no ideas! Please help with your favorite ground turkey ideas! Thanks!

Replies

• TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple. One favorite of mine is taking a whole package and browning it with seasoning, then adding a little egg or egg replacer with some shredded cheese as it browns. This is basically a ton of protein with some fat. I usually put it on bread with mustard and just eat up. Then I keep the extra in the fridge and use it in omelets and quesadillas for the rest of the week. If you're avoiding carbs, take it and put it on leaves of romaine lettuce and chow down.

Turkey burgers are also really good. I find turkey even easier to work with than ground beef for shaping patties.
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    TACO SALAD!!!!! Om-Nom-Nom-Nom... :p
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of ground beef for....chili, taco's, spaghetti
  • mynameisdumbnuts
    Options
    Turkey meatballs -- mix meat with egg, some breadcrumbs, your favourite herbs and spices and bake in the oven. You can mix them in with spaghetti sauce, use them in meatball sandwiches or throw them at your children. They freeze well, too.

For an Asian twist, mix them with a bit of soy sauce, freshly grated ginger, scallions and top with sesame seeds, if you haven't.
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in bulk with onion and garlic and freeze it in 1 lb portions. then when I need meat for spaghetti, chili, tacos, etc I just have to pull it out of the freezer and dinner is ready in a snap.
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things to do with ground turkey is make a turkey chili- You can slow cook it with dried beans or make it fast with canned ones, + its a good way to use any frozen/ fresh veggies you have left over. http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/chipotle-turkey-chili-149810 is one of my favorite recipes. Its a great way to get protein and a ton of veggies in (+ fruit if you're like me and use peaches/ apricots to counter some of the heat)
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    Ground turkey has replace beef in our home... do you like meat loaf, and then here is a quick way to cook it.

Get a package of French onion soup mix, you know the dry stuff in the blue box... then add 2 eggs or you can use egg beaters, as long as it equal 2 whole egg, add bread crumbs, season it up with spices, we no longer use salt either... lot of spices. mix it all together and let it cook about 45 min at 350 degrees, near the end of cooking times, I add ketchup for the top and let it finish up baking.

Also you can make sweet and sour meat balls and what ever you did with beef, you can do with ground turkey, but be aware it will cook looking a little light in coloring… in the beginning, I mix the beef with the turkey… until one day I did nothing but turkey. I hope that helps
  • AngieP91
    AngieP91 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have the recipe with me; I am at work. But I love making Mexican Turkey Soup. It pretty much consists of cooked ground turkery (drain), Instead of buying the high sodium pre-packaged taco seasoning, per 1pd of turkey I usually do the following to make my own; 1 1/2 tsp of chili poweder, 3/4 tsp of cumin, tsp dried cilantro, 1/2 tsp of minced garlic. Through that all in, add a can of fire roasted tomatoes, pinto beans, black beans, hominy or corn (we like hominy), can of crused tomatoes or tomato sauce and maybe a little beef or chicken stock to make it the consistancy you like. Bring to a boil, turn down, let simmer about 15 minutes. when serving we add a little chopped avocado, low fat cheese and a couple crushed whole grain tortilla chips.

Turkey patties: I will grill up some veg like zuccini, squash, onion, peppers, and mushrooms on my grill pain. Then, put it in the blender. Put the blended veggies in the bowl with the ground turkey and add some minced garlic, grill seasoning and about a tsp of steak sauce. Mix and make patties on the grill pan. Very tasty!
  • angel60067
    Options
    Turkey Lettuce Wraps!! Easy and low in calories
  • jennamyers
    Options
    Turkey Ranch Burgers - add a packet of ranch dressing mix and divide into patties. One 20 oz package of 99% fat free ground turkey makes (5) 4 oz patties. I eat mine with a little parmesan cheese on Franz Thinwiches. Only about 200 calories and really filling!
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Use it in a recipe that calls for beef. The BIGGEST rule when cooking with ground turkey is to season before and as you cook it. It will soak up the flavor and be really great.
    jac
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe! I found it on this site and make it all the time. It's super easy, and if you use low or no sodium tomato sauce and corn it's very low sodium. It's very low cal and is great over rice or pasta.

Turkey and Vegetables

1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
    2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced and undrained
    1 ½ cups fresh onion, diced
    1 cup fresh sweet corn
    1 med. green pepper, diced
    Salt, pepper to taste
    1 tbsp. Minced garlic
    2 tbsp. Worcester sauce
    15 oz. can tomato sauce

Brown meat and drain.

In skillet, sauté onion, corn, pepper in water until tender. Add salt, pepper, garlic, Worcester sauce and cook 2-3 minutes. Add cooked meat, tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer 10 minutes. Serve over rice or pasta.
  • viola5618
    Options
    Brown, 1 pound of turkey with one packet of french onion soup mix then make loose meat sandwich. If you're watching sodium this is not good for you but with how much I've been working out i need extra sodium.
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey in place of ground beef - so just about anything works. :)
    Tacos, Spaghetti, Burgers, Enchiladas.....

One of my favorites: Hamburger Gravy over Baked Potato

Hamburger Gravy Recipe
    Serves 6
    Ingredients
    Jennie-O - Turkey, Lean Ground, 16 oz. (112g)
    Mccormick - Brown Gravy, 7 tbsp
    Soup - Cream of celery, canned, condensed, 1 can (10.75 oz)
    Water - Tap, 3 cup

Per Serving:
    Calories - 173
    Fat - 8
    Carbs - 7
    Protein - 16