Cardio: Interval or Steady?

Options
What is better? Interval sessions that are less time or steady sessions that are more time?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals, and what you prefer

interval training is more for explosive power and speed, steady state is more for endurance.

if your doing it purely for weight loss just do whatever you are more likely to stick with
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What is better? Interval sessions that are less time or steady sessions that are more time?

What are your goals?
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well with weight loss and I am just trying to lose the 8lbs I have gained in the past few months while also focusing on strength training. I am also trying to get "the most bang for my buck" at the gym when it comes to time since I have a hectic schedule.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Smart money is on interval training.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I was doing really well with weight loss and I am just trying to lose the 8lbs I have gained in the past few months while also focusing on strength training. I am also trying to get "the most bang for my buck" at the gym when it comes to time since I have a hectic schedule.

Your rate of fat loss will be primarily dictated by your ability to adhere to a calorie deficit over sustained periods.

That being said, since you're looking to maximize efficiency I would opt for HIIT, provided that you are able to structure it into your program in a manner that it doesn't impair your recovery for your resistance training.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    A mix of both is the best. If you only do cardio three times every week, do two short, intense interval sessions, and one longer session at an easier pace.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options

In that case, interval all the way. I alternate heavy weight days with interval training and I'm seeing better results than when I alternated with steady state. But you should probably realise if you've gained 8lbs while focusing on strength training, those 8lbs are probably muscle.

If you like how you look in the mirror - and if that's your belly in the pic, who wouldn't?! - I wouldn't worry too much. 8lbs of muscle will only make you look leaner, not bigger.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I mix them up... I only run once a week and that helps stave boredom. Tomorrow going steady, I think, if I run outside.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Your rate of fat loss will be primarily dictated by your ability to adhere to a calorie deficit over sustained periods.

That being said, since you're looking to maximize efficiency I would opt for HIIT, provided that you are able to structure it into your program in a manner that it doesn't impair your recovery for your resistance training.

QFT
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I used to do interval, but I've read that HRMs aren't quite as accurate when do you interval cardio. So for now I stick with dancing and walking.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I used to do interval, but I've read that HRMs aren't quite as accurate when do you interval cardio. So for now I stick with dancing and walking.

That is an odd reason for not doing it... don't let a device's limitations dictate what you do. Another option is to follow the TDEE method, then you dont' have to count calories burned from exercise at all.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

QFT

QFQFT
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    HIIT training.

Depending your level try something like this.

60 seconds all out spring.
    60 seconds walk.

Repeat as necessary.

Add another iteration each week.

Also do some of the long runs to keep endurance, but HIIt is great for a quick burn that lasts.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So...because a HRM isnt as accurate when doing interval you scrap a better burning workout for dancing and walking?

Makes sense.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Why not both?

Why not intervals until failure?
    Why not steady until failure?

Why must it be A or B?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I haven't heard that about intervals, only about strength training. Now I have to research this.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I haven't heard that about intervals, only about strength training. Now I have to research this.

I wouldn't, it's a silly reason to not do something.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I like to do bursts but they aren't at any sort of set timeframe. When I'm running outdoors I will think to myself that I am going to give it my all from one mailbox to the next or for a couple blocks or whatever. I wouldn't say I am running at a steady pace the entire time, so I guess I lean more towards interval than steady cardio.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

They do different things, so both really.

Most time vefficient for calorie expenditure is a moderately higher intensity steady state. You can sustain that for a longer period than HIIT, but it does need an aerobic base, hence why so many don't bother and only do HIIT.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I wouldn't, it's a silly reason to not do something.

Just curious. I use my hrm for both, seems to be working ok.