How do you go on vacation/to events with lots of food?

Options
My boyfriend's cousin is getting married on the 13th of July, just outside of Paris. Since we live in the US and it's about a 12-hour flight, we're making a vacation out of it (my boyfriend is French, so it's also a chance for him to see friends and family who won't be at the wedding). While we will be able to cook a number of our meals, we will be spending a lot of time out, and of course the wedding will involve a *lot* of food (civil ceremony and then dinner after, religious ceremony and then the big reception after, and some other event for close family that will involve more food). I'm also unwilling to go to Paris and not eat out, ever.

My goal for the trip is basically to not *gain* any weight - if I don't continue to lose while we're there, I'll be ok with it. We'll definitely remain pretty active, since we'll be walking and taking public transit most of the time, and I plan to make sure I get some cardio and bodyweight resistance workouts in (actually, probably more than I do now, since I'll have the time). Does anyone have any advice for how to handle this trip in regards to food, while still enjoying myself?

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but if it were me with the chance to go to Paris? I'm eating. all. the. food. ALL of it. Ok, in the spirit of moderation, one bite of everything.

As long as you're planning on being more active than usual(all the walking and fitting in some workouts, if time), that should allow for some extra calories. Bump up your MFP activity level a notch or two, and set it to maintenance, if you're curious to see what type of calories you're dealing with. Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you get to eat.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but if it were me with the chance to go to Paris? I'm eating. all. the. food. ALL of it. Ok, in the spirit of moderation, one bite of everything.

As long as you're planning on being more active than usual(all the walking and fitting in some workouts, if time), that should allow for some extra calories. Bump up your MFP activity level a notch or two, and set it to maintenance, if you're curious to see what type of calories you're dealing with. Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you get to eat.

Oh I *want* to eat all the food. We went last summer, since my boyfriend had gotten his permanent residency the previous December and thus could actually leave the US and come back without issues. (I think it was the first time he'd been home in five years or something like that). Anyway, we ate ALL THE FOOD and I don't think I gained weight, but I was bigger then. But, I mean, I already have restaurants I *know* I want to go back to, plus the bakery around the corner from his father's apartment is *divine*….
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Pick and chose what you want to splurge on, then make better selections for the rest of the meal. Limit fried foods and heavy sauces when you can. Truly, enjoy local favorites that you can't get at home and skip the so-so stuff and fast foods if possible.

Examples, if you want a sweet roll for breakfast maybe split it with your sweetie and add eggs and fruit. If I want dessert, I skip the bread and potatoes, order non-starchy veggies and meat/fish to go with it. If you're having pasta (how could you go to France and not have pasta?) get a side salad to go with it to help fill you up so you can manage portions with the noodles.

Do lots of walking, stay hydrated and know that you'll likely have fluid retention at the least due to the extra sodium in restaurant foods. A few days back home and back into your routine and any fluid retention will disappear quickly. Most of all, don't be too hard on yourself. Enjoy, aim to maintain, make healthier selections when you can but don't beat yourself up about indulging a little too.
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    when we go on Maine vaca's I eat ice cream EVERYDAY,,,,big ones too,,,I come home weighing less...go
    figure
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    First order of business will be to relax and enjoy yourself. Next, eat at your calories maintenance level while on vacation. Final option is to say screw it! Go, have a good time, and deal with any weight issues when you get back home.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Easy, either don't eat it, or make a mini portion out if it. Remember we eat to live, not live to eat.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's cousin is getting married on the 13th of July, just outside of Paris. Since we live in the US and it's about a 12-hour flight, we're making a vacation out of it (my boyfriend is French, so it's also a chance for him to see friends and family who won't be at the wedding). While we will be able to cook a number of our meals, we will be spending a lot of time out, and of course the wedding will involve a *lot* of food (civil ceremony and then dinner after, religious ceremony and then the big reception after, and some other event for close family that will involve more food). I'm also unwilling to go to Paris and not eat out, ever.

My goal for the trip is basically to not *gain* any weight - if I don't continue to lose while we're there, I'll be ok with it. We'll definitely remain pretty active, since we'll be walking and taking public transit most of the time, and I plan to make sure I get some cardio and bodyweight resistance workouts in (actually, probably more than I do now, since I'll have the time). Does anyone have any advice for how to handle this trip in regards to food, while still enjoying myself?
    Eat like French women. They don't get fat :)http://frenchwomendontgetfat.com/
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I'll tell you what I've recently been doing that has worked out fantastically. I just carry 1-2 protein bars with me and allow myself to eat those bars to my heart's content. Normally I can only make it through one before feeling completely full. I went with my pals to the bar, to the best burger joint in San Diego, to a family party and managed not to eat a single piece of crap. When it comes down to it I didn't decide to eat healthy and exercise just so I could splurge on the weekend, I did it to look great. Sure you might get strange looks from those who don't care and you might even get a bit of harassment, but the funny thing is that after the 3rd meal where I did it suddenly I was inspiring my friends and relatives to start eating healthier. They started telling me how much of an inspiration I was to them that I managed to stay dedicated despite their peer pressure and some of them even started making at least healthier choice by not getting the 2 lb burger and instead eating a salad. I didn't tell them not to eat what they wanted I just told them that my goals were important to me.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You can go on vacation and still make healthy choices. I wouldn't go ALL OUT and deal with it later. That's the wrong attitude to have. Just keep your goals in mind, track what you eat and plan for a treat each day. You don't have to blow all of your hard work just because you go on vacation.
  • rednose83
    rednose83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want while on vacation
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would say taste everything but don't stuff yourself ever. Leave the table feeling like you could have had just a little more, completely comfortable, not hungry but also not full. As dense as the stuff you're going to be eating is, that is probably for the best. I did that this summer on a 2 1/2 week road trip up the USA west coast and I lost weight. We ate out every meal. It takes a bit of will power but I think its worth it because this way you can have a little of everything. Its only for a little while.
  • BlessedMama12
    BlessedMama12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have same thing when I go to social event, vacation and even family cottage. I tend to overeat since i got no willpower whats so ever. But when I tried to eat in moderation it helped me to maintain and even lose wait,so thats worked for me. Its very important to eat in moderation and drink lots of water. Enjoy every place you will be going to there. Bon Voyage!
    P.S. I hope your bf thought you some basic french,trust me you will need very much in there.
    My source: personal experience.
  • squishycatmew
    Options

I'll tell you what I've recently been doing that has worked out fantastically. I just carry 1-2 protein bars with me and allow myself to eat those bars to my heart's content. Normally I can only make it through one before feeling completely full. I went with my pals to the bar, to the best burger joint in San Diego, to a family party and managed not to eat a single piece of crap. When it comes down to it I didn't decide to eat healthy and exercise just so I could splurge on the weekend, I did it to look great. Sure you might get strange looks from those who don't care and you might even get a bit of harassment, but the funny thing is that after the 3rd meal where I did it suddenly I was inspiring my friends and relatives to start eating healthier. They started telling me how much of an inspiration I was to them that I managed to stay dedicated despite their peer pressure and some of them even started making at least healthier choice by not getting the 2 lb burger and instead eating a salad. I didn't tell them not to eat what they wanted I just told them that my goals were important to me.

Yeah, but my goal is to find a way to fit delicious food that I don't normally get to eat into my day, not to avoid eating it entirely. (I mean, that's my goal normally - I do eat protein bars and shakes as part of a lot of my days, but I also eat a lot of fresh foods, as well as a small amount of "junk".) I don't want the 2 lb burger, but I do want the 1/4 lb burger, you know?
  • squishycatmew
    Options
    I have same thing when I go to social event, vacation and even family cottage. I tend to overeat since i got no willpower whats so ever. But when I tried to eat in moderation it helped me to maintain and even lose wait,so thats worked for me. Its very important to eat in moderation and drink lots of water. Enjoy every place you will be going to there. Bon Voyage!
    P.S. I hope your bf thought you some basic french,trust me you will need very much in there.
    My source: personal experience.

I've been working on my French, though it kind of fell by the wayside near the end of this last semester because I had to focus on my coursework (full-time university, part-time work, straight As the past two semesters! And I just graduated!), and I've been bad about picking it back up. I didn't have too much trouble last time we were there - most of this friends speak enough English for us to talk, and a lot of French people are willing to speak English if you aren't a jerk about not speaking French (or maybe it was because I was clearly with actual French people, but overall people were pretty nice about speaking English with me). At this point I can read a lot of basic things and can understand some speech but am really uncomfortable speaking (though my boyfriend says my pronunciation is better). I studied Spanish and Latin in school, which you would think would be helpful while learning French, but mostly isn't.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I typically eat at maintenance, and use self-control.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I live to try new food.
    When I travel, I tend to have one meal a day where I just enjoy my meal, assuming it is the type of meal that is "worth" it. KWIM? I'm not a big fan of breakfast foods so I'll usually have a sensible breakfast and lunch, then have whatever I want for supper. And I keep active.
    For airport food, I bring along snacks and try to pick healthy options since we aren't talking fine cuisine.
  • chelseababy22
    chelseababy22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You will gain some weight and that will be water weight/bloat from the flight and any traveling. So please prepare for that.

1- make sure you are staying hydrated

2- eat everything. you get this once in a life time.. PORTION control.

3- don't be upset.. allow yourself to gain a little.. 5lbs wont make a huge difference. if you spend the whole trip making it about your diet.. you will most likely end up ruining your trip and the others around you. let GO

4- When you can walk somewhere then walk same with taking the stairs...Go for moonlight walk after dinner.. etc.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want while on vacation

Same here.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You will gain some weight and that will be water weight/bloat from the flight and any traveling. So please prepare for that.

1- make sure you are staying hydrated

2- eat everything. you get this once in a life time.. PORTION control.

3- don't be upset.. allow yourself to gain a little.. 5lbs wont make a huge difference. if you spend the whole trip making it about your diet.. you will most likely end up ruining your trip and the others around you. let GO

4- When you can walk somewhere then walk same with taking the stairs...Go for moonlight walk after dinner.. etc.

Yep... I'd recommend to let it go and pick back up when you get home.

:-)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Small portions. Limit desserts and alcohol.