Help choosing Devices to count steps and cals (

Options

Replies

• ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've had my fitbit flex since April. And with it, I've noticed I tend to get off my butt more so I can set off the 10,000 step alarm everyday (admittedly there are days I don't hit it, but definately make up for it on days I work so it evens out some). I keep it set to dominate arm since I equally use both arms for various things (cut, throw and catch right handed, but I'm dominate left handed, it's freaking weird. But mom is righty and was the one home and I was born definately a lefty). As others have pointed out no device is 100% correct with the exception of HRM, but they can be a good motivational tool to get you moving more. I still enter when I do something like gardening where I'm not moving around as much but still working my butt off. But I no longer have to enter my walks daily! And that alone to me is worth it!

ETA: While fitbit can track your sleep I found that it was keeping me awake (I'm a belly sleeper and use my arm as a pillow). So I take it off when I get into bed at night and put it on in the am!
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Vivofit - its excellent, and you can also wear a HRM with it if you eg go to the gym to make sure calories are counted for non step based workouts. It syncs with MFP fine, and I would trust it's numbers better than the exercise entries in MFP's database.

Only downside is you cant clip it to belt etc but need to wear it as a watch.
  • JennsJourney30
    JennsJourney30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I do like to watch style. I move my arms a lot with work and walking but I think it may not be 100% accurate but probably still enough for what I need. Like one user just said- don't eat all the cals back which I don't want too anyway.
  • lovabee
    lovabee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have found the fitbit one to be my favorite. you can just put it in your pocket or clip it on your pants or bra. it tracks steps pretty accurate. And not only steps but the distance you walked, floors and calories burned.
    A huge plus compared to the flex is the display where you can always check on the information.
    Another factor that was important to me is that if you want to wear the tracker daily, there may be occasions where a sporty-looking wristband is just not appropriate (depending on your job, or evening entertainment etc)
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue with the fitbit one is that I have personally washed 2 of them that were left in my jeans. They are also very easy to lose, being small and dark colored, they easily can be misplaced. That is why I really like the flex, as it stays on my arm with the exception of going to the lake, or taking showers.

As stated before about the athletic wrist not being appropriate, you can put it in your pocket as well I am sure. Though being a guy, I have not found an inappropriate gathering yet that I have needed to take mine off and put it in my pocket. :)
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    I have found the fitbit one to be my favorite. you can just put it in your pocket or clip it on your pants or bra. it tracks steps pretty accurate. And not only steps but the distance you walked, floors and calories burned.
    A huge plus compared to the flex is the display where you can always check on the information.
    Another factor that was important to me is that if you want to wear the tracker daily, there may be occasions where a sporty-looking wristband is just not appropriate (depending on your job, or evening entertainment etc)

Thanks. I'll be looking up a few of these.

I know I will see pictures when I looked them up but curious if anyone has pictures of them handy since I'm at work and won't be able to look them up until tonight or tomorrow?
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    My biggest issue with the fitbit one is that I have personally washed 2 of them that were left in my jeans. They are also very easy to lose, being small and dark colored, they easily can be misplaced. That is why I really like the flex, as it stays on my arm with the exception of going to the lake, or taking showers.

As stated before about the athletic wrist not being appropriate, you can put it in your pocket as well I am sure. Though being a guy, I have not found an inappropriate gathering yet that I have needed to take mine off and put it in my pocket. :)

Thanks. Not too worried about how it looks as te majority of the time in at work (can wear it) or home or just out. Nothing fancy so that's good. I'm excited to start looking these up.
  • Jaikagen
    Jaikagen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ive had my Flex a week and love it too, just unsure on how accurate the calorie adjustments are :/
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One - fits perfectly between the bra cups, or on your waistband or pocket. I really like it. Seems to be very accurate.
  • sarabeth120
    sarabeth120 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am another advocate for the Fitbit One. I love mine! People say that it is easy to lose or misplace but I have had no problems so far. I go hiking several times a week and it always stays securely clipped to my waistband.

I used to have the Zip but I upgraded to the One in January. The only difference between the One and the Zip (besides the price) is the One tracks sleep and steps climbed, so if you're not interested in those things then you may want to get the Zip since it is cheaper.

My favorite part of the Fitbit is the fact that you can add people over on the site and compete to get the most steps. I am a naturally competitive person, so it really motivates me to walk more since I want to beat my friends on Fitbit! :)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'll be looking up a few of these.

I know I will see pictures when I looked them up but curious if anyone has pictures of them handy since I'm at work and won't be able to look them up until tonight or tomorrow?

I have a Zip and I absolutely love it, even when it's snarky...

553024_10151562708694618_1427367853_n.jpg

Whatever Fitbit you choose, here is the information that you can expect to see from it. The only thing that mine doesn't track is sleep and stairs.

Dashboard.jpg
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My employer raves about his Fitbit Force and refuses to return it after the recall.

I didn't want to spend that much money. I just wanted an accurate pedometer. I ordered an Omron HJ-720iTC USB pocket pedometer for $35, which should be arriving today. We'll see how that works. Omron has a website and app, I think, that you upload the pedometer data into. I don't think it syncs with MFP yet.
  • RLMsFitnessPal
    RLMsFitnessPal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One. My wife has a Fitbit Flex. We're both happy with our Fitbits.

I chose the Fitbit One because I like to see the readout as I go. It comes with a silicone clip, and I usually clip mine to my shirt collar. It also comes with a special wristband for wearing at night if you want to use the sleep tracking feature. I do use the sleep tracking feature because I have sleep problems that I struggle to manage.

One note about Fitbit is that it will sometimes register driving as steps. You can download an app called Drivebit that will help adjust for driving time. It works just like a timer, and automatically logs to your Fitbit Dashboard.
  • JennsJourney30
    Options
    Well I was looking and googling and found an article that a girl wore both of them (one and flex) from 7/13-8/5 last year and the flex had 47,000 steps more than the one. She said sea Italian and a hand talker and thinks that's why. The flex also said that one day she had xx minutes of intense while the one said only 3 minutes and she said the 3 minutes was more accurate. So wondering if the hand movements do make a big difference?

I think I'm debating between the one and flex.

So the one I Can wear to bed and count stairs?
  • CoolBreeze84
    CoolBreeze84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking at the Jawbone UP? For $80 on Amazon.com I picked up the older version you have to plug into the headphone jack. They also have a bluetooth version for about $130, the UP24.

Know a few people who use it too, and we all love it. Jawbone customer service is great if you have any problems. I wear mine everywhere except the shower (even though Jawbone says it's showerproof) and haven't had a problem- but I've only had it a little over two weeks. I also wear it in bed- the alarm is great, it tracks your sleep cycles and will wake you up during a period of light sleep so you feel better, and don't need a blaring alarm to jolt you awake.

Syncs well with MFP to give me credit for extra calories I've burned. I use Endomondo Fitness tracker as well, which isn't compatible with the Jawbone (yet), but works great with MFP too. I haven't had any issues with MFP doubling up on my exercise when I run with the Jawbone and track with Endomondo.

Hope you find what you're looking for!
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit flex for about a year. I felt that it was missing a lot of steps if I was using that arm for pushing grocery carts, carrying things etc. anything where my arm doesn't swing. That and after only a year the battery life was way down. I replaced it with the simple Zip. $47 on Amazon, free shipping. And it has a battery, you don't have to charge it which is a plus to me.

Also you don't have to put it in a pocket. I wear it clipped to my undies
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Argus? It's an app that has a pedometer built in ( I have a fit bit and the steps are almost identical). It also tracks food and includes a heart rate monitor. It's a pretty nifty app!
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit flex and love it... i wear it 24/7 and it is not a bother.. i actually forget it's there..
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I had and loved my Polar F4. It can also be worn to give you heart rate data when you swim, which other brands cannot do.

But--my version of the F4 is old and does not have user serviceable batteries, so I have to pay $40 or so plus shipping if I want to get new batteries put in it (they ran out). I think newer versions have user-changeable batteries.

For some reason Polar doesn't make an effort to make their products mac friendly. They have some products that can upload data to a computer or Android, but not to iPhone.

I read somewhere there exists an ap that allows the motion sensor in your smart-phone to act as a pedometer so that you don't have to buy a separate pedometer. But I haven't looked for it or used it so I can't comment on how well it works.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4. It is the most accurate. It doesn't sync to myfitnesspal, but it is a heart monitor. You wear a band around your chest and then wear a watch. It tracks your calories only. My nutritionist said this was the best thing to purchase. The fitbit is not as accurate. Love my watch!!!

Absolutely no context to your claims.

Is it most accurate because it's different than other estimates of calories burned?
    If so, different is accurate then? But then aren't all the other estimates different than your HRM, why aren't they accurate?

Besides which, the cheaper Polar's are going to be very off - don't even have required stats for making good calculations of calories burned.

And for this topic, daily activity trackers, totally incorrect tool for perhaps the 4% of weekly time, and perhaps max 20% of daily calories when you workout amount of tracking it is used for.

Might test your own, and be surprised. Because your's isn't even as nice as the one in the study, nor do you have lab tested stats to use even if you could.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn