Cut it out or shrink it down?

Options
I have an insane sweet tooth. I love my candy and sugar. So the question is do I have to cut it out entirely or is shrinking down my proportions to proper serving sizes reasonable? I am trying to watch my meal proportions, but can I use that mind set with candy as well or am I setting myself up for a downfall?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    only you can answer that for yourself. It may be helpful to eliminate it during your losing stage, and then reintroduce carefully during maintenance phase. It's really whatever will work for you, in the long term. None of us can say for sure what you will be able to stick to.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    every time i've tried to stop eating something i really enjoy (such as taco bell cheesy gordita crunches or chocolate) i end up eating everything else imaginable to try and stop the craving! it ends up being more calories than if i just would have eaten what i wanted in the first place.

my advice would be to eat the things you enjoy in small doses.. just pay attention to how much you're eating of it!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    short answer: depends. I had to cut out peanut butter entirely, but am okay with the occasional burger, pizza, or chocolate
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I know I have lots of difficulties with resentment. If I deny myself what I want, it just makes me mad. But I can usually limit myself to a half a serving or just a few bites.
  • swansj15
    Options
    I would think it is better to cut down to smaller portions. I have a tendency to binge if I cut something out completely and then am so far gone that I quit dieting and everything! My new rule is in moderation you can enjoy the little things in life! :) Good luck!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If I want it I just add it into my days calories if it fits I'll have it. If I have to deprive myself I will end up going off of it. And like the other person said sometimes to try and eat other things to suppress it but you can actually eat more
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would go with shrinking down and then over time, you may find it easier to cut it out completely. When I did that, it was easy to cut out some things because the gradual process made me realize there were other things I want more. I don't have cookies anymore because I'd much rather have room for a brownie (unless it's a brownie cookie.. hmm).
  • Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    Options
    I agree that it depends on the person. As for me, I keep Hershey's kisses w/ Almonds and Dove dark chocolate in my freezer. This has helped me with portions and cravings. I have chocolate almost everyday.

I haven't cut out anything, just found a healthier alternative or control the portions.
  • BreeWilder
    BreeWilder Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm the type of person that if I tell myself I CANNOT have something that is all I want. So I refuse to not allow myself to have anything. If I want something I find a way to work it into my calories. Chocolate, for instance. If I really want some I allow myself one square of Dark Ghiradelli chocolate. And I take small bites and just let it melt in my mouth. So I feel like its lasting longer. This works better for me.
  • SweetCharity
    Options
    I'm totally with those who just cut back as opposed to cut out. I get really angry in general when I CAN'T have something. I noticed that if I just try to cut back - I don't even want it as bad as when I'm completely prohibiting myself. It's about learning balance - and figuring out when it's ok to go ahead and have it and when it's time to say - not today, I didn't earn it.
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think everyones eating habits and ways of losing weight are a personal thing. What i've found that really works for me so far, is that counting calories is the way to go. Before mfp i would go on pretty much a crash diet which meant strictly NO junk food whatsoever, CRAZY amounts of exercise and overall deprevation. This would last at most 2 weeks before i'd break and binge.
    Now i find counting calories different. The way i look at it is this, I can eat WHATEVER i want, as long as it's WITHIN my calorie allowance.
    Yesterday i had an egg mcmuffin, which before mfp would spell disaster and GUILT, but now i just work the rest of my day around it, or work out a bit more.
    Also on the days i go a bit over i try not to get worked up about, because this is for the long term, not a short term fix, and these things happen.
    Hope i helped a bit, imo it's all about balance and a positive attitude. You will find what works for you
    best of luck
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Oh and i forgot to mention. PORTION CONTROL really is key.