Low weights, High reps?

Options
amberj32
amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
So my daughter(20) and I were at the gym last night doing our Stronglifts 5x5 routine when a girl, about 20, started talking to us. We've seen her there before. She utilizes the personal trainer from the gym and is practicing boxing every time see her. It's only the 2nd week for us with Stronglifts. We were doing squats (only 50lbs) and she asked "Are you trying to lose weight or gain muscle?" My daughter said both. She told us we were lifting too heavy of weights and to lose weight & tone we needed to do low weights with higher reps. I just looked at her like she was crazy and said "Yeah, OK."

What would you have done?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Laughed and asked how if while in a caloric deficit how one would not lose weight.....no matter the exercise. I already got my cardio in for the day, and if she knew how hard gaining muscle really was.

(PS, you can't really lose weight and gain muscle....they're kind of exclusive of each other)
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Same thing a coworker told me a few months ago. I think I had the same reaction. :noway:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

A whole lotta this:

ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

And this:

Ricky-Gervais.gif

And maybe this, too:

monday_slap.gif
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    probably the same.

if i was in a bad mood i might have told her to do some research instead of regurgitating incorrect information. i've pretty much given up on giving any advice whatsoever when it comes to the gym though, everyone is an expert, yet noone seems to actually know what they are talking about
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Everyone loves to share their opinion. That irritates me. I hate it when I get unsolicited advice! If I ask for it, then ok. But otherwise, butt out!

I have no idea if what she said is true, but in my mind the most important thing is that you are doing something to exercise on purpose.

I say do what you think is right for you - and change it up only when you think you need to!
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Its the same sort of myth like squatting below parallel is bad for your knees. The general public gets something stuck in the brain and it won't go away even though there is no validity to it.

Ignore her.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I probably would've laughed and continued doing my thing. It's such a widespread misconception that I'd feel the urge to correct her and educate her a bit, but I probably wouldn't even waste my time.

At the point I'm at now, I'd probably pull out my phone and show her my progress pictures. Then sarcastically say, "what were you saying about weight and reps again?" before going over to the squat rack and busting out 5 reps at my body weight (not too shabby for someone who has only been lifting for 3 months, I think).

What can I say? I'm a b*tch.
  • Renwa82
    Renwa82 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I stopped using the terminology of "losing weight". My goal is to change my body composition because fat takes up a lot of space while lean muscle mass does not. Lifting heavy, if done consistently and progressively, will produce the result you are after if you are managing your caloric intake vs what you burn each day effectively. With fat reduction the biggest factor is always going to be about calories in vs. calories out. This is not only logical, this is my personal experience, time and again.
  • brn14me
    brn14me Posts: 20 Member
    Options

(PS, you can't really lose weight and gain muscle....they're kind of exclusive of each other)

I see this a lot ... seems to be the industry standard. I myself have lost nearly 90 pounds in the past year eating a calorie deficit and put on a good deal of muscle. so i'm a bit skeptical of this statement
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    She might have just meant caloric burn wise youd be doing cardio and maintaining muscle( tone). I do that type routine on my off heavy lift days cause i hate cardio and at least if im flinging my 10 lb dumbells im doing weights,beats the heck out of treadmill. But i agree it was none of her business.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Unsolicited advice to strangers day? You jab limp wristed
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So my daughter(20) and I were at the gym last night doing our Stronglifts 5x5 routine when a girl, about 20, started talking to us. We've seen her there before. She utilizes the personal trainer from the gym and is practicing boxing every time see her. It's only the 2nd week for us with Stronglifts. We were doing squats (only 50lbs) and she asked "Are you trying to lose weight or gain muscle?" My daughter said both. She told us we were lifting too heavy of weights and to lose weight & tone we needed to do low weights with higher reps. I just looked at her like she was crazy and said "Yeah, OK."

This: :laugh:
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    LOL... Thanks everyone.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    What you did. Laugh.
    Getting into a whole debate is often pointless, hopefully she will see your results and that will be explanation enough :happy:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I stopped using the terminology of "losing weight". My goal is to change my body composition because fat takes up a lot of space while lean muscle mass does not. Lifting heavy, if done consistently and progressively, will produce the result you are after if you are managing your caloric intake vs what you burn each day effectively. With fat reduction the biggest factor is always going to be about calories in vs. calories out. This is not only logical, this is my personal experience, time and again.

I try to remember this but think I'm going to need to tattoo it somewhere.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    She used the word 'tone'. I would have laughed, then gone about my day.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    She used the word 'tone'. I would have laughed, then gone about my day.

Agreed. Tone(d) is an adjective, not a verb!
    My goal is to change my body composition because fat takes up a lot of space while lean muscle mass does not.

I love this way of explaining it