anyone doing couch to 5K on treadmill?

Options
I got the ap by rundouble on my android phone. I admit I'm embaressed to huff and puff outside so I disabled the gps and went by calories on my treadmill.

Anyone else trying this?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I did the first few weeks on the treadmill over the winter. Once I got to the 20 minute runs it was too boring for me to do on it.

Once you get to that point, I would encourage you to go outside. Don't be embarrassed! If you are self conscious, just try to pretend that nobody else is around. Don't make eye contact. Get in the zone :) I know it is hard but running outside (weather permitting) is really nice and IMO it goes by faster that way.

I used the same app, btw. I really like it. I ended up buying the full version for the other run plans.
  • kansas_km
    kansas_km Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was hoping once I wasn't so out of shape I could switch to outside!

The first day wasn't so bad and I love how you can listen to your own music but I can still hear the prompts to change my speed. I will keep the other version in mind as I progress! Thanks!
  • JHPlunkett
    JHPlunkett Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing it on the treadmill. Just too hot in Alabama in the summertime to be fat, out of shape and running. Once I get a little more in shape and a little less fat I'll try moving it outside.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Nobody outside is going to give a damn how much you huff and puff.
  • kansas_km
    Options
    Brian it is more my problem then someonelse's :-P
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I first started running without my glasses (I can see without them but distant things are blurry) in part because I decided that if I couldn't recognize somebody from down the block, they couldn't see me. It helped me not feel self conscious, lol. But seriously, even now, I think I huff and puff loudly while running. I did a 5k with my sister a few weeks ago and warned her that I feel fine while running but sound like I am out of breath.

Anyway, I think you'll really like the C25k. And staying inside due to heat is completely understandable. I'm in OH so it's not as hot but even here, the temperature and humidity is enough that I have been adding more walk breaks into my runs.
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5K a few years ago...and started on the treadmill. Like the PP, it got too boring for me. Well...after gaining a ton of weight, I'm starting again...outside. I just pretend that nobody can see me. I look ridiculous, but it is what it is.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate hate hate the treadmill, so I do all of my running outside. I am on Week 3 day 3 of C25K, and I don't give a rat's behind what anyone thinks of me. Totally understand not running in the heat though. Summer in the southern US is miserable. I say do what makes you comfortable, and if people look at you, they are probably thinking they want to be like you. :flowerforyou: Have fun with it!
  • phil4v7
    phil4v7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K program (for the second time) and on any days that I'm not able to run in the morning, I do on a treadmill in the afternoon. I huff and puff like crazy as well. This past Tuesday, I was the only one running in a long line of treadmills, gasping along trying not to walk before the prompts told me to. Along comes an in-shape, obviously fit runner and she gets on the treadmill right next to mine. I'm wheezing along at my slow but manageable pace and I'm sure she must have though I was going to pass out. Thankfully I managed to complete the schedule without passing out in front of her. How embarrassing, but I wasn't going to give up.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Scrap the treadmill and get over your fears and go outside. It is more difficult but you will like it much better than the damned hamster wheel.

If you do insist on running on the TM, put it at a 1 or 2 incline. That helps simulate a little better the friction and pushing off of the ground.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @phil- that's probably why I don't like the treadmill. LOL If I'm outside, I can get away from other people. They don't have to see my big digital 3.5 mph that I'm sporting during my walk breaks, and my big flashing red 4.5 mph that's my top speed! Oh well, my fat butt is running, so it's better than not running.
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill now. I tried doing it outside (which I enjoyed) but it was during my lunch time and it became difficult to do and make sure I showered and got back to work on time. I would put my earphones in and go for it. Now I work out at 4:30am and would not dare be outside at the time so I use the treadmill instead.
  • phil4v7
    Options
    Scrap the treadmill and get over your fears and go outside. It is more difficult but you will like it much better than the damned hamster wheel.

If you do insist on running on the TM, put it at a 1 or 2 incline. That helps simulate a little better the friction and pushing off of the ground.
    Mine's more of a temperature thing than a fear thing, but I do understand the sentiment. It just gets really hot in the afternoons when I'm able to make the time to run. And any time I run the treadmill, I do set it on a 2% incline.
    @phil- that's probably why I don't like the treadmill. LOL If I'm outside, I can get away from other people. They don't have to see my big digital 3.5 mph that I'm sporting during my walk breaks, and my big flashing red 4.5 mph that's my top speed! Oh well, my fat butt is running, so it's better than not running.
    Yeah, I don't know why I expect people to be watching my speed as I don't go around looking at other people's speed readout. But the anxiety that people are going to see and think negatively about it still creeps in somehow.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm wrapping up Week 3 of the C25K program. By nature I'm pretty shy and self conscious. But I am running outside early in the mornings. It is as cool as it can get for July and for the route I have, less traffic on the road. However, and I remind myself this, what is it I say or think whenever I'm driving and I pass a runner - especially an obviously overweight runner...? I mentally cheer them with a "you go fella, or girl" and actually think pretty positive thoughts toward them for being out there and working on something rather than just sitting around wishing for change or hoping for change without trying. Be encouraged! I doubt very many people will give you the time of day, but if they do, I bet there will be some impressed and supportive glances. Hope these thoughts help! oh - and one advantage to running outside if there is traffic... cars whizzing by produce a really fantastic breeze on those hot days!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Brian it is more my problem then someonelse's :-P

Get over it and get outside.
  • kansas_km
    Options
    Heat definitely has to do with it since I'm in Kansas. I have to be at work at 6am during school year so I have to do afternoon/evening workouts. I'm off for summer so hoping I can get into program where I'm comfortable by then. My treadmill is in basement so its cool and I have a tv.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Heat definitely has to do with it since I'm in Kansas. I have to be at work at 6am during school year so I have to do afternoon/evening workouts. I'm off for summer so hoping I can get into program where I'm comfortable by then. My treadmill is in basement so its cool and I have a tv.

Those are excuses. You CAN get up and workout before going to work ... you CAN go out right now and learn to exercise in the mid day heat ... you CAN go outside in the evening or night ... even in Kansas. I ran 15km outdoors in Overland Park last weekend and I'm doing 4mi in Lenexa tomorrow morning.

So far we've migrated from you being "embaressed to huff and puff outside" to the heat in Kansas. What's the next excuse?
  • phil4v7
    Options
    The important thing is that you're running and getting the exercise. Some prefer the treadmill and apparently some think that real running only occurs outdoors. Run where you're comfortable running.
  • kansas_km
    Options
    Brian..Is it just me or are you trying to be mean? Other people are saying in this thread they don't like to be outside because of heat. You do...great. Don't ram it down my throat because I'm not superman like you!
  • kansas_km
    Options
    Thanks phil..I appreciate your support.