Gluten Free Diet pls suggest

Options
I would like some suggestions about gluten free diet.

I have been with this pain in my belly and this is the most important reason why I am taking care of myself. I want to eat healthy and not having more pains in my belly after eating. I think I am eating OK, some of MFP friends even said so. Though, today after 2 slices of bread (normal size and thin) 45% wheat, I got a swollen belly and big pain in my belly, in such a way that I had to stop shopping and going home. Now I feel better.

I am planning to do a test for gluten sensitivity, but I am going on holidays. I hope with a free gluten diet my belly stops hurting. Since I had 20 years old that I rarely eat bread and pasta. Both in very small quantities. Recently, this changed and I got my old belly problems back. After my holidays I will go to the Doctor.

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My wife is Gluten free. Dominos Pizza is the best Gluten free that I have found if that helps.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash
    omelet's
    greek nonfat yogurt
    rice
    quinoa
    veggies
    fruit
    meat/fish
    cheese
    almond milk
    nuts
    dark chocolate
    salad
    beans (in small quantities)
    oatmeal ( if gluten free---my body can't handle regular oats)

I have cheated I think twice since I start GF diet . Luckily, I don't have celiac so I can cheat a little but I do have gluten sensitivity like you and I have noticed a huge difference since I started this diet! My stomach pains went away (used to have IBS type symptoms) and I have no more uncontrollable cravings or headaches, no more bloating after meals...weight comes off effortlessly and I just feel lighter and happier. I wish you luck! Feel free to add me if you want! My diary is open.

Best,
    Nicole
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am newly gluten free (since the end of February), so I am still learning. I have the same issues you have. I was diagnosed with IBS-C. I tested negative for celiacs and other allergies. I have been eating a LOW FODMAP diet to combat this with wonderful results. I have done a trial of gluten on a few occasions that ended in 2+ weeks of being sick (most recent had me sent to the next town for extensive testing due to severe pain). With LOW FODMAP, I have eliminated gluten, dairy, onions, garlic, beans and legumes, tomato products (fresh tomato is ok), limit broccoli, green peas, apples, pears. It took about 6 weeks or so before I seen results and decreased pain, bloat, flatulence, and improved bowel movements. Now, I am 100% pain free thanks to this diet, and as long as I stick to it.

I eat a lot of stir fries, eggs, chicken, fish, quinoa, rice, I tolerate oatmeal every now and then, salads, red meat (small quantities), and tolerated fruits and veggies.

If you are planning to test for celiacs, you need to be eating gluten in order for the test to be reliable.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Didn't think about it because it is so tasty and has become one of my favorite meals. Spaghetti squash with Newman's own marinara sauce. I can have gluten but this meal clocks in at about 240 calories so its a keeper.
  • pammysay
    pammysay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My situation was very similar. I've been Gluten free since Oct and only have pain and bloating when i slip up.

There are so many good gluten free things on the market these days!

Udi's Gluten free bread. Is great. Ronzoni and Barilla make a delicious gluten free pasta. READ EVERY PACKAGE. Soy sauce has wheat and i didn't know that for a few months and it was killing me. I did a lot of internet searching and it was very helpful. I eat more rice now than before. I recommend getting a gluten free cook book. I've found some great recipes.

Good Luck- feel better!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you want to get accurate results on bloodwork, don't stop eating gluten before you see your doctor.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Gluten free is pretty easy if you cook your meals from scratch. Meat, fish, fruit and vegetables are all naturally gluten free.

For grains, just don't buy wheat products. If you want pasta, rice noodles are a usually inexpensive gluten free choice. Serve meals with rice, quinoa or without a grain. Bread is usually the hardest to replace, but there are several gluten free bread choices available.

Dining out or eating pre-made meals/foods is usually the biggest problem as gluten is a common food additive. Look for restaurants that have a gluten-free menu, or stick to grilled meats, vegetables and rice. Avoid casseroles and sauces as these would be more likely to have additives.
  • April_B724
    April_B724 Posts: 19
    Options
    My family has been GF for about 5 years, I don't not always eat GF but the hubby and kiddos do. I agree with most of the suggestions so far....I would also like to add:

Chipotle (burrito bowl)
    Schaar noodles (they taste the most like regular noodles)
    Any Chex cereal.
    Trader Joes has a very nice GF list and everything that we have tried there has been very good.

Best of luck to you :)
  • April_B724
    April_B724 Posts: 19
    Options
    If you want to get accurate results on bloodwork, don't stop eating gluten before you see your doctor.

Also was going to put this in my post. This is very important.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My situation was very similar. I've been Gluten free since Oct and only have pain and bloating when i slip up.

There are so many good gluten free things on the market these days!

Udi's Gluten free bread. Is great. Ronzoni and Barilla make a delicious gluten free pasta. READ EVERY PACKAGE. Soy sauce has wheat and i didn't know that for a few months and it was killing me. I did a lot of internet searching and it was very helpful. I eat more rice now than before. I recommend getting a gluten free cook book. I've found some great recipes.

Good Luck- feel better!

Tamari is a type of soy sauce that is made with little or no wheat. You should be able to find some without wheat in most Asian markets, or on the internet.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would like some suggestions about gluten free diet.

I have been with this pain in my belly and this is the most important reason why I am taking care of myself. I want to eat healthy and not having more pains in my belly after eating. I think I am eating OK, some of MFP friends even said so. Though, today after 2 slices of bread (normal size and thin) 45% wheat, I got a swollen belly and big pain in my belly, in such a way that I had to stop shopping and going home. Now I feel better.

I am planning to do a test for gluten sensitivity, but I am going on holidays. I hope with a free gluten diet my belly stops hurting. Since I had 20 years old that I rarely eat bread and pasta. Both in very small quantities. Recently, this changed and I got my old belly problems back. After my holidays I will go to the Doctor.

Not sure if you're in Canada or in the US, but either way this is a super useful resource. http://www.celiac.ca/

My mum is Celiac and so the whole family has gotten into a pretty gluten free mode of eating generally. I have a ton of awesome brands for breads and pastas and such that I can recommend if you're Canadian based. Some of them even taste better than their gluten-filled counterparts!
  • jenmaclean66
    Options
    Not sure if you're in Canada or in the US, but either way this is a super useful resource. http://www.celiac.ca/

My mum is Celiac and so the whole family has gotten into a pretty gluten free mode of eating generally. I have a ton of awesome brands for breads and pastas and such that I can recommend if you're Canadian based. Some of them even taste better than their gluten-filled counterparts!

Not the OP, but I'll take the info!
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am not from Canada or US. I am from Europe - The Netherlands, more exactly. Thanks! :flowerforyou:
    For all others, thanks for all the tips. I will confirm 1st with the doctor, before a diet. For now, I will just be careful with the bread. I am not a fan of pasta, so with pasta there is no problem. I am a rice lover, and I can eat rice all the time. :drinker:
  • blueeyez1727
    blueeyez1727 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    we have a gluten free member in our household, and so when i cook a big dinner...we all eat gluten free, but it doesn't have to sacrifice taste or options!

we do a lot of healthy rice dishes: lightened up fried rice, mexican rice, black bean, chicken, etc
    also there is always the option without a carb: fish and veggies or chicken and veggies are a go-to (add a sweet potato or we love the red skin potatoes..yummm, if you really want some starch)

tinkyada pasta has to be my favorite GF pasta i've found so far...you can get it at walmart! barilla also is good. just be careful with overcooking or reheating...GF pasta gets gummy.

luckily because GF has come to the surface as a big issue for many people, it's easy to find options, and it is getting cheaper.

there's even GF bisquick or baking mixes, i found GF breadcrumbs too although i haven't had the chance to use them yet.

don't be scared of it! just check labels and learn what to look for! Aldi's has released a gluten free line, and don't forget amazon! i have subscriptions for bread mix, bisquick mix (pizza and pancakes, anyone?), and every so often i have them ship brownies my way so i have something sweet to make him quick. the subscription gives you a lower price and free shipping :)
  • Kittylu
    Kittylu Posts: 19
    Options
    As much as I hate to go to the grocery store, I need to check into this Amazon thing. How long have you been using Amazon. I finally started the gluten free diet today. It's 3:40 pm., I actually think I will finally get serious about this. I hope I make it through the entire evening. I usually can't even make it to lunch.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Please go see a Doctor and get checked for Diverticulitis or Appendicitis. I do eat Gluten free and have allot of benefit from it but I started doing Gluten free due to pain in my stomach and Abdomen. Things got progressively worse until I had a colonoscopy and they found I had acute Diverticulitis and have to have surgery to remove a small part of the colon. Needless to say this is major surgery and it took almost 6 months to fully recover but I feel fantastic now and much, much healthier. Your stomach pains could be the sign of something serious and I would strongly suggest you see a doctor. Good Luck!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds that might be causing this reaction (ie: metformin)?
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

^^ This, all the way. I'd say to keep your diet the same until you do the blood work. It could very well be something else, so you don't want to confuse the results.

And if so, good luck! I don't actually know anyone that eats gluten-free besides my good friend who has Celiac, and she still eats very well and with plenty of variety. She was never much of a bread person anyway x)
  • blueeyez1727
    blueeyez1727 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to go to the grocery store, I need to check into this Amazon thing. How long have you been using Amazon. I finally started the gluten free diet today. It's 3:40 pm., I actually think I will finally get serious about this. I hope I make it through the entire evening. I usually can't even make it to lunch.

I've been doing amazon subscriptions since about August, love it!
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Are you on any meds that might be causing this reaction (ie: metformin)?

No, I am not in any meds. I was having vitamin D but because I have been on holidays with sun, I am making a break of that.