Feeling bloated from upping my protein

Options
Hey everyone I just wanted to know if anyone else has had a very bloated feeling from upping their protein? Is this normal and will it go away when my body is used to it. Nothing else has changed but my protein intake so I am think most likely from that. I am eating at a slight deficit. 5'3 31 year old female 121 pounds , heavy lifting 3 times a week and trying to lose some body fat but not muscle. I am eating between 70-110 grams of protein a day. Bloating feeling from protein?

Replies

• Tilim
    Tilim Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Can be. Some people get really gassy because of protein. I mean there is a reason why bodybuilders are famous for farting a lot. If you are actually eating protein maybe your salt intake is higher now as well from the seasoning and you are retaining water.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It also depends on the protein itself. Whey protein is better than soy, and if you are using a powder, try to find one that doesn't have too much carbs in it. The kind I use has 35g of protein and 2g of carbs. On the other hand I would suggest upping your protein slowly so your body can adjust.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I stop taking protein powder but rather just eat lots of chicken and turkey...I used to feel super bloated when I had protein bar and shakes...:( it was not pleasant...weight training already has my muscle swollen don't need more bloating...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Try spacing out you protein intake more. Lean more toward natural proteins like chicken, lentils fish etc over protein powders and supplements. They are better quality proteins for your body, and may not affect your guts as badly.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    All of the above. Also could be constipation bloating you. Sometimes upping protein can back you up, make sure you get some fiber in you where you can.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    All of the above. Also could be constipation bloating you. Sometimes upping protein can back you up, make sure you get some fiber in you where you can.

Actually often people who focus on protein tend to overlook their fat intake...and that could cause the backup...fiber...is something overrated, IMHO. :)
  • deatharrow
    deatharrow Posts: 10
    Options
    That depends. Where is the protein coming from?
    If it is from whey protein, yout probably have a sensitivity to the whey/lactose.
    If it's purely from meat, then there shouldn't be any reason for you feeling bloated or gassy, unless you are gluten intolerant because some low quality meats contain gluten as a filler.

If it's neither of those, I would say you're digestive problems are stemming from somewhere else.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein shakes/bars use artificial sweeteners, so if you added protein in that form, you could be reacting to the particular sweetener.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.. I actually eat all my protein through meats and greek yogurts and such. I dont tike protein shakes or protein bars so I don't drink/eat them ever. I don't feel gassy and I am not constipated at all just bloated. Just thought it might have been the protein bc I haven't changed anything else really. I do watch my fiber as well so that not really a issue. Oh well. Maybe its my body getting used to the more filling foods.
  • sltovey
    sltovey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My stats are similar to yours: 5'3", 117 pounds, working on body recomposition through a body weight lifting program 4x per week for about 3 weeks now. (I also run 10-15 miles per week.) Finally this week I increased my protein due to being constantly ravenous, going over calories at least twice a week (by a LOT), and figuring out that I needed to work on my macros. I'm now getting about 90 grams of protein per day. But I'm having the opposite effect: instant loss of 2 pounds. I think for me it's the difference of finally keeping to my calorie allowance, and not having as many carbs to retain water. (Not that I'm avoiding carbs, it's just that I can only fit so many in while meeting my protein, fat, and calorie goals.)

Is it possible that you are close to your time of month? Sorry if tmi.

Eta: I'm 33 yo.
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    My stats are similar to yours: 5'3", 117 pounds, working on body recomposition through a body weight lifting program 4x per week for about 3 weeks now. (I also run 10-15 miles per week.) Finally this week I increased my protein due to being constantly ravenous, going over calories at least twice a week (by a LOT), and figuring out that I needed to work on my macros. I'm now getting about 90 grams of protein per day. But I'm having the opposite effect: instant loss of 2 pounds. I think for me it's the difference of finally keeping to my calorie allowance, and not having as many carbs to retain water. (Not that I'm avoiding carbs, it's just that I can only fit so many in while meeting my protein, fat, and calorie goals.)

Is it possible that you are close to your time of month? Sorry if tmi.

Eta: I'm 33 yo.

Hi thanks for your response. Yes it does sound like a similar situation. I am 31 years old. I was a runner for about 4 years, I ran about 15+ miles a week, and lost all my weight doing so and never concentrated on my macros. I got down to 117 and stayed there for about 2 or so years. Now I fluctuate between 120-123 mostly weighing in at 122. I recently started lifting weights bc I was sick of this what some call a skinny fat body. Since I have been reading a lot of how to change from this. I started the heavy lifting and also stopped running. I loved running but now that I have not done a single run for a little while now I realized I didn't need it anymore bc my body actually looks better from lifting and no running. Anyways yeah I guess it could be close to that time of month but its a different kind of bloat. Shrug lol Ill just keep truckin and not worry about the bloat.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    When increasing your protein you should also increase your water intake. Protein can cause constipation and gas which can cause bloating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Actually often people who focus on protein tend to overlook their fat intake...and that could cause the backup...fiber...is something overrated, IMHO. :)

Fiber is good for preventing constipation, but not for curing it. Fiber is not absorbed so it passes through your GI tract, binding other stuff into stools to travel along with it. But, since it is a binding agent, adding more when you are constipated can worsen the problem.
  • eimaj5575
    Options
    Just a clarification , this info is good to know but I am NOT constipated or gassy lol.