Traveling by Airplane

Options
Hello MFP Community!
I will be traveling across the country at the beginning of August and am SO excited but also SO nervous about flying! I have not flown for many years, mostly due to my weight. I have to make this flight to an event, but am scared about things like for example-- will I fit in the seat????

I have been working hard and if my current progress continues, I will weigh about 270 when I travel.

Anyone out there have advice for a nervous flyer? Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm a very frequent flyer, both domestic and internationally. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Will you fit into the seat?

First, have a look at seatguru
    http://www.seatguru.com/

Find the seat dimensions for your particular airline, airplane, date, and class of service.
    For example, Delta flight 2393 today is using a Boeing 737-900. Now look at the seat map. Find the pitch (knee room) and width.
    A standard coach seat on this flight has pitch of 30-31" and width of 17.2". Fairly typical.

At your current weight, you may or may not need a seat belt extender. It really depends on where you carry your weight. If you do need one, just ask a flight attendant.

An aisle seat will be more comfortable for you. Go to your flight reservation to select your seat. If you're flying on Southwest, there is no seat selection, try to get an early boarding number. Southwest has specific policies relating to what they term POS (persons of size). Probably won't apply to you, but can't be sure.

Are you nervous about any other aspects of flying? What to take through security, luggage limits, safety?

If you have any other specific questions, I'll try to help.
  • Kbelicious
    Kbelicious Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Artionis - what a thoughtful and lovely reply. It's because of people like you I love this community! :happy:
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    In my experience (travelling when I was about that weight 260ish, and I'm 5'2) you will fit in the seat but it may be possible to need a seat belt extender. I NEVER took one I would rather squeeze my fat belly into the seat belt :blushing: - I would put the seat belt under my belly (since I was front heavy) and tada to it fit :huh: Probably not the safest method but it worked nonetheless
  • JSPictures
    JSPictures Posts: 13
    Options
    I carry most of my weight in my tummy and hips... I am flying Delta and will have my slender teen daughter with me. Artonis and everyone, thank you so much for your helpful advice and sweet words! I feel much better about this now... Someday, it won't even be an issue, but my life will not be on hold until that day... so here I go!! :flowerforyou: