Hi I'm Ed!

Options
Hi.

My daughter Allison is writing this blog for me. I'm new here. Actually I don't even know I'm on here yet because my daughter hasn't told me. With your support.. I'm hoping to shed a few pounds and gain my life back!!

I am 54. I have had a hard life. I love my kids and I want to be there for them. I have a smoker's disease called Buerger's disease. I have lost both of my legs from this. I have been determined to laugh in the face of challenge for the last 20 years since losing my legs. I have a new challenge though that I can't get through. I have diabetes. I can't seem to get my sugar under control and I'm hoping with some advice and encouragement.... I will laugh at diabetes too!

I'm a mechanic... my daughter Allison call's me the "Car doctor". I love cars and can't even count how many I have owned. I love racing and I love classic muscle cars. I also love fishing and I love eating!

any advice would be great!

Replies

• laurnol
    laurnol Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi Ed welcome, glad your here, even though you may not know it yet. I'm trying to lose weight to help my sugar levels, which my dr.said were starting to become a problem.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • Allison128
    Allison128 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi dad. I hope you don't mind. I took it upon myself to create a profile for you. This is an absolutely WONDERFUL website. It is like Facebook for weightloss!

I love you sooooo much and I want you to learn how to control your diabetes. You should still be able to enjoy your food. Hopefully you will get great advice and great tips from other people in similar situations.

I am so proud of you and EVERYTHING you have accomplished. You are a strong man. You are a brave man and I have no idea how you have done the things you have done in your life with such determination! You are my hero and my rock dad! I have never been ashamed of you or your losses. I look at you with admiration and love!

You have taught me to take control of my own life and you have taught me determination and to never give up! Thank you!

I'm here for ya!

I'm a daddy's girl... what else can I say?? Oh- I LOVE YOU... every bit!
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ed! If you accurately record everything you eat each day, you are bound to see which areas need to change in your eating, and your weight will slowly but surely drop down. My father has diabetes as well and has a bad leg which makes exercise difficult due to his large size. I wish you the best on your weight loss/healthier eating venture. :flowerforyou:
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hey Ed and welcome! Well when you do come on...I will be here for support if you would like it!
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi, Ed! I'm Shannon. You have a very wise daughter. You should be very proud. I have some health concerns also, and I am trying to get in shape to help prevent diabetes. I also want to make sure I am around for my 10 month old grandson. You can do this. This site, in just the few days I have been using it, has inspired me to keep working at it, but it also gives me an outlet to voices my fears, concerns, failures, and triumphs without fear of rejection or criticism. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me.
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Ed. It's a great place to be. I joined on 7/4/2010 and have lost 61 pounds. I love it here. Lots of encourgement and support. Good luck on your weight loss journey. Feel free to add me as a friend, we can help motivate each other.
  • ♥jewelchristian♥
    ♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
    Options
    Welcome Ed & Alison, this is a wonderful site and you will find more support and motivation here

Both of you are welcome to add me as a friend!

Cheers
    jewel
  • aseldomridge
    Options
    Welcome! I hope you like it here and any support you need we'll be here.

P.S. I know your daughter made your profile but you might want to switch your sex to male instead of female! lol If nothing else to get a more accuarte amount of calories lol
  • tiffvea
    tiffvea Posts: 51
    Options
    Welcome Ed.......no matter the differences of why or how we got here, we can do it together! Good luck on your adventure to better health! Add me as a friend if you'd like, I make a good cheerleader! lol!
  • Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    Welcome Ed! You have a fantastic attitude and it's nice to see what a nice loving, supportive family you have. One of the really helpful things about this site is that it lets you record everything you eat AND print out the log. That can really help you and your doctor to pinpoint areas that can be changed. I wish you great success in overcoming your latest challenge!
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi Ed! You have a wonderful daughter. Reading both the post she wrote for you, and her own, brought tears to my eyes!

But she is so right, Ed -- this is a fantastic site! And it is like Facebook for weight loss. In fact, my husband calls it "Fatbook". He's not being mean -- it's affection, as he's on here, too!

Just remember one thing -- this isn't a race, it's a lifestyle change. You can so this slowly and steadily and be on your way to a healthier you!

Trisha
  • nejohn
    nejohn Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Ed!

Welcome! You have an amazing daughter that loves you very much. You're very blessed.

I wish you great success and I have no doubt you can do it! You'll have the best support here and you have it at home.

Neva
  • laurnol
    Options
    You sound like a great daughter who loves her dad a whole bunch. Although I am now retired for many year I rotated shifts every 28 days. It plays heck with your schedule, we rotated backwards I.e. Midnights to afternoons to days. When I first started out I gained a ton of weight. I tried living normal peoples schedule eating when your normally suppose to then I would eat while at work, shudder to remember then. Started putting on weight again, never want to return to those days (weight wise), that's why I am here.
  • laurnol
    Options
    Fatbook I like that and an going to use it.
  • green__bean
    Options
    Hi Ed! You can do this. I know from experience how hard it is to quit smoking. If you did that, there is nothing you can't do! Stick around here and get help! It seems to work.
  • katsmeow77
    Options
    Hey there Ed,

I just wanted to tell you that you must be a GREAT dad for your daughter to be so determined to get you on track. I have been on this site since the end of October and have lost 17lbs since my last weigh-in. I have to tell you that I do not EXERCISE. Not that I am saying that you shouldn't because it is a definite plus, but I am losing weight just by eating better. Once you start logging (HONESTLY) your drinks, meals and snacks, you will start seeing the weight drop. It may take a bit for you to start getting excited about logging calories, but you will when you see progress. Once you get the hang of it, try to exercise. I have many excuses as to why I don't, but I promise that I will push myself to start. We are all in this together and as you already know, a disability or disease is just another obstacle that you WILL overcome. I wish nothing but the best for you and your daughter! Good Luck and I hope to see that you are reading this and making your daughter happy!
  • laurnol
    Options
    Hey there a hardy hi ho and welcome. Your daughter seems like a fantastic person, you can do it. Don't forget go bears.
  • Allison128
    Allison128 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your encouraging words!

Diabetes is a very crappy and complicated disease. But we will get through it!!

Thanks!