Cheat Meal? Cheat Day? What food are you thinking about?

Options

Replies

• kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am kind of over the cheat meal/cheat day bc the food never tastes as good as the pound or two I put on as a result, so I ascribe to what many posters are saying here that if I want something slightly unhealthy I'll bank my cals to make it fit, otherwise the decadence is saved for the holidays and my Bday. This makes those times extra special, since I am eating food I've not eaten in months.
  • Rocky791
    Rocky791 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cheaters never win, winners never cheat!

That being said, if you are using a cheat day you are setting yourself up to fail.

Instead make a lifestyle change and eat what you want when you want keeping your calories and macros inline with your goals.

Good luck.

I think that being too strict and never allowing yourself any of the foods (in moderation, which is what a once a week cheat meal would qualify as) that you crave is what will set someone up to fail. Agreed that it should be a lifestyle change but you're also only human.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't normally bank calories on purpose during the week. However it is the holiday this weekend, so I'm planning on eating at maintenance level, and I won't worry one bit if it's slightly over, since I've "banked" about 300 calories this week so far (oops, didn't mean to get upset tummy on Monday night). That's two extra beers for me, please!

But, I don't do this weekly, more like monthly "one day" at maintenance. Just for sanity, and the flexibility to have fun, family gatherings be food oriented without being such a drag.
  • smileitsconfusing
    Options
    Cheaters never win, winners never cheat!

That being said, if you are using a cheat day you are setting yourself up to fail.

Instead make a lifestyle change and eat what you want when you want keeping your calories and macros inline with your goals.

Good luck.

thats good
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I never do an entire day just a meal ( dinner ) every Saturday or Sunday! But I don't go crazy and binge eat that's why i think cheat days can be very detrimental. I usually plan out the cheat meal its usually homemade pizza or eggplant parm!
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Papa John's pizza and Mountain Dew!!!!!!!!!
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    also, I cheat all day on Sundays. It helps me relax and unwind
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This message brought to you by Papa John's Large Thin Crust Pizza. Half of a pizza is 920-960 calories, depending on which site you believe! So, that leaves some of us 150-500 depending on exercise. I think it's worth it. :laugh:
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses everyone! I love seeing different people's opinions and ways that work for them :) I just have to find mine! :happy:

I should really start eating better and save my cheat day for my birthday next month....21st! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    PIZZA!!! Oh, most definitely pizza. But I don't think I can ever afford to have a "cheat day". I have had a lifetime of cheat days and now I am paying the price for it. I am still a newbie to this journey so (thank God) I have not had any "I must have it" cravings. But when that time does come I will allow for it in moderation and log it with the rest of my food. I've had to change my entire way of thinking and this site and the people on here have helped me to do that. In the past I was the tomorrow Queen... eat all you want today because tomorrow you will do it perfect. But tomorrow never came... at least not for perfect girl, and instead I just got bigger and bigger. I am happy to say that now tomorrow is actually here and perfect girl has left the building. It's just me left, with a whole new attitude about me, my food and the way I look at it. Thanks everyone for all your posts... it really helps me. God Bless!!! :smile:
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I remember days when I used to cheat and treat myself...now I eat what I want...providing it meats my macro nutrient requirements. Sometimes it doesn.t....but I still would have gone 10 or 20g of a particular macro....which is no biggy. But isnt that the point of this site?
  • natalee8
    natalee8 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm a have-your-cake-and-eat it kinda girl (I would imagine I am not alone in that here..)

I've been working the foods I loooove into my diary, I also had a week not logging (and gained 0.5lb, although have lost 3-3.8lb on weeks where I have so wasn't too bothered) and intend to have another one in 2 weeks (both for holidays).
    Also I am having a treat day today because, well ....... because I felt grumpy and because I hit the 10lb mark this week so why the hell not? I've eaten everything I fancied today, upped my exercise and only gone 100kcal over, which I'll make up for over the rest of the week so I won't say it's been a "cheat", but I certainly would not be healthy eating like this everyday!

I am of the strong opinion that if you feel deprived you will inevitably fail. If it works for you to have one cheat day a week, where you eat what you like at maintenance calories or a bit above, you're still in deficit 85% of your week, so it might take you a little longer to lose the weight, but if it's enough to make it easier and more sustainable for you, then it can only be a positive thing :)
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    The tough part I'm having is limiting it. For example, I was going to eat a Subway sandwich for dinner...6 inch on wheat, turkey, cheese, lettuce, olive oil blend. I didn't think it was that bad....I'd usually get chips too but that's definitely not happening after I logged my sandwich and saw how much of my macros it took lol :noway:
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The only that I will go over maintenance for is beer.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    On days I splurge I just aim to hit maintenance or below.

Anyway my splurge would be a vegetarian taco salad and beer. Heat, salt, beer, perfect.

Edit: grammar fail
  • genchan
    genchan Posts: 28
    Options
    What am I thinking about? Hmmm...beef skirts. 2 lbs worth. ^_^ That should satisfy my tummy. Most of my diet consists of grains, dark veggies, boiled chicken, fruits, other odd foods like apricot kernels, papaya seeds, chia seeds, ginger root, etc. The stuff that my ancestors usually have in their diet thousands of years ago. Regardless of how bitter some of the foods that I consume, I only care for its nutritional value and what it does for you. I have a very hard time of enjoying my food.
  • tanyoshka
    tanyoshka Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally have cheat days, but on the weekends I allow myself to eat at maintenance. An extra 500 calories sure feels like "cheating." I think of it as a pause rather than a step backward.
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    I don't intentionally have cheat days, but on the weekends I allow myself to eat at maintenance. An extra 500 calories sure feels like "cheating." I think of it as a pause rather than a step backward.

I like that :) I need a PAUSE and not drag myself back to where I DON'T want to be! :):happy:
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I love my southern comfort foods. I'm planning homemade sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast in the morning :)