Shoulder Pain

Options
Hi all!

I think I have done something to my shoulder, it doesn't completely hurt but sometimes when I'm doing moves in Plank position, or have to lift/raise my arms in a certain way just at the top, behind my shoulder really pains.

I had hurt it in plank position before, or in a similar pose in yoga, but i plastered it in deep heat, was more light on my exercise doing modifications etc, and a week and a half later it was fine, but it's happened again, and i'm not sure if it was in plank or lifting weights, I didnt actually feel it happen until next day, and i'm scared because I dont want to seriously harm my shoulder.

What tips would you recommend in help healing? I was gunna wait a while incase I did something to a ligament before I see my doctor.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Just avoid painful movements until you can get to a doctor. They might refer you to a physical therapist.
    I was gunna wait a while incase I did something to a ligament before I see my doctor.

Why wait?
  • lollypoppet
    lollypoppet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It only happend the other day, it might heal on its on, i dont like going lol.
  • Scott_2025
    Scott_2025 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had something similar this winter. I am not sure what I did, but it hurt to raise it over my head. I was certain I was going to have surgery to fix it. It hurt like crazy.

Went to the Dr. He gave me steroids and high powered ibuprofen. I also did some physical therapy. three months later I am good as new. Maybe not good as new, but close. I'm too old to ever be good as new... LOL...
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It could be tendonitis. There's so little blood flow in the tendons that they can take several weeks of rest to heal properly.

Or it could be something more serious, like a tear or something. Have a doc check it out.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It might just be a muscle strain so take some ibuprofen and use some heat and ice and let it rest for a few days. If it's still hurting after say 10 days, go to the doctor. You might have something wrong with your rotator cuff.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would say go easy, rest it, ibuprofen, and after 10 days - 2 weeks if it's still not better, go see a doc! Better sooner than later...those things can manifest into something really UGLY. Hope it gets better!!
  • TruckerWife922
    Options
    I had sharp pains in my shoulder once, didn't think I did anything wrong to it but could raise my arm past my shoulder and the pain brought me to tears. My doctor asked me a "weird" question....How many sodas do you drink per day? The carbonation is soda can sometimes put "gas bubbles" in your shoulders. Believe me, I said "WTF" too! But gave it a try and quit drinking soda for a few days. Presto, no pain!

Not saying this is the solution, but something to think about if you drink sodas. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!
  • jenn3365
    jenn3365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have had and still have shoulder problems for years. Had both open reconstruction. I hope you are warming your shoulders up before exercising. Simple range of motion. Also make sure you stretch out after. You can use cold compresses to reduce inflammation. If it continues see a doctor and try and get into physical therapy. Surgery sucks. Prevention is easy if you take time.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I had sharp pains in my shoulder once, didn't think I did anything wrong to it but could raise my arm past my shoulder and the pain brought me to tears. My doctor asked me a "weird" question....How many sodas do you drink per day? The carbonation is soda can sometimes put "gas bubbles" in your shoulders. Believe me, I said "WTF" too! But gave it a try and quit drinking soda for a few days. Presto, no pain!

I have never heard this before. I'm curious. What doctor was it you saw? An MD, family doctor, chiropractor - do you remember?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You should probably go see a doctor if it does not get better in a few days.

I do the routine in this video twice per week. I started doing it after getting some pain in my shoulder from lifting weights. Have not had any problems since starting it.

http://youtu.be/VRYmTEN_ZA8

Do it without weights or with resistance bands if you cant use a cable machine.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i hope you rest it and go to the doctor if it isn't all better.. if you use it and there's more pain, definitely give your shoulder some time off. i thought i had a strain or sprain in my shoulder, but turned out to be a torn rotator cuff, which i a fairly common injury that can be made worse by exercise.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It could be tendonitis. There's so little blood flow in the tendons that they can take several weeks of rest to heal properly.

Or it could be something more serious, like a tear or something. Have a doc check it out.

Yes this. Think about having good postures, work your back muscles if you can without pain. I had to have c-rays and an MRI to find out why I had pain. Most shoulder issues can resolve themselves with rest, and can re-occur with poor form or bad posture.

My surgeon had a rotator cuff tear and opted to let it heal on it's own. I had surgery last yeAr, and my rotator is still not fully healed. I cannot do planks or push-ups or any throwing movements yet. It's a very complicated area,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Shoulders are a complicated joint and hard to access since pain in one position could mean several issues. Just had a friend who stop using his shoulders after doing a Mud Run because of soreness, and tells me today (after 3 months) that he actually has a torn labrum.
    Wouldn't hurt to find out the reason. Can hurt more if you ignore it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • trifona
    trifona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I think I have done something to my shoulder, it doesn't completely hurt but sometimes when I'm doing moves in Plank position, or have to lift/raise my arms in a certain way just at the top, behind my shoulder really pains.

I had hurt it in plank position before, or in a similar pose in yoga, but i plastered it in deep heat, was more light on my exercise doing modifications etc, and a week and a half later it was fine, but it's happened again, and i'm not sure if it was in plank or lifting weights, I didnt actually feel it happen until next day, and i'm scared because I dont want to seriously harm my shoulder.

What tips would you recommend in help healing? I was gunna wait a while incase I did something to a ligament before I see my doctor.

Sounds similar the symptoms I had when I tore the labrum in my shoulder last year. It was initially thought to be tendonitis, but it wasn't responding to conventional treatment. PT was making it worse.
  • lollypoppet
    Options
    Well, i deffinitely dont wanna stop working out, so i might just stick to cardio for now, like I said before it did heal, its just annoying, I might lift my arm to do my hair, or something as simple as that and it will hurt, but if i rasie it up, or put my arm behind my back etc its fine, its just in particular angles like tying my hair, i'll feel it. It's awful, and I sleep on my arm on that side (i magically wake up with my arm like that) and obviously, its not just that pain but I can feel the muscles in that area as tight and knotted from my head.
  • lollypoppet
    Options
    I think i'll give it 10 days, like some of you say before I go and see my Doctor! I deffinitely dont wanna make it worse :(