How can already slim girl lose weight?

2»

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Thanks for all the answers!

But skinny-fat is definately not me. My body is toned, I would just like to look, well, it's hard to explain, but maybe the right word is smaller?

My body ideal is something like that, only a bit more muscular.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/22/article-2610235-1D41A07E00000578-391_634x978.jpg

So your body ideal is super skinny with zero muscle definition? Easy, just lose weight, don't lift weights, or eat a lot of protein and you're good to go...
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    From your description you seem to have the best of both worlds, you are at a healthy weight (at the low end of it) and you are athletic.

Any issues you have with the way you look will not be solved by diet. I have not seen a picture of you so I can't tell for sure, but this may have more to do with your frame than with any actual fat.

If you have a wider frame and have curves, that's just how you are built, it's not going to change and lowering your weight to an unhealthy range will only interfere with your athletics and cause you to become sick.

Sorry to be so blunt.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    As others have said, if you're already slim, but unhappy, you need muscle.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

But skinny-fat is definately not me. My body is toned, I would just like to look, well, it's hard to explain, but maybe the right word is smaller?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/22/article-2610235-1D41A07E00000578-391_634x978.jpg

It actually sounds to me like you just need to accept that your frame and body structure is what it is. You can't make it smaller. You don't need to be smaller. Focus on the positives. Don't have unrealistic expectations for your body. I do think this is a body image issue. You gotta love your body, and be happy and enjoy life. So, keep eating well, working on fitness, and enjoy your life and what you can do with your body.

So many of us, in different ways, have unrealistic standards for our bodies when we are young and it holds us back. We've been there, done that. We know. Work on moving past that. Love and enjoy the body that you have and the life that you live.
  • You may be right, I might have unrealistic standards for my body. So I'm going to focus on just eating healthy (more protein) and go ing to gym for weight training more often.

Thank you for your answers!
  • BinaryPulsar
    You may be right, I might have unrealistic standards for my body. So I'm going to focus on just eating healthy (more protein) and go ing to gym for weight training more often.

Thank you for your answers!

Great!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • addicted2cola
    addicted2cola Posts: 43 Member

Um... I don't think you're supposed to be able to see a persons ribs from the outside like you canon the girl in this photo. 0_0

You're at a healthy weight now, and you're kicking butt in the athletic department already by the sound of it, being toned and athletic. You say it's because you don't like the way your body looks, but I think maybe you need to stop focusing on what you don't like about your body and focus on what you do like. Also, don't just focus on the way it looks! Think about how your body feels! Focus on how great your body feels when you complete an amazing workout, and how strong your body is. Learn to love the healthy body that you see in the mirror!
  • you can but its a lot harder but there are tips out there...from the time I began employing the Venus Factor, I've been reaching my weight loss dreams! I have to work on it, of course, however the Venus Factor system makes a lot of sense to me. Visit here to check out the video for additional information. online-prophet.com/lose_weight
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    If you are looking for body-image inspiration, try looking at an Athleta catalog. The models they use look fit, have a variety of body-frame types and boobages, and are not dangerously thin (though perhaps slightly low on body fat to make their muscles more visible in photos).

Measure the circumference of your wrists. This is an area that has neither fat nor muscle, but gives you an idea of your frame size. A 7 inch circumference (~18 cm) is typical. Mine is 8 inches (20 cm). No matter how much weight I lose I'm never going to look like someone with a 6 inch (15 cm) wrist circumference.

You have to deal with the realities of your body as it is, and choose goal body-types that are achievable. i can probably achieve the body type Starbucks had on the recent Battlestar Galactica. I probably can not achieve the body type 7 of 9 had on Star Trek TNG--at least not without major body surgery.

Be the best *you* that you can be. Find a body-model whose frame is most like your own and use that as your goal.
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Hello!

I'm not happy the way I look, so I decided to lose some weight. I've tried giving up sweets and white bread but that hasn't worked on me. So I'm not overweight or anything, I'm 168cm tall and weigh 55kg, I'm athletic and toned. At schooltime my exercise is track and field trainings 4 times a week (very intensive), at summertime I go running myself, I usually run 3-4 times a week 6-15km, plus gym.

The question is how can I lose weight when already being slim? Should I count calories or have some kind of special diet? I would like to get from 55kg to 50-51kg.

Thank you for your help! :)

You are quite slim, is not going to be easy for you to go to a 5-6% body fat, you need really strict dieting and intense exercise (not killing yourself, workout 3-4 times a week, as a woman you have better recovery), you can checkout Jen Ferruggia's program, I think that it does include exercise and diet.

http://bikinibodyworkouts.com/workouts/

Jen Ferruggia is Jason Ferruggia's wife, he is a very well known strength coach.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Hello!

I'm not happy the way I look, so I decided to lose some weight. I've tried giving up sweets and white bread but that hasn't worked on me. So I'm not overweight or anything, I'm 168cm tall and weigh 55kg, I'm athletic and toned. At schooltime my exercise is track and field trainings 4 times a week (very intensive), at summertime I go running myself, I usually run 3-4 times a week 6-15km, plus gym.

The question is how can I lose weight when already being slim? Should I count calories or have some kind of special diet? I would like to get from 55kg to 50-51kg.

You are quite slim, is not going to be easy for you to go to a 5-6% body fat, you need really strict dieting and intense exercise (not killing yourself, workout 3-4 times a week, as a woman you have better recovery), you can checkout Jen Ferruggia's program, I think that it does include exercise and diet.

http://bikinibodyworkouts.com/workouts/

Jen Ferruggia is Jason Ferruggia's wife, he is a very well known strength coach.

5-6% body fat is *entirely inappropriate* for a woman. Don't go dropping that pro-ANA **** around here. >:(
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    You are quite slim, is not going to be easy for you to go to a 5-6% body fat

What? That is not healthy for a female, essential fat is 10-13%, most women start to lose their period once they get below 15% or so..
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • Rocky791
    Rocky791 Posts: 52 Member
    If you are looking for body-image inspiration, try looking at an Athleta catalog. The models they use look fit, have a variety of body-frame types and boobages, and are not dangerously thin (though perhaps slightly low on body fat to make their muscles more visible in photos).

Measure the circumference of your wrists. This is an area that has neither fat nor muscle, but gives you an idea of your frame size. A 7 inch circumference (~18 cm) is typical. Mine is 8 inches (20 cm). No matter how much weight I lose I'm never going to look like someone with a 6 inch (15 cm) wrist circumference.

You have to deal with the realities of your body as it is, and choose goal body-types that are achievable. i can probably achieve the body type Starbucks had on the recent Battlestar Galactica. I probably can not achieve the body type 7 of 9 had on Star Trek TNG--at least not without major body surgery.

Be the best *you* that you can be. Find a body-model whose frame is most like your own and use that as your goal.

Excellent post! I also find the Athleta catalogs inspiring... healthy and fit models are often shown working out. And they encompass a variety of body types like you said. And you are so right - you have to try to be the best you can be based on your own body type. Off to measure my wrists now. ;)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member

Excellent post! I also find the Athleta catalogs inspiring... healthy and fit models are often shown working out. And they encompass a variety of body types like you said. And you are so right - you have to try to be the best you can be based on your own body type. Off to measure my wrists now. ;)

oh my god just saw these replies....I keep both J.crew and Athleta catalogs in my bathroom one for clothing idea and the other for inspiration...I want to be that lean~ but of course...wishful thinking...those models aren't just spending half an hour a day in the gym and eating 1200 calories...LOL
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    OP, I am very close to your same weight, but you are more slender than me because you're taller. But the FACT remains that anyone at this weight CAN lose weight by counting every calorie. And by continuing to count calories, the weight loss CAN be maintained. If you want to look "smaller," you will look smaller at a lower weight even though you are already slender. It just takes longer to lose weight than it does for people who are heavier.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator

Keep in mind, you don't have that person's genetics. And honestly, if you want to be more slim (if your frame will allow it) AJ's recommendation of gaining muscle is the best approach. Muscle is more dense and lean than fat. So if you have more muscle and a lower body fat, you will get more lean., But in the end, you will still look like you, not that person in the picture. That is something you will have to accept.
  • yallllah
    yallllah Posts: 35 Member
    Hello! I'm in the same boat re: being a bit dissatisfied with my body despite knowing I'm not overweight/unhealthy. I'm struggling with what to do, as well.

I'm 165cm and anywhere from 54 to 54.5kg on a given day. I once was around 51kg and enjoyed the aesthetic of it (despite how unpopular my body type at the time probably would have been with segments of the iifym crowd). However, I got there via stress and unemployment, so. Obviously not a path I'd like to tread again.

Now I've decided that I'm going to focus on tightening up, getting stronger, and being more active. I'd like to lose a kilo, maybe, but I know that at my relatively low weight, losing quickly would actually be detrimental to looking firmer.

Basically I think that people (especially women) in our boat have to take a hard look at why we're trying to "lose weight". Would it make us feel better? Would it help our lifestyles? Or are we just chasing an impossible ideal? For me, I know it was the latter, at least partially. That's why I've shifted my goals to performance-standards with weight as secondary. It helps keep me sane, and reminds me that my body is ultimately just a tool for me to live my life through.

...Not that you'll come up with the same answers I did! But before you set any goals surrounding your body, try to be as honest with yourself as you can about your reasons behind your decisions. A little bit of self-reflection can help enormously and potentially save you years of confusion and self-torment.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Hello! I'm in the same boat re: being a bit dissatisfied with my body despite knowing I'm not overweight/unhealthy. I'm struggling with what to do, as well.

I'm 165cm and anywhere from 54 to 54.5kg on a given day. I once was around 51kg and enjoyed the aesthetic of it (despite how unpopular my body type at the time probably would have been with segments of the iifym crowd). However, I got there via stress and unemployment, so. Obviously not a path I'd like to tread again.

Now I've decided that I'm going to focus on tightening up, getting stronger, and being more active. I'd like to lose a kilo, maybe, but I know that at my relatively low weight, losing quickly would actually be detrimental to looking firmer.

Basically I think that people (especially women) in our boat have to take a hard look at why we're trying to "lose weight". Would it make us feel better? Would it help our lifestyles? Or are we just chasing an impossible ideal? For me, I know it was the latter, at least partially. That's why I've shifted my goals to performance-standards with weight as secondary. It helps keep me sane, and reminds me that my body is ultimately just a tool for me to live my life through.

...Not that you'll come up with the same answers I did! But before you set any goals surrounding your body, try to be as honest with yourself as you can about your reasons behind your decisions. A little bit of self-reflection can help enormously and potentially save you years of confusion and self-torment.

this one is a really good reply. Yeah, I feel every word you said although I haven't completely set peace with myself yet. I think I am kinda stuck with the idea of "once I was xxx lbs so I want to go back to that!" Its just a few pounds away but it seems taking forever. Plus you get all these people around you who seem doing nothing too particular and they lose weight and show it off to your face! what's wrong with me? I can't help bu wonder...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Hello!

I'm not sure I understand how you arrived at 'because I'm not happy with the way I look, I should lose weight' in light of the fact that you say you are already slim.

If what you mean to say is 'you're unhappy with your body shape', try weight training.
  • BinaryPulsar
    She has already realized from this thread that she doesn't need to lose weight. She does have muscle. She has a larger frame, bone structure. And she can't and doesn't need to change that, or be someone else.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Sounds to me like actually need to gain weight and put on some muscle, then cut back down. You'll end up at the same-ish weight you are now but with a better body composition.
    actually yea im gonna change my original comment to this.

body recomp all the way. if someone has the picture of the girl from nerd fitness who did a recomp that would be the best way to show this

I agree with these guys. If you already consider yourself thin then I'd consider putting on some muscle if I were you. Lift heavy weights, you'll love the results.
  • BinaryPulsar
    She doesn't have a high body fat or low muscle.

She just wanted to "be smaller". It is her frame size.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Currently, you have a body mass index of 19.5. That's slim, but still within the healthy range, according to the U.S. National Institutes of Health. If you get to 51 kilograms, then your bmi will be 18.1, which is underweight.

You should appreciate your slim body as it is. Too much or too little of a good thing is not always a good thing.
  • psuLemon

The problem that comes into play is we don't have pictures so it's hard to judge. But many of us have provide ways to become smaller.... a recomp being at the for front of that, followed by a bulk/cut phase.
  • BinaryPulsar

The problem that comes into play is we don't have pictures so it's hard to judge. But many of us have provide ways to become smaller.... a recomp being at the for front of that, followed by a bulk/cut phase.

That was my first reccomendation also. But, I read all of her posts and talked to her. She does not see excess fat on her body, she likes her muscles and athleticism.

She is young, and this does appear to be an issue of perception. She seems to have worked that out.

But, of course...recomp and bulking/cutting is always a great option.
  • psuLemon

That was my first reccomendation also. But, I read all of her posts and talked to her. She does not see excess fat on her body, she likes her muscles and athleticism.

She is young, and this does appear to be an issue of perception. She seems to have worked that out.

But, of course...recomp and bulking/cutting is always a great option.

Well it would have been nice to have all the information, :laugh: